Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about 3" cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about 3" cold air intake(tried search)

I just placed a bid on a 3" Cold air intake off of ebay...yeah its generic...but i heard that the ITR intake from AEM was a 3" so i figured it would be good. What would your thoughts be? BTW.....I have a 95 civic Eg(intake was designed for a 99-00 si) B18c1 with Supertech valves,valvesprings, Skunk2 manifold,Greddy header,greddy exhaust, Skunk2 stg 2 cams, HKS cam gears and Rc 310cc injectors tuned with a vafc....my current intake is a EG6 airbox but i unplug the tube when i race. This would be the first generic part i have ever planned on buying? what do you think...

Modified by tempsohc at 10:59 PM 5/23/2006
Old 05-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about 3" cold air intake (tempsohc)

Generic intakes are the same as anyother name brand just the filter difference.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you think it will perform the same as the AEM intake for the ITR?....i've seen many dyno on HT that show the 3" intake being the best...so just was wondering
Old 05-23-2006, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Question about 3" cold air intake (99FBPSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99FBPSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Generic intakes are the same as anyother name brand just the filter difference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not true
Old 05-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about 3" cold air intake (thahuhstunna)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thahuhstunna &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not true</TD></TR></TABLE>
Please explain why it isn't true? Besides the filter the pipe is just a pipe.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about 3" cold air intake (99FBPSi)

Yes most CAI that are the same diameter will get similar results(although I think the ducting stufff might not work so well because of all the ribs in the piping and it flexes/moves really easily). go ahead and get that intake, then go to an auto parts and get a K&N cone filter. Hell go ahead and get some good high temp spraypaint in any color you want (or in the red or blue to make it look idntical to an AEM) and make it a cool looking generic part .

The only time you need a name brand intake is for things like CARB #s(damn CA smog laws )
Old 05-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about 3" cold air intake(tried search) (tempsohc)

Or instead of getting the intake just buy a K&N panel filter and remove your resonator.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:07 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm rocking a spoon foam filter in my factory airbox. Works just dandy.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:37 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aallbbeerrtttttt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what isn't true? besides the filter, isn't the rest just piping? what makes AEM better than ebay intake pipes? is it cause AEM are blue?...stfu n00b and stop listening to what your brothers girlfriends boss daughters boyfriends uncle tells you

****, i bet if i go to home depot and get 3" heater duct and i put that over my throttle body and run it straight down to my bumper, and stick a k&n filter on there, i'd get the same dyno results as your AEM cold air intake</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've had both. The ebay version, the supports broke off. The filter literally broke in half and fell off and the vibration rubbed a hole through it.

I spent the money on an AEM and 2+ years with 0 issues.

As far as HP/TQ numbers go, there probably isn't a major difference.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Question about 3" cold air intake (aallbbeerrtttttt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aallbbeerrtttttt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what isn't true? besides the filter, isn't the rest just piping? what makes AEM better than ebay intake pipes? is it cause AEM are blue?...stfu n00b and stop listening to what your brothers girlfriends boss daughters boyfriends uncle tells you

****, i bet if i go to home depot and get 3" heater duct and i put that over my throttle body and run it straight down to my bumper, and stick a k&n filter on there, i'd get the same dyno results as your AEM cold air intake</TD></TR></TABLE>

