Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Quaife rack/pinion kit problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quaife rack/pinion kit problem

Some time ago I bought a Quaife 2.83 steering rack and pinion kit. It's for a 92-95 LHD Civic. I'm getting rid of my itr rack, because I need more space for the turbo. I've bought a used manual lhd rack and thought it would be simple to change the rack/pinion, but.. No. It isn't. The problem is rather simple and looks more or less like this:

The pinion is about 2.5" shorter than the stock one!!!!!!! Has anyone had a similiar problem? Did Quaife send me the wrong kit or what? I've already contacted my local Quaife distributor, but I thought I'd ask if anyone had the same problem..

If a moderator decides this thread is in a wrong place - please move it to where it should be.

Oh.. By the way: Hello from Warsaw/Poland as I think this is my first post on H-T
Old 08-01-2013, 01:39 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: Quaife rack/pinion kit problem

Sorry for bumping this crazy old thread, but for future search reference, YES they did send the wrong rack & pinion. That shorter 2.8 Lock-to-lock pinion is only a direct bolt-on for the older EF/CRX steering gearbox. I'm installing an Quaife EG rack & pinion right now and doesn't have nearly as many teeth on it. Here's a pic of the Quaife 3.2 Lock-to-lock pinion made specifically for the EG (left):

I have seen where people made this EF rack & pinion work in an EG by cutting the old pinion shank and welding it to the Quaife one to make it long enough. Then you have to use a die grinder to hog out the space inside the steering gearbox for EF's larger diameter at the gear teeth. The support bearing is the same for both. You just have to make extra clearance for the larger teeth. That is how you get 2.8 lock to lock in an EG. Here's a pic of the EG gearbox bowl clearenced for the Quaife EF pinion (referenced from this thread: http://kseries.hybrid-racing.com/showthread.php?t=591 ):

BTW: According to my calcs, even the 3.2 L2L kit has an ever so slightly quicker steering ratio than an Integra power steering rack. The reason the Integra PS rack has less L2L is because the EG/DC power racks have less total steering angle than the manual racks. This makes them tricky to compare.