Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about a LS swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about a LS swap

I might be buyin a 92 Civic Hatch, the guy is also selling an LS motor that I might buy. Is the LS swap into a 92 Hatch difficult, or better yet, worth it?
Old 02-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Question about a LS swap (djgruesome)

How is worth it better then difficult? people these days.

All up to you man, all up to you.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Question about a LS swap (ekdreamer)

well if its a difficult swap, but worth it in the long run, then i'd go for it, but if it was a easy swap, but u culd expect it to blow in a month, then i wuldnt go for it.

Also to, I don't plan to drive my engine really hard that often, maybe occasionaly, so unless the LS is known to blow for anything other then someone pushing it to hard, then I might go for it.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:52 PM

LS are not hard to swap if you know a little about cars
Old 02-16-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Question about a LS swap (del_orson)

Sorry im new to all this, the Hatch I might buy is pretty much stock, so will the B18 swap right in, or will i need to swap out parts like the tranny etc.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:12 AM

it is an easy swap, and will go right in.

ekdreamer....whatever motors you saw blowing, were peices of ****, or whoever was driving with them (hmm, you?) couldn't drive or BEAT the living hell out of it.

LS's are not known to blow, so whatever bull your supposivley seeing is a lie or someone is trying to rev the bitch to 10k on a stock block and head.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:22 AM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All B-series have separate trannies from the stock Civic's D-series, so yes, you will need a tranny. You'll also need B-series engine and tranny mounts, and depending on what year engine/tranny, the proper shifter and shift linkage. Don't forget the ECU of course. In the top right hand corner of the HT screen, there's a "search" link. Go there, select "archived" and search for "LS Swap", you'll turn up more info than you can read in a day, I'm sure.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:17 AM

will do, thanks for the advice, like i said im new to all this but what sscguy and 92civicb18b1 said helped out alot
Old 02-17-2005, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

search and talk to me on AIM.... sn is jdm ej1 95
Old 02-17-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Re: (JDM EJ1 95)

cool, if ur aim right now my sn is djgruesome
Old 02-17-2005, 07:20 AM
Bounty - € 8,000,000

Default Re: (djgruesome)

Its a good swap, especially with a GSR shift linkage and GSR stock shifter
Old 02-17-2005, 07:32 AM

do a search on a how to.. you just need regular tools.. and engine lift.. and a large socket for the axle nut.. any bseries instead of dseries is worth it..
Old 02-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (Tanmt)

swap is worth it and not hard. gsr tranny makes it even more worth it
Old 02-17-2005, 09:04 AM

yea its easy as **** and is worth it. as stated above go with a GSR tranny if possible, it is perfect for an LS, i have a b16 and its fun too but when im crusing at like 65 im at about 3500 RPM
Old 02-17-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: (ekdreamer)

it was a good bottom end
Old 02-17-2005, 03:20 PM

I have had good experience with LS motors myself... i've ran them boosted, NO2, and NA... pretty solid engine if done right
Old 02-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekdreamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually both were fully built and they weren't driven "too" hard at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, sure. JDmotorsport's has a built LS that he almost dailys on. There was something wrong with the driver, or the build.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Vero)

I'm gonna have to agree with Vero. The LS engines certainly don't have any bad reputation, and in an instance where two engines fail that have been modified, maybe well done or maybe not, doesn't prove anything. I've had my previous B18C5 fail twice. Does that mean they're a shitty engine?
Old 02-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sscguy)

the ls is a good swap for the hatch, espically if you plan on going turbo. i had an ls hatch beat me before (the guy said it was stock, but i asked around and it wasn't).
Old 02-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (steve00si)

thinking of doing an ls swap also. either that or a d16z6 ,but i cant find one worth putting in my car, so most likly going ls very soon. oh it will be boosted by summer time shooting for 300whp.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the ls is a good motor, but dont get the wrong idea, you cant just buy one, strap on a turbo turn up the boost and expect 300 whp. Im building one now, with a completely rebuild bottom end, boosted with good fuel system, going for 250-260 whp
Old 02-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHCD16y8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCD16y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the ls is a good motor, but dont get the wrong idea, you cant just buy one, strap on a turbo turn up the boost and expect 300 whp. Im building one now, with a completely rebuild bottom end, boosted with good fuel system, going for 250-260 whp</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah but a 7-9 lbs, you can expect between 180-200 to the ground
Old 02-17-2005, 09:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Vero)