give it a shot, and you'll see why your wrong... "generic" intakes typically vary in the type of material used for the piping (usually whatever is handy and cheapest to manufacter)... other intakes (and there are more brands out there than simply AEM and Injen asshat) that are manufactured under a named brand (although many are made from the same manufacturer) use a variety of more efficient materials (most common being aluminum alloy), which as a material is far-less restrictive and maintains airflow efficiency... it speaks to your character that you'd resort to name-calling and the like instead of substantiating your argument, and calling me a ******* noob although you dont even know who the expletive i am;
Old 05-24-2006, 02:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Piping is piping, it'll probably work just fine the filter is where the difference is, but my question is this: with ur greddy this and greddy that, skunk2 this, and skunk2 that, why u going generic CAI?
Old 05-24-2006, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well the reason being...is that i already purchased a Spoon filter for the Eg airbox and to honest the Eg airbox sucks major *****...my car has a hard time pulling my friends Ls with I/h/e i only pull him 1 car but if i remove the tube from the box i yank him easily 3 cars...I dont really wanna run the ITR CAI...cause it runs under the frame instead of through the hole which i think is cleaner. This intake is 3 inch and it runs 99-00 civic si style...so i killed 2 birds with one stone...the only thing left on my mind is if it'll perform. Bang for the buck ownz...by the way out of all the parts i listed i only bought the valvetrain and the cams brand new everything else was second hand.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

heres pic of my motor....non believer..if you need more pics lmk...so i can put down the thought that i am just yappin

http://myspace-099.vo.llnwd.ne...l.jpg

http://myspace-875.vo.llnwd.ne...l.jpg

Modified by tempsohc at 6:36 AM 5/24/2006

Modified by tempsohc at 6:37 AM 5/24/2006
Old 05-24-2006, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (tempsohc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tempsohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just placed a bid on a 3" Cold air intake off of ebay...yeah its generic...but i heard that the ITR intake from AEM was a 3" so i figured it would be good. What would your thoughts be? BTW.....I have a 95 civic Eg(intake was designed for a 99-00 si) B18c1 with Supertech valves,valvesprings, Skunk2 manifold,Greddy header,greddy exhaust, Skunk2 stg 2 cams, HKS cam gears and Rc 310cc injectors tuned with a vafc....my current intake is a EG6 airbox but i unplug the tube when i race. This would be the first generic part i have ever planned on buying? what do you think...

Modified by tempsohc at 10:59 PM 5/23/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have all this...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tempsohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well the reason being...is that i already purchased a Spoon filter for the Eg airbox and to honest the Eg airbox sucks major *****...my car has a hard time pulling my friends Ls with I/h/e i only pull him 1 car but if i remove the tube from the box i yank him easily 3 cars...I dont really wanna run the ITR CAI...cause it runs under the frame instead of through the hole which i think is cleaner. This intake is 3 inch and it runs 99-00 civic si style...so i killed 2 birds with one stone...the only thing left on my mind is if it'll perform. Bang for the buck ownz...by the way out of all the parts i listed i only bought the valvetrain and the cams brand new everything else was second hand.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and you have trouble with this?
You know what I run for an intake? A 3in pipe from Autozone with a Trust filter on it. Works just great.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:35 AM
HT White Ops

there is no way a factory intake is making you loose against an n/a ls with a modded c1 ..... ....
Old 05-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

About the only difference is quality..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Ej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've had both. The ebay version, the supports broke off. The filter literally broke in half and fell off and the vibration rubbed a hole through it.

I spent the money on an AEM and 2+ years with 0 issues.

As far as HP/TQ numbers go, there probably isn't a major difference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My girlfriends did the same thing.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:41 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Question about 3" cold air intake(tried search) (tempsohc)

Not bothering with the arguements, but yeah a generic 3" intake piping with a K&N will probably be just as good as a 3" AEM.

I'm trying to get rid of my Fake J's for a 3" with K&N
Old 05-24-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Question about 3" cold air intake(tried search) (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thahuhstunna &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
other intakes (and there are more brands out there than simply AEM and Injen asshat) that are manufactured under a named brand (although many are made from the same manufacturer) use a variety of more efficient materials (most common being aluminum alloy), which as a material is far-less restrictive and maintains airflow efficiency... </TD></TR></TABLE>

As far as maintaining air flow efficiency, very few motors (only highly modified ones) will max out the air flow potential of a generic intake, so that ends up not making any difference at all 99.999% of the time. Also, the shape of the intake would have a hell of a lot more to do with restrictive turbulence in the intake that the material its made out of, but luckily this too isn't an issue 99.999% of the time.

