Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about motor mounts and axle/axle boot

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about motor mounts and axle/axle boot

What up guys. I have a couple of questios about my daily driver, it is a relatively stock 97 hatch. My motor mounts are pretty toast, I can see it and the shifter moves when I'm on/off the gas. What is a good place to get replacement mounts from? Also, when I turn left under power I hear a clunk clunk clunk coming from the passenger side front. If I had to guess I think it would be an axle. I looked under the car and the axle boot is off the axle. Would the problem be lack of grease or is the axle bad? K THANKS!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:02 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Question about motor mounts and axle/axle boot (that1s10)

If the axle is making noise it is toast. Don't bother trying to fix a clicking axle.

There are a few good sites to find OE engine mounts. Give me a minute and I'll find one and post it.

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...MOUNT

Modified by mcvtec at 10:10 AM 11/16/2008
Old 11-16-2008, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In my experience with the automotive world, when you find that you have a CV boot leaking grease, it's much easier and less a pain in the *** to just replace the whole axle.

When you consider that a BRAND NEW axle is only like 50 or 60 bucks from the local auto parts store and a boot and clamps are like 15 or so, it makes more sense to just replace the axle.

Also, repacking one of those boots with new grease is a HUGE mess and usually worth more trouble than just replacing the whole axle. Also, most of the time since it was leaking grease and unless you catch it when it has just starting leaking, there's very good chance that damage was done to the joint. Hence why I say just replace the whole axle.

And McVTEC was right on, Honda Automotive Parts is the place to go when you need OEM stuff. They're always cheaper than the dealership and very quick with shipping. They're located in RI, and usually only take about 3 or 4 days to get parts to me and I live in Iowa. Also, OEM mounts are good choice unless you're running a swap, then you would want to consider some aftermarkets. Only downside to aftermarket is that since they are stiffer they'll transmit more vibration to the chassis and interior. A new stock mount is plenty stiff, and they don't transmit the vibrations to the chassis.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:46 AM
Resident Gearhead

Default Re: (The_Honda_Guy)

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
Also, OEM mounts are good choice unless you're running a swap, then you would want to consider some aftermarkets. Only downside to aftermarket is that since they are stiffer they'll transmit more vibration to the chassis and interior. A new stock mount is plenty stiff, and they don't transmit the vibrations to the chassis.
Very true. Also I think a lot of people hear/read how aftermarket urethane mounts "transmit more vibration to the chassis" and don't realize that the vibration is actually noisy as well, very noisy in my case (and that's why all 3 of my Hasport mounts are sitting on a shelf in my room). I was shocked to hear how loud they were when I installed them, drove me insane so I removed them.

Yet others claim the same mounts don't cause any noise at all or very little. Go figure.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:47 AM

Default Re: (The_Honda_Guy)

Alrighty then. Thanks for the quick replies guys. I usually get my oem stuff from bernardiparts.com, seems to be about the same as Honda Automotive parts. On a side note, is it possible that the axle has been damaged due to the worn out motor mounts? Or is it probably it's own deal? Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Resident Gearhead

Default Re: (that1s10)

A ripped mount can cause axle misalignment which puts added stress on the CV joints, yet I doubt it's the reason the CV boot ripped. Add both together and it's just a matter of time before the axle fails.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:58 AM

Default Re: (mcvtec)

Yea, that's what I figured. Good times. On another side note Honda Automotive Parts prices seem to be a dollar or two cheaper than Bernardi
Old 11-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, Honda Automotive Parts is a great place to get your stuff from. Their customer service is excellent and they know their parts. I've asked them quite a few questions when I was pricing a suspension rebuild for a car and they got back to me in about a couple hours after each e-mail I sent.

It's not uncommon for those boots to rip. Over time the rubber just kind of dries out and tears. Sometimes it can be because of a rock or other road debris working it's way into the rubber also. Whatever the case, after they rip, it doesn't take long for the grease to come out since the axle is constantly spinning and pushing the grease out against the boot. My girlfriend's passenger side CV axle had managed to rip itself completely apart between oil changes without me noticing until I went to change the oil and saw the grease all over the suspension and wheel well. Like I said, clean it up and toss in a new CV shaft. Took me approximately 1 hour to do taking my time, pretty easy project.