Even if you don't boost it, a b18b with the right all-motor build up can still put a hurtin' on. Check out the all-motor forum as well, it's something to look into if the
"vrooom-skissssss" isn't your thing. Most importantly, you need to be setting your goals beforehand. I'm on AIM @ baronvonjeef if you have any swap questions. Good luck, man.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (steve00si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steve00si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the ls is a good swap for the hatch, espically if you plan on going turbo. i had an ls hatch beat me before (the guy said it was stock, but i asked around and it wasn't).</TD></TR></TABLE>

there was an ls swapped eh2 with a turbo on 7 psi rolling around my town. before it got stolen it handed more than a few fast cars their ***.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mle_92cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thinking of doing an ls swap also. either that or a d16z6 ,but i cant find one worth putting in my car, so most likly going ls very soon. oh it will be boosted by summer time shooting for 300whp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i had a boosted z6. it was fun but i wouldnt say powerful. if you are looking for 300whp, you would have to build the z6, and for that price you can get like 2 spare ls motors. thats what im doing

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
yeah but a 7-9 lbs, you can expect between 180-200 to the ground</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would say even more than that. with a decent sized t3/t4 you should be able to see close to 250whp on 9-10 psi. the uberdata .bin im gonna use to start with is a t3/to4 57 trim on 7 psi putting down 225whp.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeef84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Even if you don't boost it, a b18b with the right all-motor build up can still put a hurtin' on. Check out the all-motor forum as well, it's something to look into if the
"vrooom-skissssss" isn't your thing. Most importantly, you need to be setting your goals beforehand. I'm on AIM @ baronvonjeef if you have any swap questions. Good luck, man. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i would put considerable money that an ls with some raised compression and cams such as crower 403's would make 150+ whp and hurt up a good deal of bolt-on b series vtec motors. one of the most hurtful things to an ls being fast is its long tranny. get a shorter geared one and it will help tremendously.

hehe wow that was a lot to say
Old 02-18-2005, 07:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekdreamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually both were fully built and they weren't driven "too" hard at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I still say it was either built incorrectly or faulty driver. If any motor was rebuilt it should not blow unless there was some type of problem....improper break in, beatin the hell out of it, overrevving or some other type of human fault.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekdreamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One motor blew from a melted piston, just a mistake they made in the build up.. and it was a daily driver for my friends dad..its setup was
Golden Eagle Sleeves
JE pistons 9:1
Eagle rods
Stock gsr head
SC61 turbo
CCA Intercooler
And ShitBird Manifold
On 11.7 lbs

The other one was actually a regular daily driver and I think it was a valve float.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Melted piston...someone didn't know what the hell they were doing and couldn't tune. Again, it was the person who tuned it's fault, the motor could have been fine if it were in my hands, and I'm defenitly not a "tuner".

Valve float...hmm, how does this happen? Overrevving, driver error.

I've dealt with about 4 LS motors. 3 of them which were in my cars.

The first setup. 95 b18b1, ran perfect, nothing wrong, I ran it a little hard. 5k miles later I did a compression test and i had no more than a 2% dip in the cylinders, and all had around 185 psi in the cylinders. I turboed it and made 253 HP on the completely stock internals and head. Guess what it never blew...ever. I crashed the car and a friend of mine bought the car from the IC, and is still driving with that motor to this day.

My next setup a 91 b18a, again its in great condition. 180, 181, 180, 181 psi in the cylinders, thats less than a 2% drop. I haven't finished this project, but it runs excellent, I need a new trans or I would be driving it now. Im going turbo again, this time using a smaller turbo a t3 42/48, my goal is still 250 hp and I will do it on YES a stock block and head.

My other setup was a 94 b18b1 in near new condition, 185 psi with drop in any cylinder. Had it in my white hatch. Then sold the hatch and my sister stole the motor.

My other experience with an LS was an SC'ed LS. Some custom project with an M45 (something like that) my friend did. It came out decent, I think he dynoes somewhere around 220 hp on a conservative 8-9 psi.

Now all that and not one instance of a blown motor...and none of the internals were touched, you or whoever just can't drive and don't know how to tune and/or like to be cheap and not bring your car to a REPUTABLE tuner.

So thank you for your garbage comments, but your wrong and shouldn't be posting stupid sh*t like that, it's just misinforming people. Believe me I know plenty of people that criticize the LS and say get a GSR. No, I'll spend my little 2500-3500 on the whole project including the car (which I havent even spent that much...more like 2100 for everything so far, all completely legit) and have a nice fast car that will take out gsrs with ease. So thank you, come again when you can make a real logical and knowledgable attempt at saying LS's are known to blow or anything else at that you're probably completely wrong about.

Quick Reply: Question about a LS swap