Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

question about running rich

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about running rich

by any chance, would unbolting your muffler make your car run rich?
Old 04-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no. your muffler has nothing to do with your air/fuel ratio. do you know how an engine works?
Old 04-18-2004, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (MichaelJComputer)

Man i came into this thread looking for a serious question because im running rich as hell and would have liked to fix this problem before i go turbo. And then i see this **** and its like "what the ****!?!?"

Im jacking this thread just a little, If you get an adjustible FPR would that help you to smooth it out without losing hp or would you ahve to go to a dyno to have it work right?
Old 04-18-2004, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man i came into this thread looking for a serious question because im running rich as hell and would have liked to fix this problem before i go turbo. And then i see this **** and its like "what the ****!?!?"

Im jacking this thread just a little, If you get an adjustible FPR would that help you to smooth it out without losing hp or would you ahve to go to a dyno to have it work right? </TD></TR></TABLE>
wouldnt u gain horsepower if u ran a little leaner but more chance of hurting your motor?
Old 04-18-2004, 06:04 PM
rxse7n

Running very rich will reduce power and kill your gas milage. It is probably a leaky injector. Your exhaust has nothing to do with you running rich. You can get an adjustable FPR but if your injectors are leaking, it wont help. Fix your problems before you go turbo or try to add another part to fix something else that is broken.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:04 PM

I am also running rich and want to know the easiest way to fix it.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Re: (mario82686)

All of the people who are running rich, have you checked your O2 sensors lately? Because if it is not working it will tell the PCM to richen the fuel mixture.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:03 PM

its better to run rich than to run lean imo. bad gas mileage with rich or u could detonate while running too lean
Old 04-18-2004, 07:05 PM

Default Re: (JDMlifestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlifestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its better to run rich than to run lean imo. bad gas mileage with rich or u could detonate while running too lean</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is definately much better to run rich. Running too lean causes your engine to burn way too hot and can cause a lot of damage.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM-97CX)

i am actually running very lean right now because i have a turbo on my ls and i am not runing the fuel pump nor the fmu....and that is alot worst then runnin rich...but before turbo i was runnin rich because my o2 scensor that is supposed to be hooked up to my exaust manifold wasnt hooked up....and for the people who use the Autometer or any other brand air to fuel ratio gauge....best believe that its probably not reading accurate. most of those are bullshit best way is to get a compression test and put ur car on the machine they call ob2...which checks for every little flaw on ur motor
Old 04-18-2004, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92jdmhatch)

bravo..bravo.. this thread started out pretty useless..but it has done almost a 180....nice..i learned a little somethin at the end..hehe!
Old 04-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92RED Hatch)

Is there any test to be able to see if it is leaky injectors? Cause that might be it because i know my 02 sensor is working fine (atleast i believe it is)
Old 04-18-2004, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well if ur injector is leaking just turn on the car and see if theres fuel leaking from your injector if that is the case then just change ur injector seals 8 bucks for 1 injector seal kit.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92jdmhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if ur injector is leaking just turn on the car and see if theres fuel leaking from your injector if that is the case then just change ur injector seals 8 bucks for 1 injector seal kit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where would i see it leaking? On the IM? Cause i dont see any leaks.

Could changing the timing have anything to do with it maybe?
Old 04-18-2004, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you would see your leaks from the injector on the intake manifold and it will smell like gas big time...but....changing ur timing has nothing to do with it....thats for sure
Old 04-18-2004, 11:21 PM
Trial User

How could you tell or know that your 02 sensor is fucked. Engine light coming on? Mine doesn't just asking, cause I'm also running rich but just wanted to stop wasting so much gas. But I kind of like the whole blk smoke look when coming out of the muffler.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iluvGiRls)

not to sure how you would check your o2 scensor too see if its working properly but about the white smoke....sometimes theres white smoke coming out of ur muffler due to bent valves soo id get those checked out...once again compression test or tear apart your head
Old 04-19-2004, 03:10 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92jdmhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if ur injector is leaking just turn on the car and see if theres fuel leaking from your injector if that is the case then just change ur injector seals 8 bucks for 1 injector seal kit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think when somebody mentioned "leaky injector" they were talking the internals are leaking. Not the seal. An injector is nothing more than a sloenoid valve essentially. It opens and closes. That's the clicking you hear when the car is running. When one gets stuck open it leaks fuel constantly. And at around 40 psi at idle that can pump out quite a bit of fuel. This would make that one cylinder run rich.
I think that's what the guy was saying when he said leaky injector. A leaky injector seal wouldn't make your car run rich.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92jdmhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not to sure how you would check your o2 scensor too see if its working properly but about the white smoke....sometimes theres white smoke coming out of ur muffler due to bent valves soo id get those checked out...once again compression test or tear apart your head</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please stop talking.
First offf would you like to explain how white smoke is caused by bent valves? Because I think it is caused by coolant burning. I also think that I am right.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

If your 02 is crapping out, you'll get a CEL. May come on after warming up a bit.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92jdmhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am actually running very lean right now because i have a turbo on my ls and i am not runing the fuel pump nor the fmu....and that is alot worst then runnin rich...but before turbo i was runnin rich because my o2 scensor that is supposed to be hooked up to my exaust manifold wasnt hooked up....and for the people who use the Autometer or any other brand air to fuel ratio gauge....best believe that its probably not reading accurate. most of those are bullshit best way is to get a compression test and put ur car on the machine they call ob2...which checks for every little flaw on ur motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

Shut up now.

If you were running very lean on a turbo setup my guess is that you would not be running.

How in the hell is a compression test going to give you an air/fuel number.

And this "machine" that they call ob2? WTF are you babbling? Do you mean On Board Diagnostics 2?
Old 04-19-2004, 03:14 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Please stop talking.
First offf would you like to explain how white smoke is caused by bent valves? Because I think it is caused by coolant burning. I also think that I am right.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn you. That was gonna be my next reply.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:14 PM

Default Re: (Nihonjin Desu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nihonjin Desu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your 02 is crapping out, you'll get a CEL. May come on after warming up a bit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It is required by law that on any OBD2 car turn on the CEL whenever emissions are 1.5 times normal. Just thought I would throw that little piece of info out there.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:15 PM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Damn you. That was gonna be my next reply. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am teh winn3r.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:18 PM

i agree w/ the white smoke being the coolant and or water burning not a bent valve..

Quick Reply: question about running rich