Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

putting OBD1 motor into OBD2 car....need wiring harness help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default putting OBD1 motor into OBD2 car....need wiring harness help

I am putting an obd1 ZC vtec that was in a 94 EX into a 96 CX that had a D15 vtec, (Sorry if this is a dumb question but I know nothing about Dseries motors)

What do I have to do as far as wiring and ECU to get this to work?

Im guessing that I will run the OBD2 harness, ECU, injectors and dizzy on the OBD1 motor, is this right?

also what about the crank sensor? the other motor dosent have one

I searched but mostly found OBD2 motors going into OBD1 cars, if you have a good link please post it
Old 01-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: putting OBD1 motor into OBD2 car....need wiring harness help (Scotty Dosent Know)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scotty Dosent Know &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am putting an obd1 ZC vtec that was in a 94 EX into a 96 CX that had a D15 vtec, (Sorry if this is a dumb question but I know nothing about Dseries motors)

What do I have to do as far as wiring and ECU to get this to work?

Im guessing that I will run the OBD2 harness, ECU, injectors and dizzy on the OBD1 motor, is this right?

also what about the crank sensor? the other motor dosent have one

I searched but mostly found OBD2 motors going into OBD1 cars, if you have a good link please post it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok so you are putting in a D16Z6 from a 94 EX into a 96 Cx that was wired for VTEC since it allready had an JDM OBD1 (assuming) D15B VTEC engine in it?

The 96 CX didn't come with a 1.5L VTEC. It came with a 1.6L non VTEC. So ...can you make that whole thing more clear?

You need a crank sensor if: You plan on using an OBD2 ECU either for daily driving or to pass emissions. If you have emissions regulations where you live, you need the crank sensor. It's a misfire sensor. It's nessacary for OBD2 operation without a CEL.

If you are using an OBD1 ECU and do not have to pass emissions, you can omit the crank sensor.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: putting OBD1 motor into OBD2 car....need wiring harness help (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ok so you are putting in a D16Z6 from a 94 EX into a 96 Cx that was wired for VTEC since it allready had an JDM OBD1 (assuming) D15B VTEC engine in it?

The 96 CX didn't come with a 1.5L VTEC. It came with a 1.6L non VTEC. So ...can you make that whole thing more clear?

You need a crank sensor if: You plan on using an OBD2 ECU either for daily driving or to pass emissions. If you have emissions regulations where you live, you need the crank sensor. It's a misfire sensor. It's nessacary for OBD2 operation without a CEL.

If you are using an OBD1 ECU and do not have to pass emissions, you can omit the crank sensor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I have no clue really what was done to either car before my friend aquired them but I will try to make it clear:

the 94 EX has a ZC motor(what the block says anyway) that says vtec on the valve cover . I am putting this motor into a 96 CX

The 96 CX came with a D15(what the block says) that also says vtec on the valve cover. when he got this car he said it ran like **** backfired and stuff I guess.

The 94 was totaled and now he wants to put the motor from it into the 96.

Emissions are not an issue, he dosent have to take them.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:31 AM

Default Re: putting OBD1 motor into OBD2 car....need wiring harness help (Scotty Dosent Know)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scotty Dosent Know &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yea I have no clue really what was done to either car before my friend aquired them but I will try to make it clear:

the 94 EX has a ZC motor(what the block says anyway) that says vtec on the valve cover . I am putting this motor into a 96 CX

The 96 CX came with a D15(what the block says) that also says vtec on the valve cover. when he got this car he said it ran like **** backfired and stuff I guess.

The 94 was totaled and now he wants to put the motor from it into the 96.

Emissions are not an issue, he dosent have to take them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The ZC is OBD0, IIRC. The D15 VTEC in the CX should be OBD1.

What does it say on the ECU in the 96 CX? Seems like he has a lot of issues. The D15 in the CX could be made not to backfire. Maybe the cam timing is off, or the distributor timing is off. If you just fix it, you may be able to just keep that motor in there.

Try taking it to shop. Maybe they will be able to diagnose it. It's hard to E-fix a car you've never seen.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i put a d16z6 into my dx i switched oil pump over to obd2 and just rewired the dizzy for obd1. i run an obd1 ecu though.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:54 AM

Default Re: (Jakester9500)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jakester9500 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when i put a d16z6 into my dx i switched oil pump over to obd2 and just rewired the dizzy for obd1. i run an obd1 ecu though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then why did you change the oil pump? You can do a mod to remove the misfire sensor on OBD2 cars using OBD1 motors but OBD2 ECUs.

The OBD1 motor doesn't look for the crank sensor at all. Neither do the JDM obd2 ecus, apparently.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because i was running an obd2 ecu for awhile.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: putting OBD1 motor into OBD2 car....need wiring harness help (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The ZC is OBD0, IIRC. The D15 VTEC in the CX should be OBD1.

What does it say on the ECU in the 96 CX? Seems like he has a lot of issues. The D15 in the CX could be made not to backfire. Maybe the cam timing is off, or the distributor timing is off. If you just fix it, you may be able to just keep that motor in there.

Try taking it to shop. Maybe they will be able to diagnose it. It's hard to E-fix a car you've never seen. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea its definitely not easy lol This is not my project, I just got called half way through it to try to help. Good to know that the ZC is obd0 though......

I literally know nothing about D series cars all of my hondas have been B series. All I know about D series is that I take them out and throw them away lol
Old 01-23-2008, 10:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scotty Dosent Know &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yea its definitely not easy lol This is not my project, I just got called half way through it to try to help. Good to know that the ZC is obd0 though......

I literally know nothing about D series cars all of my hondas have been B series. All I know about D series is that I take them out and throw them away lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

I always say that the best mod for a D series is a B series.