IMO, buy a name brand intake if you need the carb # that's stamped on them, cause that's all you are really paying for that a generic intake can't do.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a ram air intake I bought from ebay on my hatch. I painted it with the ceramic paint from auto zone and have not have a problem with it since. Like you said a tube is a tube. And since the civic intake doesn't any mass air flow sensors hooked up to it or anything the ebay one is fine. Mine is a brand called bomz or some crap like that. I like it and for 1/3 the price of the AEM on I will take it.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Manga_Spawn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm rocking a spoon foam filter in my factory airbox. Works just dandy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how does the spoon foam filter do? Can u notice a performance increase? was it worth the money?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:29 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thahuhstunna &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">give it a shot, and you'll see why your wrong... "generic" intakes typically vary in the type of material used for the piping (usually whatever is handy and cheapest to manufacter)... other intakes (and there are more brands out there than simply AEM and Injen asshat) that are manufactured under a named brand (although many are made from the same manufacturer) use a variety of more efficient materials (most common being aluminum alloy), which as a material is far-less restrictive and maintains airflow efficiency...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Are you retarded? It's a friggin' intake pipe. How does the material the tube is made from going to restrict airflow?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with the stock airbox with resonator removed the spoon filter added a little more noise...and it made the top end feel stronger...although i felt no loss in power from my injen short ram..it seems that it is allot slower.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:48 PM

I think what he tried to say is, the smoother the surface area of the material, the better the airflow (in theory, less restrictive=more air). If that matters in a Honda engine is another story. I would be interested to see what happened (if anything at all) if you polished the inside of the intake pipe?!
Old 05-24-2006, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Question about 3" cold air intake (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you retarded? It's a friggin' intake pipe. How does the material the tube is made from going to restrict airflow? </TD></TR></TABLE>
^^the question was referring to piping of a cold air intake, where the objective is to maximize airflow of cold air... the purpose of this is to bring in more oxygentated air into the manifold... the material of the piping does depend on the amount of oxygenated air brought into the throttle body as materials (such as the aformentioned aluminum alloy) allow for a greater amount... glad to see you, instead of countering my argument with a technical answer, preferred to result to name calling...very effective

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by termi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think what he tried to say is, the smoother the surface area of the material, the better the airflow (in theory, less restrictive=more air). If that matters in a Honda engine is another story. I would be interested to see what happened (if anything at all) if you polished the inside of the intake pipe?!</TD></TR></TABLE>
^^without boring you with a lecture on terminal velocity, what you are referring to may apply with regards to aerodynamics, but not in this case.

all in all the difference in HP attained from these various intakes is rather insignificant, however to say that they would be the same would be wrong, as the name brand intake (for most brands) with a higher grade of materials, would be far-more efficient
Old 05-24-2006, 08:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thahuhstunna &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^the question was referring to piping of a cold air intake, where the objective is to maximize airflow of cold air... the purpose of this is to bring in more oxygentated air into the manifold... the material of the piping does depend on the amount of oxygenated air brought into the throttle body as materials (such as the aformentioned aluminum alloy) allow for a greater amount... glad to see you, instead of countering my argument with a technical answer, preferred to result to name calling...very effective
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If by oxygenated, you're referring to the idea that cold air is more dense, then wouldn't a plastic intake be ideal instead of any type of metal that conducts heat? With the exception of the iceman intake, which is plastic, no name brand intake is going to stay cooler than a generic one.

As for your terminal velocity bullshit, what makes you think that air is flowing through your intake as fast as it possibly can, and some how the resistance of the sides of the intake is limiting its speed? Your engine displacement and rpm determines how much air is needed, which your stock intake is more than capable of supplying even at wot at redline. Not to mention that your intake manifold and head ports are limiting air flow far more than your intake is. The air intake system of a motor is only as good as its most restrictive point, which is not your intake.

I've countered both of your arguments with technical answers, but if you keep preaching bullshit, I will soon resort to name calling because that seems to be the only thing you understand.

Quick Reply: Question about 3" cold air intake