Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about O2, please, need a post on it!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about O2, please, need a post on it!

Alright, I pulled my O2 today, because I think that it has gone bad. I have about 76k on the motor, and it bogs bad between 1500 and 2000 rpms. When I pulled it, there is like...a shell on the outside with holes in it or whatever, if you know what I am talking about. When I looked at it, it looked as though the shell is starting to disinegrate, cause half of it is gone, I have a CEL, and I went to AutoZone to get it checked, they said I have a custom ECU, but it says P2E right on it, and they said they couldn't check it, as far as I know, the P2E is stock...Well, anyways, could I be pretty positive that my O2 has gone bad??
Old 12-14-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Question about O2, please, need a post on it! (codyb13)

Autozone should just let you borrow their OBD2 reader and you can use it in the parking lot (mine did anyways). I was getting shitty gas mileage, and the idle would drop to almost nothing and occasionaly die when I let off the gas.

Mine looked fine when I pulled it out, but the CEL told me it was a bad primary. I replaced it with a $70 Bosch replacement from Pep Boys. 1 year later and it's going strong.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Question about O2, please, need a post on it! (undertheradar)

I'm pretty sure its the O2, cause it just doesn't look right, haha. But yeah, the guys at AutoZone in Holland, they are kind of stupid I think, most of them anyways, I mean, come on, he didn't even know where to look for my ECU, he went to the drivers side, haha but yeah, just trying to get second opinions, don't know what else it could be, after seeing that O2, I'll try to get pics up sooner or later haha, it is bad, alright, well thanks man.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:32 PM

You don't need to be anywhere near the ecu to read the codes. there is a black female plug under a plastic cover near where the fuse box is on the drivers side under the steering wheel. Just plug it in there.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by codyb13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. But yeah, the guys at AutoZone in Holland, they are kind of stupid I think, most of them anyways, I mean, come on, he didn't even know where to look for my ECU, he went to the drivers side, haha</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undertheradar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You don't need to be anywhere near the ecu to read the codes. there is a black female plug under a plastic cover near where the fuse box is on the drivers side under the steering wheel. Just plug it in there.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Now who looks stupid.
Go back, find out what the code is and come back.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Question about O2, please, need a post on it! (SOHCD16y8)

They were asking me where the ECU was, so I told them, and it is on passenger side. And when they saw it they say oh this is an aftermarket ECU, which it is not. SOHC your post was useless, next time say something useful. Oh yeah, and thanks, undertheradar.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No auto parts store will ever ask you where the ECU is. They ask you where the ECU hook-up is, and dont say thats not what they said because they have tested more cars then you have ever ridden in. WHich is why when you went to show them the ECU they said it was aftermarket because you had no hookup on that side. But either way while your sitting here telling me my post is useless your car is not running right. Kind of ironic.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Re: (SOHCD16y8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCD16y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No auto parts store will ever ask you where the ECU is. They ask you where the ECU hook-up is, and dont say thats not what they said because they have tested more cars then you have ever ridden in. WHich is why when you went to show them the ECU they said it was aftermarket because you had no hookup on that side. But either way while your sitting here telling me my post is useless your car is not running right. Kind of ironic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He did not say ECU hook up, he just said ECU, and I had someone with me, so I know I wasn't the only one who heard it, and I already know my car isn't running right. And your post does absolutely nothing so yeah it is useless, thanks though. How do you know what they would say anyways.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

the people at that Autozone need more education, maybe even past the third grade.
If you have a P2E you're OBD2 which means you plug the code reader in right above the drivers right knee. Go back and ask if they will let you scan the codes, the places around here will loan out the scanner if I give them my drivers license.
plug in the plug and follow the screens it's really easy.
I have personally done this twice this week for friends cars.

you can also pull them yourself but it's far less accurate.
http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/06.php

what the codes mean
http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/05.php
Old 12-16-2005, 04:40 AM

Default Re: (Relic1)

Yeah, I got it done, thanks. Got a code for primary O2 and also IACV But my idle isn't messed up, I don't notice it anyways, except for when it is cold, and I start my car, sometimes the idle drops and it almost stalls out, but other than that I bog real badly between 1500 and 2000 rpms, which I have been told is likely the cause of my O2...should I have to worry about IACV, already searched.