Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

question about my sound system

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about my sound system

hey guys i just put some new speakers in my 94 hatch DX
4 pioneer 220w speakers i believe with a pioneer radio
so now do i need like an amp or something?
so that i can have bass
if so what type of amp?
im guessing not anything 2 powerful since my speakers are not that powerful
so yea can anyone tell me how powerful the amp or whatever it is that i need has 2 be?
thank you very much guys
Old 12-13-2004, 03:52 AM

Default Re: question about my sound system (calel)

oh crap wrong place for this post huh?
sorry guys
Old 12-13-2004, 04:29 AM

Default Re: question about my sound system (calel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by calel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh crap wrong place for this post huh?
sorry guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah wrong forum but as far as powering your speakers with an amp make sure your speakers were MENT to be powered with an amp. Alot of times people think they can just wire up any amp to any speakers and it will sound better/louder but that's not how it goes. If the speakers were not designed to handle the added power they will blow. If you have some decent speakers that support an amp i'd recomend anything between 150-300 watts.

*EDIT* I also have a 450 and 300 watt amp made by MTX for sale if you're interested. about 5 months old and only used for 1 month.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that's hooey. Every amp has gain control on it which allows you to reduce the output. More speakers are destroyed due to LACK of power rather than being overpowered. If you have more power than you need, you simply don't turn it up as far, easy fix. If you are trying to strangle more volume from a small amp or just deck power when it can't deliver, it begins to clip the signal and create distortion. It's not always the speakers' fault when you hear that it's often the amp being overdriven.
Any speaker can be powered with an amp, however I always suggest even a small sub to send the bass to so you can cut the low end from your interior speakers. This will let you play them louder and they'll last longer.

I also have some audio for sale. A Soundstream 4-channel amp with crossovers, and a friend of mine has some new 8" Rockford Punch subs. LMK if interested.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:49 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (klungemonger)

Check those speakers. I really doubt those are 220watt speakers. Thats probly the MAX power it can take. Check your RMS rating. Base your amplifier purchase on that.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, yeah there's no way those things can take a continuous 220watt stream of power. But still, there is what's known as "dynamic headroom" which is good to have. If you're amp is easily able to drive your speakers and still have reserve power, it can handle signal input spikes and musical peaks without clipping or distortion.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (klungemonger)

Probably check the rms power rating for your speakers, it might just be 220 watts max. And also, if you're looking for bass, you might wanna looking into some subs or something depending on how much bass you want. And also depending on the kind of speakers you bought, whether its a midrange or highs or something, adding an amp might not give you more bass. But if you are looing for an amp, check the ohms of the speaker and get one that will work with the ohm load.