Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Putting ABS onto my '98 Hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Putting ABS onto my '98 Hatch?

Anybody ever put ABS into a non-ABS car? What parts are required?
Old 04-19-2002, 07:18 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Putting ABS onto my '98 Hatch? (CheezeFrog)

honestly i dont think its possible w/ out a lotta work.. ive never looked into doing anything of this kind before.. it might be good and might be bad.. any other opinions on the matter?? anyone ever done it before? i know it would be a lotta work to rebuilt the brake system..
Old 04-19-2002, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Putting ABS onto my '98 Hatch? (95CivicEX)

Why ABS is ghey and a waist of time.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Putting ABS onto my '98 Hatch? (b16b hatch)

Why ABS is ghey and a waist of time.
Well, maybe it's a waste of time for those of you with slower cars running 12.00 and up. But I'm building my EK to make top end runs with single-turbo Supras and I NEED to be able to stop from upwards of 150mph under full and complete control. I really don't want to take shortcuts when it comes to safety.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your best bet would be to pull the entire system out of a EX with ABS, it will be front wheel only though I think.

IT will be a big pain in the *** though cuz you will have to get all of the hard lines in the engine compartment (may have to remove your motor to put them in too), and your car might be missing the harnesses for it.

Then make sure to get ALL the wires and sensors from the knuckles and stuff too
Old 04-20-2002, 06:12 AM

I sure that none of the 8 Sec. cars use abs either ABS is a joke just use GSR brakes not ABS. Cheezefrog.
Old 04-20-2002, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Putting ABS onto my '98 Hatch? (b16b hatch)

Tonyx, thanks. It looks like I'm going to have to find out the hard way just how difficult it's going to be.

b18b hatch, you can stop a LOT quicker with ABS than you can without. Even F1 cars use it. Now unless you're a lot better driver than your average F1 driver, I'd say ABS can only help
Old 04-20-2002, 07:24 AM

Way too much misinformation in this forum.

Bull:
1. Why ABS is ghey and a waist of time.
2. it will be front wheel only though I think
3. I sure that none of the 8 Sec. cars use abs either ABS is a joke just use GSR brakes not ABS. Cheezefrog

Ok. First off - it's been done by someone on this board. He showed it off in Richmond - 1992 Civic Hatch - excellent job.

It's A LOT of work. There's multiple parts that have to be swapped into the car. I'll just BEGIN a list below.

Second - ALL Honda anti-lock brake systems have been three channel or more. This includes ALL FOUR wheels. All of 1996 and up ones I have seen have been four channel, but it is my understanding from my reading that there ARE still three channel ABS's floating around on Japanese made USDM Integra's. I have NOT seen these.

Third - ultra fast cars don't use ABS. Well, ultra fast DRAG cars DON'T use ABS. They also don't use taillights or airbags. Who gives a crap, though? The reason they don't use ABS is WEIGHT. ABS makes cars stop quicker - period. A lot of people, myself included, don't use them on our performance cars because under certain circumstances you WANT the brakes to lock (drifting or rallying), and the systems do add significant weight. If you want better daily driver brakes, ABS is a great ticket to do so.

Down to tacks - stuff you'd need to do it:
Suggestion: Buy a totaled and stripped EX chassis with brake system still intact. That had been suggested, but you'll need components from all four wheels. This applies if you don't want rear discs - if you're going to this much trouble though, you might consider using the REAR components from an ABS Integra (98 and above) and get yourself rear dics.

1. Master cylinder and booster - your old one MIGHT drive the system - but Honda put an extra big booster and reservoir in the ABS Civics for a reason, didn't they?
2. Underhood hard lines - ALL
3. Proportioning valve from ABS car
4. Hard lines from underhood components to wheels - they could be spliced or custom bent - but it could be very difficult if you haven't done this
5. ABS sensor from ALL four wheels, with harnesses and wires.
6. ABS axles with gears on front
7. ABS discs/or trailing arm assembly/or ABS drums on rear
8. ABS servo motor from underhood
9. ABS brain (processor) from ABS car
10. Wiring harnesses to hook it up. I don't have personal experience from an 6th generation hatch, but the fifth generation hatches lacked ALL the wiring harnesses for ABS.
11. Dash module from ABS car - i.e. entire dashboard module if you want the ABS light to work properly (i'll admit, I know that this is needed for fifth generation hatches, but MIGHT not be needed for sixth generation hatches).

There may be more, or less, but these are the COMPONENTS you'll need - some of them MIGHT already be present on your car, but I don't think they are.

Shawn
Old 04-20-2002, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Putting ABS onto my '98 Hatch? (shawnhayes)

Holy **** that helps out a lot! Thanks a ton, Shawn!
Old 04-20-2002, 08:18 AM

Holy **** that helps out a lot! Thanks a ton, Shawn!
You're welcome. I have the service manual for that generation, if you need some stuff. My wife has an ABS EX, so I can tell you about the components, but I can't tell you if you already have the stuff you need. Honda has had a past habit of trying to make a "generic" car that they can upgrade to different standards.

Shawn