Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about GSR in 93 EG

Old 02-10-2003, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about GSR in 93 EG

i recently put in a b18 vtec in my eg. i am looking to put an exhaust on it. i bought a type r dc header for it. my question is this, what kind of modifications am i looking at if i bought a type r exhaust system. i know the hangers would probably need to be moved which isnt a problem, but i am curious as to what other little problems i might run in too. thanks everybody
Old 02-10-2003, 05:36 AM

Default Re: Question about GSR in 93 EG (Blkhatchbk)

anybody?
Old 02-10-2003, 12:48 PM

i am sure the hangers will need some work.....

just take it to an exhaust shop and the'll make it work for you....

did you get that exhaust for cheap???

just wondering because you could just get custom piping at your local exhaust shop for maybe the same amount of money....

i dont think that just because it says type r or is from a type r that that part is necessarily better than a cheaper less known part.....(my 2 cents)

[Modified by degooser, 9:50 PM 2/10/2003]
Old 02-10-2003, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Question about GSR in 93 EG (degooser)

actually, i havent gotten the exhaust yet, just the headers, i have gotten custom done before and it was crap. so i want to try to get something i can buy that is made for it i gues.s but thanks for the info
Old 02-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you have a GSR swap, any exhaust system that you buy will have to be slightly modified (extended). I'm not sure how the Type-R piping is routed, but even if it fit the chassis the piping would still be to short to reach a GSR header. Since you bought a Type-R header it should be the right length to fit an EG catback system if the full Type-R system doesn't fit.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about GSR in 93 EG

I know there's a manufacturer out there that makes catalytic converters designed for engine swaps... meaning if you swapped in one of their cats you could link up your GSR engine to an exhaust designed for the Civic. That means you could use your header and a Civic exhaust without any cutting, etc.

That's just an alternate suggestion... I think that's what I'd do when I go to do the swap on my coupe.

UPDATE: I found the article where I read that from. It's from SCC's Project Honda Civic:
Fortunately, we were turned on to the PowerCore line of direct-fit catalytic converters from Landspeed Racing. Having encountered the same problem themselves, the folks at Landspeed decided to produce a line a cats of varying sizes for Hondas that will fit any combination of engine, header, chassis and exhaust system. After providing Landspeed our engine, header and chassis specs, we were promptly sent a cat that bolted everything together perfectly.

[Modified by ryanhook, 6:34 PM 2/10/2003]