Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Putting car in storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting car in storage

As the title says I'm going to park my car for the winter. I was planning on slightly blocking it up, so the tires are still touching but not a full load on them. I just need to know a few good places to do this. I looked under the car and the best spot I saw in the back was either between the lca's or the part of the frame on either side of the trunk. The only spot I could really see in the front were the tow hooks. Also what else should I need to know about parking a car for the winter. It will probably be sitting outside with a car cover on, maybe in my moms barn but the ground is really soft in there and I don't want it to sink before the ground freezes.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2006, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Putting car in storage (ak47autolock)

what's the question?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:13 AM
Help we my pennies

Default Re: Putting car in storage (G2 Speed)

back of tires
Old 09-21-2006, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why now just leave it on jack stands.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

will you be able to start the car atleast once every two weeks? if so this is what i have done to this date. stored in the back yard on jack stands, all suspension removed, no rims, full tank of gas, weekly 5 minute start ups and in gear idle, battery cable removed after start up. no problems with start up, smoke or anything since 9/2005

if the soil is soft you will have to buy some plywood to put under the jack stands. if you decide to put the car on stands.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do an oil change before you put it away, and get plywood like cxshoe said... put it on stand and take the wheels off so some fool doesnt try to drive it away...
Old 09-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gottalovethe4door)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gottalovethe4door &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do an oil change before you put it away, and get plywood like cxshoe said... put it on stand and take the wheels off so some fool doesnt try to drive it away...</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 09-21-2006, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Putting car in storage (cxSHOE)

You live in California?? A lot of snow in that area eh?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where can i pick up that civic car cover at. Is it OEM?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Putting car in storage (kaiba)

http://www.handaaccessories.com

http://www.handaaccessories.co....html -99-00 civic 2 door or 4 door
Old 09-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaiba &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where can i pick up that civic car cover at. Is it OEM?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup. oem. it may be verry expencive now
Old 09-21-2006, 02:23 PM

Default Re: (gottalovethe4door)

I don't have to worry about some fool driving it away up here in Minnesota. Once it snows a snow bank will be blocking it in. I was wondering where a good place to put the jack stands are, where are the frame points.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ak47autolock)

Your car's manual will tell you that there are little arrows on the bottom plastic trim near all the wheels and in the front center of the car. The arrows point to the appropriate jacking points.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xunsungheroesx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xunsungheroesx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your car's manual will tell you that there are little arrows on the bottom plastic trim near all the wheels and in the front center of the car. The arrows point to the appropriate jacking points.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does this apply to '95 civic coupes as well? I never saw those arrows, though the jack/jackstand places are very very very obvious.

Pull the wheels off and leave it on stands, you said you get a lot of snow, so leave a full tank of gas and every week start it up for 5-10 min. Should be fine like that for the winter. Best places I would use are the jack locations next to each wheel (it's a lip if you look at it parallel to the ground).
Old 09-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaiba &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where can i pick up that civic car cover at. Is it OEM?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea its oem and from a 98 civic coupe. my pitbull i guess didnt like the bright blue color (not sure why dogs have dichromatic color vision color blind with red-green and other colors are faded. damn thats some bright as blue!! )and torn that particular one to pieces, i got it on ebay for like 30 bucks. and i found a '98 accord one recently, so im using that one as of now...

i do have a custom fit california car cover for the hatch, but dont want that torn up just yet. (not blue but grey noah fabric)...so sticking with the blue for now.

the oem covers are junk. if you want a better one stick with noah made fabric they dont let water through or dust as much as the blue oem ones... if you want to know the fabric break down let me know and ill post the pdf that shows which fabrics are best
Old 09-21-2006, 04:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SRCivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You live in California?? A lot of snow in that area eh? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Jesus Corey. I Put my car away for the winter.

Hell I store my car this whole year. Not on purpose though.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does this apply to '95 civic coupes as well? I never saw those arrows, though the jack/jackstand places are very very very obvious. </TD></TR></TABLE>

These are from the 92-95 service manual (clickable thumbs):

Old 09-22-2006, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xunsungheroesx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xunsungheroesx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

These are from the 92-95 service manual (clickable thumbs):

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Aight, that's what I was talking about, on the bottom picture.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 9:05 AM 11/16/2006
Old 09-22-2006, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Putting car in storage (schlit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schlit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Can you post that up? I'd like to know. My intuition tells me that you'd want a breathable fabric so it doesnt trap condensation on inside and cause mold and cloud your paint....aka, it shouldnt be waterproof.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes your correct you want a breathable cover so mold doesnt begin to grow. and you can have both breathability and complete water protection at a cost. ive done my own research when i started looking for the oem 92-95 hatch cover. and what i found is the fabric that is made by kimberly-clarke that the blue oem covers use is called technalon/evolution. i know this because i called and talked with a rep. from kimberly-clarke personally. these are the blue oem covers. the newer grey covers (s2000 etc...) use the noah fabric and have much better water protection and the only car cover company i have found that uses these fabrics is covercraft. same exact fabric as oem just no insignia. i wasnt able to get any information through covercraft if they have contracted with honda to make their car covers. but if your the only company out there with the fabric my assumption is then your the only one making these covers for honda/acura. so if you look at the pdf link you can see that using a noah or weathershield type fabric is a much better option as far as keeping water off the car.

and yes i did my own rain test with the blue oem cover last year when it rained. and yes the car still got water through, and yes dust still come through the blue oem covers aswell. after about a constant normal rain pour down the car was soaked after two hours of rain.

so i personally would not buy a brand new cover for this reason. i have a weathershield cover for my harley, and that works as its states, water does not come through the weather shield cover so if you want your car to completely stay dry during the rain, i would spend the extra hundred bucks on a weathershield... but.. thats if you want it completely dry.

http://www.covercraft.com/Fabric%20Guide%20OUT.pdf
Old 09-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Help we my pennies

why leave ur car on jacks?