Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

putting abs into an ek from a dc2

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting abs into an ek from a dc2

is it possible to put abs on an ek if i were to take everything related to brakes out of a dc2 and put it into an ek? cause i hate the fact that the ek doesn't have abs cause i live in seattle and it rains quite a bit here. if i were to do this, i would buy a totaled dc2 off a salvage auction so that i have all the parts. i'd take the engine also while i'm at changing all the parts.

has anyone done this before? is it possible?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: putting abs into an ek from a dc2 (warmmilk)

ive never heard of it being done
Old 11-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: putting abs into an ek from a dc2 (-Gambit-)

i'm more looking for info on how abs will act considering its in a lighter chassis. i will try to do this unless someone has proof that the system will malfunction. anybody in here have expierence with abs systems?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: putting abs into an ek from a dc2 (warmmilk)

you want abs???
Old 11-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: putting abs into an ek from a dc2 (tuck'd98)

Sensors, Modulators, Accumulators, Connectors, Relays, Different Spindles, Different Hub/Bearing Assemblies... Oh yeah... Headaches...

Not to mention an extra $1500-2000 (AT BEST) if you don't already have it.

I am unsure, but it might also require you to upgrade your front knuckles. I don't know much about how ABS works for the front yet, but you'll need to make sure your front knuckles have a place to properly mount your Sensors.

Tell us about your setup (YMMDTO - Year, Make, Model, Doors, Trim, Options), and what modifications you've made so far (particularlly with your brake setup). This will help determine how "easy" or "costly" it is. I am unaware of any USDM EKs that had 4 wheel discs AND ABS... The USDM EM1 had 4 wheel discs, but no ABS. If you decide to add an ABS setup, I recommend emulating a chassis that is most like your project car...

So whatcha got?
JasonGhostz
Old 11-18-2005, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: putting abs into an ek from a dc2 (JasonGhostz)

2000 3dr civic dx

as of right now i don't have any brake mods at all, but as i stated earlier i will be buying a totaled integra gsr from a salvage auction. i'm gonna put everything from that onto my ek that would increase perfromance, including the brake system. if i have the whole car, i don't think i'll need to buy any parts on the side.

tuck'd98- yes i want abs, i live in seattle, i rains here, abs saves lives... and bumpers
Old 11-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The pain will not be worth the gain.

Either sell or trade the 2000 and buy a car with ABS.

Its just not as simple as unbolting it from a car with ABS and bolting it onto yours.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4door_demon)

well thats my question, what else is involved other then unbolting and bolting? i don't really care how hard it is, my question is if its possible or not

however i don't want abs enough to get a different car, i'll stick with my ek
Old 11-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (warmmilk)

Well, I guess almost anything is possible. It's more a matter of the time, effort, and money you're willing to spend to do it... Adding ABS is COSTLY, requires A LOT OF PLANNING, and A LOT OF TRIAL/ERROR (the 3dr is the only USDM EK that didn't have an ABS option (2D EX AT, 4D GX AT)). You are likely to be one of a scant few who do this (or attempt to do so). Many have undoubtedly turned away...

Either way... what about the YMMDTO for the Integra? I'm not sure what trim level the DC2 is, or if it even denotes a trim level (flamers, help me out please)... Keep in mind that the 94-99 RS didn't have ABS. (edit: oops, see it's a GSR, but what year & doors?)

The ABS Modulator Assembly acts upon the brake system's hydraulics. If you go with all-Integra components, this might require you to change/modify your brake lines. You'll have to coordinate your hydraulic setup to get things "working properly", and I don't yet know what this would require.

The thing is this... There are too many unknowns as of now to determine what "works best", and no one else is being kind enough to educate us. From what I've read, the ABS system is activated when there is a difference between "detected" wheel speed and "calculated" vehicle speed. So, any differences in chassis design is irrelevant *FOR THE SENSORS* (as long as they mount properly). However, each ABS Unit and Modulator is programmed for a "Target Slip Rate" for when wheel slip is detected. This Target Slip Rate *MAY or MAY NOT BE APPROPRIATE* for your vehicle, as it may be unique to chassis for which it was built (I don't know... Anybody?).

But it *CAN* be "done". Unfortunately, this is about as far as my brain can go. I don't have ABS, I don't want ABS (on my current vehicle, anyway), and I don't know why I've spent as much time studying the ABS setup when I'll have nothing to do with it in the future... I <3 Honda-Tech!!!

More info, please!!! GL...
JasonGhostz

... And lastly... Do Dis ****:
http://www.helminc.com/helm/pr...X6NUF

... and take some of THAT!
http://www.helminc.com/helm/se...X3WD1

Modified by JasonGhostz at 4:31 PM 11/18/2005
Old 11-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JasonGhostz)

Duh... The 1994 Civic 3DR SI had 4 disc brakes and an ABS option!!!

