Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

is putting an SI intake Manifold and throttle body on a CX motor gonna help at all?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is putting an SI intake Manifold and throttle body on a CX motor gonna help at all?

i have an exhaust and intake and i have an SI intake mani and TB sittin in my room , i am gonna use it when i put the SI head on my car but for now will it help at all on my 8 valve CX? what if i just put the TB on the current intake mani? will it hurt it?

mike
Old 01-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: is putting an SI intake Manifold and throttle body on a CX motor gonna help at all? (civicracer

throttle body's the same size, but the intake mani will flow a little better. Kind if a hassle getting those nuts underneath the runners though. I would just wait for the head swap, but it will help some.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:50 AM

Default Re: is putting an SI intake Manifold and throttle body on a CX motor gonna help at all? (civicracer

i tried to put the throttle body on and the sensors are diff?? there is no map sensor that i can find on the SI one.. the CX one has 2 plugs and the SI only 1 Why??the car wouldnt start when i put it on with only 1 plug..
Old 01-04-2003, 08:08 AM
New User

After you're done playing around with that, email me if you want a chip. Real power gain there!

[Modified by charjacq, 5:09 PM 1/4/2003]
Old 01-04-2003, 10:24 AM
I really don't know

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fixing up a CX motor is pointless.

save money and buy atleast a 16 valve sohc 1.5 swap

if you want your CX motor to go faster and you dont want a 16 valve get a SI tranny. CX gearing sucks for speed, but great for cruising
Old 01-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

throttle body's the same size, but the intake mani will flow a little better. Kind if a hassle getting those nuts underneath the runners though. I would just wait for the head swap, but it will help some.
you sure about them being the same size? the cx tb is teeny tiny...
Old 01-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you sure about them being the same size? the cx tb is teeny tiny...
The throttle bodies are not the same size. You cant even put a si TB on a cx manifold.

It is not worth your time to put the intake manifold and TB on before the head swap.
I've ridden in a cx, before and after a IM swap and it actually felt a bit slower with the EX manifold. It lost the little mid range it had before and didnt seem to gain anything on the top end.

Unless you plan to swap a 16valve head on it, DO NOT bother with the cx motor.
I rode in a '93 cx, fully gutted, with ex tranny, ex intake manifold, short ram intake, dx exhaust manifold and a straight pipe.
That car was a dog and would've lost to a stock dx.

Old 01-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the reason the Si TB is different is becuase it most likely came off a model where the map is mounted on the firewall. All you do is take the stock map off the CX TB and use a small amount of vacuum line to the bottom of the sensor.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, the bolt pattern on the two TB's are different.
Therefore, they are not interchangable.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:01 PM

buy a 16 valve head, Z6 intake mani, B series TB and slap that on.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:25 PM

c'mon, stock Z6 flows better than ported y8.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you pull your head off, make sure you have 16 total valve indents on your pistons. Cx heads only have 8 valves and i would hate to see all that work not pay off when a valve smacks a piston. then again, maybe there is enough room for the valves with out the indents. no one seems to know for sure.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you pull your head off, make sure you have 16 total valve indents on your pistons. Cx heads only have 8 valves and i would hate to see all that work not pay off when a valve smacks a piston. then again, maybe there is enough room for the valves with out the indents. no one seems to know for sure.
I cant speak for all CX's, but my '93 cx pistons had indentions for 16 valves.