Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about GSR swap into an Si

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about GSR swap into an Si

A friend of mine has an Si with a B18c1 swap. It's been swapped a long time ago, but just recently it started idling really bad. When you start it up it idles high, then about 5 seconds later it starts idling high and low, high and low, and doesn't stop. If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know soon. Thanks
Old 03-10-2003, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about GSR swap into an Si (FastGirlRacer)

what kind of SI.

which year model ?

when was the last time he did a tune-up, changed this timing belt ??
Old 03-10-2003, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Question about GSR swap into an Si (sshaikh01)

99-00
I'm not sure about a tune-up, but the swap has about 20,000 miles on it.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Depending on what year that B18C1 is, it could be:

1. Coolant level.

Being low on coolant will cause an irratic idle. Check the simplest/cheapest things first

2. Fast idle valve. This was found on the 1994-1995 GS-Rs and possibly on some later models. This valve is located on the bottom side of the throttle body. It has a few coolant hoses going to it, and it regulates the idle when the motor is cold.

Inside of this valve is a spring loaded plate that shuts on/off depending on coolant temoerature going through it. Most likely the plastic plate inside of the valve has come unscrewed. You can take the end cap off of the FIV and put some Hondabond on the plate and rethread it back in place.

3. Electronic Air Idle Control Valve.

This is located on the intake manifold itself. This part is way more expensive and is unlikely to be your problem.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First he should check all vacuum lines, make sure nothing is disconnected or riddled with holes. Adjust the idle screw on the throttle body, see if it makes a difference. Expensive scenario: could be a bad Idle air control valve (IACV), or Fast Idle Thermo Valve.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Question about GSR swap into an Si (B18C5-EH2)

Also, supporting Tom's with the low coolant. Make sure there is little if NO bubbles inside the coolant system. Simply "burp" the system by making sure the car is completely cold.

Take off the radiator cap, then turn on the car. Allow the car to fully warm up with the radiator cap off. Let all of the air bubbles out, also squeeze the bottom & top radiator hose to get all the air bubbles up and make sure the coolant levels as well as overflow is at proper levels.

HTH.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Depending on what year that B18C1 is, it could be:

1. Coolant level.

Being low on coolant will cause an irratic idle. Check the simplest/cheapest things first

2. Fast idle valve. This was found on the 1994-1995 GS-Rs and possibly on some later models. This valve is located on the bottom side of the throttle body. It has a few coolant hoses going to it, and it regulates the idle when the motor is cold.

Inside of this valve is a spring loaded plate that shuts on/off depending on coolant temoerature going through it. Most likely the plastic plate inside of the valve has come unscrewed. You can take the end cap off of the FIV and put some Hondabond on the plate and rethread it back in place.

3. Electronic Air Idle Control Valve.

This is located on the intake manifold itself. This part is way more expensive and is unlikely to be your problem.
follow these steps in the exact same sequence. I had the same trouble too when I first had my swap.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Question about GSR swap into an Si (poison)

well I (robert) have a jdm b16 in a 95 sol, and we have changed out the eaic valve because the computer was signaling this item. so lets narrow it down a little.

the coolant has happened to me, so that will be next/ if you can explain more on the fast idle valve... it's on the bottom side of the tb?

that could be possible and we have checked most vaccum lines,nada

thanks for your quick responses!
Old 03-10-2003, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

remove the t/b and then remove the 2 8mm bolts on the back side and remove the plate. you will see a big white screw inside. use a quarter to tighten it all of the way. install t/b back and bleed coolant.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:58 PM
Former Moderator

Again I say the FIV is the most common idle-related problem aside from bad vacuum routing.

The FIV is held on with some 12mm nuts I believe. The end cap is gold colored and is held on with two phillips screws,

Remove the FIV by removing those 12mm nuts and then you can inspect the insides by removing that end cap with the phillps screw driver.

If the white plastic piece (flat big-*** plate) is loose inside, then simply dab some RVT sealent or Hondabond on the edges and screw it back in and adjust the idle with the idle mixture screw to compensate for the new position of the plate in the FIV.

If the spring inside os bent or broken, then just buy a new FIV.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:00 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: Question about GSR swap into an Si (BCRUZspec)

remove the t/b and then remove the 2 8mm bolts on the back side and remove the plate. you will see a big white screw inside. use a quarter to tighten it all of the way. install t/b back and bleed coolant.
The only reason I say not to remove the TB is because the TB gasket almost always tearsm and it's rarely ever ib stock at the dealer.

You can remove it w/o having to remove the TB in most cases, but just in case order a TB gasket anyways.

Removing the TB is easy as hell, but that gasket can cause some headaches.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:18 PM

Robert again here...

so the fiv is actually a part on the bottom of the tb, and just inspecting/replacing, possibly just tightening it will more than likely fix. now about bleeding the coolant
there is no bleed valve that I can find like on my sol. So I guess We'll try the burp method ____ thanks again guys