Wow, I forgot about this one. The 94 3DR SI ABS has a setup you can emulate (which is very similar to the 94-01 GSR). It's a lighter chassis than yours, and I'm not sure exactly how much. But you can always go on a healthy diet of amphetamines to compensate.

There are some good websites for OEM Honda/Acura dealers that list part #s. Many of them have diagrams/images you can save. Try to spend a lot of time doing the research and preliminary pricing at slhondaparts.com and acuraoemparts.com (or, you can register at estore.honda.com for a single reference). There are a ton of parts to get, and not all of them will be coming off of the Integra. These sites, along with the Helm manuals, will lead the way.

Let us know how things go.
JasonGhostz
Old 11-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JasonGhostz)

thanks for the informative response

i don't know what year or how many dr gsr i will be getting, basicly what ever comes up on the salvage auction that i can get cheap enough

and yes, i do plan on researching the hell out of this, thats why i started asking the questions now. i probably won't start doing this for 2-3 months, that should give me enough time for research

some of u have said that u wouldn't want abs. why not? unless u have an all out drag car where wieght would be a factor
Old 11-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by warmmilk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the informative response

i don't know what year or how many dr gsr i will be getting, basicly what ever comes up on the salvage auction that i can get cheap enough

and yes, i do plan on researching the hell out of this, thats why i started asking the questions now. i probably won't start doing this for 2-3 months, that should give me enough time for research

some of u have said that u wouldn't want abs. why not? unless u have an all out drag car where wieght would be a factor</TD></TR></TABLE>

Be sure and do a nice write up while you do the conversion, I'd like to follow your progress as I am sure others do too.

I would rather buy a car with ABS than try to convert one to it, but to each his own, its just not a project I would want to take on.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4door_demon)

i'll do a write up, but like i said, it will be about 2-3 months
Old 11-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by warmmilk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...some of u have said that u wouldn't want abs. why not? unless u have an all out drag car where wieght would be a factor</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I guess a clarification is in order... When I say "I don't want ABS", I mean I don't want to *ADD ABS* to my current vehicle. A brand new ABS Unit in itself (not including things like sensors, modulator, etc.) is $1250!!!! I am not the type of person who trusts "used" parts, particularly if they involve electronics, but that's just me.

As of now, the only motivation *I* have for adding ABS to any vehicle is for the sake of learning. I don't have the money nor the (perceived) time necessary to properly research and implement such a modification. If I win the Mega Lotto, maybe that'll change... then again, maybe I'll just buy a new car...

In all honesty, you will likely be able to find a complete well-working vehicle WITH ABS for the amount of money you spend on (new) ABS parts. However, I very much understand that this might not get you the car *YOU* want. Do not be discouraged, but you might want to add at least 2 months to your estimate, which might take you out of the rainy season.

You have to make a decision at some point regarding what type of vehicle setup you'll be emulating. Furthermore, you have to keep your mind open after making that decision, as few things ever go as planned. Also, I would recommend against doing this modification to your One and Only driver (edit.. What I mean is: have another option while you're working on it as it's not likely to be a one-day, first-time-AOK project.)... You'll be looking at a bit of downtime.

I recommend looking at the 1994 3DR Civic SI w/ABS as your target setup. It had 4 disc brakes, GSR size front/rear rotors (same as 99-00 Civic SI), and had an ABS system in place. In my opinion, it most closely matches your vehicle in both weight and chassis design, and uses many of the same (mechanical) parts you will need for your project. The 2 ABS models that came out in 2000 (USDM) were the 2DR EX AT, and the 4DR GX AT... neither of which had 4 disc brakes.

But for all the electrical stuff, you have to determine what makes these parts unique. You have to find answers to questions like "Why can/'t I use a 199X Integra GS-R ABS Unit & Modulator on a 2000 Civic 3DR DX?", and "What differences in chassis design (weight, etc.) are reflected in the way these parts are designed/programmed?". You will likely have to find these answers from a REAL Honda Technician.

Assuming $$$ is no worry, buy the Helm Manuals for the 1994 Civic 3DR SI (92-95 Civic), 2000 Civic 3DR DX (96-00 Civic), and a 1994 Integra GSR (whatever years this car belongs to). These will help you identify and remove the parts you need from your donor vehicle(s), as well as provide some of the information you need to get them running properly. From there, you'll need to wear your guinnea pig costume and tell us what you find...

And don't forget to upgrade your gauge cluster to include the ABS light...

Good Luck,
JasonGhostz

Modified by JasonGhostz at 7:41 PM 11/22/2005