Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Putting an AC unit into a 98 Civic HX

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting an AC unit into a 98 Civic HX

Hello, I bought a 1998 Honda Civic HX about 8 months ago without air conditioning. I thought I would be fine, but here in Colorado, we've had one of the hottest and driest summers (plus the fires). So I'm looking into putting AC in my car. I'll be getting the compressor, belt and dryer new and everything else, lines, evap box, etc. used. I just had a few questions... How would I hook up the electrical connectors? Would the wiring harness be somewhere for the AC compressor that I just have to find or would it not be there at all? I have the AC button with a blockoff but If I press the button, the light comes on. Does the evap box have any electrical connectors I have to worry about? I'm trying to keep the cost as minimal as possible and as OEM as possible because I was quoted $1,649 for aftermarket parts and labor. I think I might get a new Denso ac compressor and the mounting for it at a scrap yard. Is there anything I should know when installing the AC system in my car? Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Putting an AC unit into a 98 Civic HX

i pulled my full ac system out of my 99 civic. send me a msg. I'll sell you it all cheap if you give me the non ac parts from your car. IE: the box under the dash beween the blower motor and center, the ac block off button etc.

I have the full ac system 100% working with hanesses and all just need the non ac parts to finish pulling it from under my dash.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it is a HX it would have come with AC from the factory, all HX models did standard. All the wiring ect will all be there.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX
If it is a HX it would have come with AC from the factory, all HX models did standard. All the wiring ect will all be there.
Incorrect it is not standard on the hx... I would say most did come with it but I have seen at least two of them that did not and instead of the a/c button there was a block off inserted in it's place. Both cars appeared to be stock from factory with hx emblems and the aluminum wheels also the vin numbers each started with 1hgej7.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my 96 cx had everything there already . pull out the block off plate and straighten the led then just slide in the button it will lock in the harness for the evaporator is there already and so it the plug for /pressure switch/a/c compressor and condenser fan. also make sure to get the relays and the a/c diode (small black 2 pin plug in under hood fuse panel) i bought all used for $125 then replaced seals and receiver dryer
Old 07-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Marvin1985
i pulled my full ac system out of my 99 civic. send me a msg. I'll sell you it all cheap if you give me the non ac parts from your car. IE: the box under the dash beween the blower motor and center, the ac block off button etc.

I have the full ac system 100% working with hanesses and all just need the non ac parts to finish pulling it from under my dash.

swapping harness from 99-00 to 96-98 is not going to work. that involves changing out dash harness, instrument panel harness, cabin harness, and engine wiring harness from a 99-00 to go into a 96-98 hx
Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by canadaek
my 96 cx had everything there already . pull out the block off plate and straighten the led then just slide in the button it will lock in the harness for the evaporator is there already and so it the plug for /pressure switch/a/c compressor and condenser fan. also make sure to get the relays and the a/c diode (small black 2 pin plug in under hood fuse panel) i bought all used for $125 then replaced seals and receiver dryer
Where was the wiring harness for the compressor? Was it just hanging from somewhere? And how about the condenser fan? Sorry about all these questions, I'm just new to this kinda stuff... A shop quoted me for about $500 labor if I provided all the parts And I'm thinking this could just be a weekend project if I could rent a vacuum pump from Autozone or Napa. Oh! Are all the AC lines made of metal with a rubber coating or are they mostly all rubber? Would you buy the AC lines used? Thanks!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Am I, the only one who immediately thought of this when reading the title? lol

Old 07-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there should be a connector with a white plug in it on the driver side core support. the compressor/condenser fan all run off a sub harness . most of the line's are a combo of rubber and aluminum if you live some where with out a lot of salt corrosion it should be ok. i made sure i got them from a car that had working a/c . you don't want to end up trying to find a leak on your "new" a/c system. it all goes in fairly easy but it' is easier to pull the front bumper to route the lines (unbolting the rad helps also) there is a Honda service document on how to install it as it was a dealer installed option on some models
Old 07-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know if an evaporator box w/ evap unit from an 00 civic si will fit into my HX? I would like to put a cabin air filter in there because of my allergies. I know the Lines wouldn't work because there's a b series engine in there with a completely different design. I found the connector with a white block off plate that was clipped onto a wire under the radiator support. I know that shouldn't be the only one because from what I've seen the compressor has a kind of circular connecter. Would it be clipped onto another wire under the car somewhere just like the other harness?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

There's a couple of DIYs on this site re: A/C retrofit. It's a fairly common mod. Check the FAQ section. The instructions for a 92-95 will be basically the exact same concept for your 98 HX. Consider that many A/C installations happened at the dealership if this was ordered as an option - so they are relatively easy to install and remove with the right tools.

Yes - the 00 Civic Si evap w/ cabin filter will be a direct swap to your HX.

What you need are the installation instructions. THIS LINK should help - print and use as your removal and installation guide.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
There's a couple of DIYs on this site re: A/C retrofit. It's a fairly common mod. Check the FAQ section. The instructions for a 92-95 will be basically the exact same concept for your 98 HX. Consider that many A/C installations happened at the dealership if this was ordered as an option - so they are relatively easy to install and remove with the right tools.

What you need are the installation instructions. THIS LINK should help - print and use as your removal and installation guide.
Awesome!! THANK YOU! I've been looking everywhere for something like that! I'll try to not ask too many questions haha. I really hate bothering people about things I'm not sure about...
Old 01-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you so much! i have been searching for this damn document for two years! ive checked this website numerous times and they removed it? its like a hidden link lol, i just wish they still sold the AC Kit
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 PM

Why don't you go to the local j-yard and pull one out yourself? Last one I did cost me $75. Far cry from the original price when new (++ 700$?) They're not hard to find. And yeah - you need A/C in Texas ... I can't even imagine!!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM

PS, looks like this link works better: http://web.archive.org/web/200704010.../17561_01.html
Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the AC done at the end of August and it blows super cold air now! I decided to buy a new compressor and expansion valve as preventative maintenance. Also three of the hoses I got off ebay were leaking so I went to Majestic Honda and bought them... That manual helped me out so much! Thank you so much!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 01-24-2013, 12:52 PM

Hey, nice work, OP. Thanks for the update!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PS, looks like this link works better: http://web.archive.org/web/200704010.../17561_01.html
thanks again man, i feel like i finally found the golden ticket lol. well im trying to gather all the needed parts from several different people. so far im going to get everything under the hood for 150 and if i was going to do a 99/00 conversion i can get the air box and under dash harness for 200 and an si climate control for 120. im thinking i should just stick with the 96-98 so it will be easier.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys! Brand new to this forum! My name is Trevor, I drive a 98' SiR. I bought this car without A/C and am interested in putting it in myself. My car is a 98LX with a JDM B16a1 swap. This thread has Been very helpful with the 'manual install link' and info provided. I still have a couple of questions. (Bare with me) The wiring harness for the A/C unit, does it differentiate from the 98 LX to the 99/00 Si? What, if any, changes/ parts would I need to make this install work? I have the original compressor and lines in a box at home, everything that came stock on the car. If I have the complete 98' LX system, is there anything else I would need to make it fit to the B16 swap? I appreciate any feed back and apologize in advance if I am being repetitive or asking dumb questions.