Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   question about throw out bearing (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/question-about-throw-out-bearing-940047/)

shorty0o29 07-27-2004 02:53 PM

question about throw out bearing

how can you tell if the throwout bearing is worn....my car is very hard to get into gear sometimes and it also grinds. Today is started making a metal on metal contact sound and someone told me that my throwout bearing is bad......is that true

976 07-27-2004 02:56 PM

Re: question about throw out bearing (shorty0o29)

The throw out bearing for most honda's make a burning, hissing sound when worn. It's hard to explain... You should be able to hear it during idle... I would like to see what others have to say...

976 07-27-2004 02:57 PM

Re: question about throw out bearing (976)

When in doubt, bleed your clutch fluid system. Use ATF Typ Blue, that stuff rocks. THe NSX guys live by it!

shorty0o29 07-28-2004 09:34 AM

yeah it used to make that whining sound a few days ago but now it is making a metal on metal grinding sound(kinda hard to explain)

976 07-28-2004 10:34 AM

Re: question about throw out bearing (shorty0o29)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shorty0o29 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah it used to make that whining sound a few days ago but now it is making a metal on metal grinding sound(kinda hard to explain)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does it go away when you engage the clutch?

alleyezonme 07-28-2004 10:37 AM

Yea sit somewhere with your car on in neutral, then push the clutch in. If the sound stops it is your throwout bearing...

ITLNstallion818 07-28-2004 10:59 AM

Re: question about throw out bearing (bumpincivic20)

I have that same problem too, the hissing when hte clutch is not engaged, but when i engage it, it stops. its not a loud hissing, but when the air and music are turned off i can hear it. i'm wondering what I should do... how much is a new throwout bearing? or should i get a new clutch kit, i found an OEM one on ebay for like 135 shipped... i dont think the clutch has ever been replaced in 7 years, so it's probably pretty worn anyway...

Harry_Randal 07-28-2004 11:02 AM

Re: question about throw out bearing (ITLNstallion818)

I would just pick up a new set of bearings, pilot/release.

But if they sounds comes and goes as the clutch is engaged and disengaged its your bearings.

ITLNstallion818 07-28-2004 11:05 AM

Re: question about throw out bearing (Harry_Randal)

i am planning on replacing them now, but what if i didnt? what would happen if i continued to use a damaged throwout bearing? and how much would a new one be?

ITLNstallion818 07-28-2004 11:06 AM

is it easy to install?

SiYouLater 07-28-2004 11:09 AM

Yes its pretty easy to install. Just yank out the old one and stick in the new one. Make sure to put grease on it. Use this to do it: http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...2.php

Harry_Randal 07-28-2004 11:10 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITLNstallion818 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am planning on replacing them now, but what if i didnt? what would happen if i continued to use a damaged throwout bearing? and how much would a new one be?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am not sure what would happen, I have never went that far. I am assuming the bearing will fall apart and fail to do its job, causing metal to metal wear. Leading to god only knows what... cause I dont know what lol

Installation is easy, drop the tranny put the new bearings in place of the old ones, with some assembly lube.

ITLNstallion818 07-28-2004 11:16 AM

Re: question about throw out bearing (Harry_Randal)

drop the tranny? lol i'm not that advanced... i'd probably screw something up

SiYouLater 07-28-2004 11:23 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITLNstallion818 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">drop the tranny? lol i'm not that advanced... i'd probably screw something up</TD></TR></TABLE>
I installed a clutch my self last month. I am also a newbie. Just get a friend and try it. Take your time, its a good learning process. Use the instructions i have you. You might as well replace the clutch also. I recommend the Exedy Organic clutch. I got mine from http://www.clutchcityonline.com

ATFCanine 12-29-2004 09:03 PM

Yeah I also have the same problem on my 00 civic SI B16. I can hear that noise coming out of my engine but as soon as I even touch the clutch...just a lil it goes away. Any suggestions what the best throwout bearing would be? I would just replace it with my clutch...ACT and the flywheel. If anybody has a good link for the throwout bearings that would be nice.