Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about ext. ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about ext. ball joints

I've been talking to some buddies about getting my car lower and they mention that lowered ball joints would help. Is there any benefit for a lowered car to have extended ball joints?
Old 08-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about ext. ball joints

NOT EXACTLY SURE WHAT EXTENDED BALL JOINTS ARE(???) BUT... front camber kit will be a plus to have especially if your gonna slam your car
Old 08-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive never heard of lowered or extended ball joints. maybe extended lug studs and new ball joints?
Old 08-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no.. just no.. and a camber kit is a waste of money.. lower your car, get an alignment, win..
Old 08-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lunareg
no.. just no.. and a camber kit is a waste of money.. lower your car, get an alignment, win..
WHAT??? the lower u go the more negative camber u will have and ur gonna *** up ur tires... so i would invest in a $100-$150 front camber kit... if ur gonna get a alignment and just adjust toe and not camber then there really no sense of getting a alignment unless camber is no that far out of spec(which it will be if ur lowering it)
Old 08-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95EG2
WHAT??? the lower u go the more negative camber u will have and ur gonna *** up ur tires... so i would invest in a $100-$150 front camber kit... if ur gonna get a alignment and just adjust toe and not camber then there really no sense of getting a alignment unless camber is no that far out of spec(which it will be if ur lowering it)
No... Search for the thread about NOT needing camber kits... You will learn a lot...

Also, camber kits SPECIFICALLY say, FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY. they are not safe for daily driving.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95EG2
there is seriously no point in fixing your camber.. your toe getting thrown off is what eats tires.. but I have a skunk2 front kit that the dude left in my hatch when i bought it if your interested ^^
Old 08-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. I know about getting the alignment. Just wasn't sure about ext ball joints. Here is the link of what my boys were talking about. http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewP...1&idcategory=0 One of my friends had a camber kit on his eg and end up breaking it cuz it of it slamming into the strut tower. So i plan on avoiding that.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dig around in the suspension and autoX forums. These have been covered in there pretty well. They aren't necessary but they are nice. I plan on getting some, mainly because they cost about as much as replacement OEM balljoints..
Old 03-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depending on how low you go, youre going to want extended ball joints. lowering your car afects your center of gravity and roll center. Exte ball Join move the upper assembly and maintains your lca back to its normal position. If you are ever turning and you head a bump, your wheel wants to jerk a lil that way because the wheel is getting pushed too far up so it can only turn after that. They help alot on highway as well. Much quicker response too. You WILL notice a difference if you get them I did. On the track and off.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what you buddy is talking about is call king pin included angle it is the first angle of 2 to get your S.A.I. angle and yes a camber kit ie: new control arm will help take care of this .
Old 03-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by honda fossil
what you buddy is talking about is call king pin included angle it is the first angle of 2 to get your S.A.I. angle and yes a camber kit ie: new control arm will help take care of this .
LOLWUT

Extended ball joints AKA Roll center adjusters.

Also, You do know this thread is from 2010, right!?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

roll center is also yaw angle as you raise and lower a car the control arm move up and down change it's at rest postion witch now mean your ball joint are now at a more extreme angle causing more stress at the joint by sliding the upper joint in and out (to change camber ) you change the angle that is drawn from the lower and upper joints. also to change your roll center you would have to relocate the control arm or get a different knuckle
Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Extended ball joints casue the kunckle to raise which does the same thing to the UCA.

Why in the world would you need to change the kunkcle or the UCA.

Several of my friends run RCA's and only 1 has ever had any issues. That was slamming the UCA into the shock tower due to being to low.
All cars ran stock knuckles and UCA's, except for 1.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to help clear this up extended ball will change roll center and put the ball joint back in centered postion with out changing camber. changing the uca as most camber kit are will allow you to move the upper joint to camber and put the ball joint back in centered postion with out changing roll center. but with doing nothin eveything is out and your joint are at extreme off center allowing your tires to gain advantage ( leaverage) over your suspension causeing brakes and cracks or premeture failure at your joint.