Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about HID's

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about HID's

I am planning on getting HIDS for my EK and I have a couple of questions. I was wondering if they are easy to install/hook up? This is from a website that has install instructions: Connect the pins that go from the ballast wire to the socket where your original bulb pins were connected. If positive and negative markings are shown in the socket then our black attaches to the negative and our red attaches to the positive. If there are no markings on the factory socket, try them one way first. If the lights do not function, then reverse the wires. Reversing the polarity will not damage the lights; they simply will not function.

What is he talking about when he says "Connect the pins that go from the ballast wire to the socket where your original bulb pins were connected"?

What is the single wire at the top for? Where does it connect?

He also says this: After installing both headlights, be sure to check and properly aim your headlights; HID lamps may not aim in the same manner as your factory bulbs, and may cause unwanted glare if not readjusted.

How do you adjust EK headlights?

I was wondering what the number means? This is what the guy from the site says: Apparently brightness decreases as color temperature increases. Lower "K" color temperatures appear brighter. Does that mean that 6,000K is brighter than 10,000K? Which one would you reccomend me to get?

I was also wondering if $439 is high for 6,000K Hi/low beam HID's? Here is where I was planning on getting them from: http://hidupgrade.com/ I was wondering if anyone has purchased from them? If so was your experiences good/bad? Is the site reliable?

Modified by dawrenn at 9:30 PM 4/1/2005
Old 04-01-2005, 06:29 PM

sorry but that's a waste of money.

get a full oem retro fit to put in your.

you want bulbs, ignitors, balasts, and most importantly, projectors.

I have all but the projectors in mine now and it's bright but the light is very scattered. The projectors I have are too big to fit in the headlights I have.

The projectors will improve your light output by making all of the light output even, with a cutoff to not blind people.

I don't care about blinding people, helps me get even with all of the damn suv's of the world. but the light is strong in small spots and weak in others.

plus if you search the classifieds, you can get a whole set up for about 450 or so.

now to your original quesion.

they're talking about the socket that hooks onto the bulb it's self. the 3 prong female connector.

there is a huge thread on HID here if you serach in the archive. if you read it, it should answer all of your quesions on hid

but it's fairly easy to install. it took us about 2-3 hours to wire everything up correctly. if you don't know anything about wiring, get a friend who does.

Old 04-01-2005, 06:34 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (gftgrill)

"THE" HID Thread. Learn, Post Pics, Do it right.

Go there... you'll learn a lot.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Re: (gftgrill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gftgrill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry but that's a waste of money.

get a full oem retro fit to put in your.

you want bulbs, ignitors, balasts, and most importantly, projectors.

I have all but the projectors in mine now and it's bright but the light is very scattered. The projectors I have are too big to fit in the headlights I have.

The projectors will improve your light output by making all of the light output even, with a cutoff to not blind people.

I don't care about blinding people, helps me get even with all of the damn suv's of the world. but the light is strong in small spots and weak in others.

plus if you search the classifieds, you can get a whole set up for about 450 or so.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

How is it a waste of money? What is a retro fit? What is difference from what I posted and a whole set up?
Old 04-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dawrenn)

stickin aftermarket hids in the stock housings looks horrible most of the time cuz u end up with hot spots and scatter light. with a retro fit, u r basically takin a stock hid setup from a stock hid-equip vehicle and puttin it in ur car. go check out http://www.hidplanet.com and you will c the difference. do ur research and attempt to do a retro fit, if not, there is ppl on hidplanet that does it for u for a fee.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How is it a waste of money? What is a retro fit? What is difference from what I posted and a whole set up?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-01-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: (CivicSiRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSiRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stickin aftermarket hids in the stock housings looks horrible most of the time cuz u end up with hot spots and scatter light. with a retro fit, u r basically takin a stock hid setup from a stock hid-equip vehicle and puttin it in ur car. go check out http://www.hidplanet.com and you will c the difference. do ur research and attempt to do a retro fit, if not, there is ppl on hidplanet that does it for u for a fee.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I see the difference. I dont think I am going to get them, I dont want to deal with modifying the headlights since I am going to be getting CTR's or SIR's
Old 04-02-2005, 06:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How is it a waste of money? What is a retro fit? What is difference from what I posted and a whole set up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You obviousley didnt even read my last post...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civic4less &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"THE" HID Thread. Learn, Post Pics, Do it right.

Go there... you'll learn a lot. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-02-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Re: (Civic4less)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civic4less &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You obviousley didnt even read my last post...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

**** that, I dont want to take the headlights apart. The HID's will be going in authentic CTR's.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

.... which will not only blind oncoming traffic, but will give you horrible output as the light will be dispersed everywhere...

need some projectors retrofitted in to them
Old 04-03-2005, 03:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** that, I dont want to take the headlights apart. The HID's will be going in authentic CTR's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stop being a ******* baby. Do it right the first time. I hope you Blind a 6'5 290 lb linebacker and he beats the **** out of you..

******* up peoples eyes cause you want cool lights... Now thats fucked up have some Respect for the people in the world that actually want to see.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:12 AM

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Stop being a ******* baby. Do it right the first time. I hope you Blind a 6'5 290 lb linebacker and he beats the **** out of you..

******* up peoples eyes cause you want cool lights... Now thats fucked up have some Respect for the people in the world that actually want to see. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you mean stop being a baby? I dont want to take $450 headlights apart. If I mess them up will you buy me new headlights? I dont think so. Anyway someone said I could get caspers shields and that would help.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:42 AM
ballin

What do you mean stop being a baby? I dont want to take $450 headlights apart. If I mess them up will you buy me new headlights? I dont think so. Anyway someone said I could get caspers shields and that would help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HIDs are not for you then...

Why do you want HIDs? Just to look cool, or for better lighting?
Old 04-03-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Re: (Chong)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chong &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

HIDs are not for you then...

Why do you want HIDs? Just to look cool, or for better lighting?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I want them for better lighting, Some of the roads where I live suck ****. It also rains alot around here.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:55 AM
ballin

I want them for better lighting, Some of the roads where I live suck ****. It also rains alot around here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

From what I've seen in pictures, generally, retro fits give way better lighting then aftermarket kits.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chong)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chong &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

From what I've seen in pictures, generally, retro fits give way better lighting then aftermarket kits. </TD></TR></TABLE>

burn... and jdmlyfestyledoes retrofits at very good prices, he does something like 3 a weekfor people,and you cant get better than oem cutoff the shields you can get are ebtter then nothing but still not as good as an oem full projector...