Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

push button start???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default push button start???

is it possible to wire a push button start to an oem button (i.e, ac, rear defroster)
Old 01-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: push button start??? (eg6civic1538)

I've seen people put the S2000 "Start Engine" button in their Civics, not too sure about wiring it to the A/C button or rear defroster
Old 01-24-2008, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first of all, i'd definitely not recommend a push start button... makes it all the easier to steal it! unless of course, its a thumb print reader button!

secondly, i dont think you could with the ac or rear defroster or anything like that. plus, why not just get the push start out of an s2000? makes more sense...
Old 01-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: push button start??? (meyerman_b16a2)

most generic push-to-start buttons work just like turning the key to the start possition, so they are no less secure than a normaly equiped car (as long as you properly tuck the reworked wiring out of the way)

yeah you can do this. explore your options first, but to get a cool "defrost button" start...

1. relocate your defrost button (or other button of choice) to some hidden spot like behind the hood release or under your seat... whatever seems best.

2. then with a junkyard button and trim if necessary, pull the guts out of the button and do what you need to do to get the push start button to fit inside.

3. mix up some quick set epoxy and stick the defrost button to the face of the push start. wire to the start leads coming from the key cylinder. done.

(these instructions, as well as the posting of the question in the first place, assume you have basic automotive wiring skills. otherwise, don't attempt these procedures...without help)
Old 01-24-2008, 06:36 PM

Default Re: push button start??? (meyerman_b16a2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by meyerman_b16a2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first of all, i'd definitely not recommend a push start button... makes it all the easier to steal it! </TD></TR></TABLE>

how?

but, push button starts are expletiveing gay. they are just and extra step to start the car. it's a 'bling' piece for sure but your the only person who will ever see it so it kinda fails in that aspect as far as grabbing attention from others.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:48 PM

Default Re: push button start??? (Aludew5)

I think that it is almost a good idea if properly. i don't think that the average car theif would know what to do if they can't do the same old same old break off the key cylinder trick. But the wiring would need to be done properly and a kill switch should most likely be added
Old 01-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wouldnt it only have to be a momentary switch? Hazard and defroster buttons are not.

I have wanted to do just this exact same thing for a long time..but havent gotten around to it. I certainly am not going to say which button I would use though - you wouldnt guess either

You guys saying it would be easier to steal, arent thinking that the "start" button isnt obvious. Stealing a car requires speed - if the car wont start and its not obvious why, additional time is needed to either figure out why OR break open the key cylinder and start tracing wires (that should be modified).
Car security is ALL about layering
Old 01-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmhotness &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think that it is almost a good idea if properly. i don't think that the average car theif would know what to do if they can't do the same old same old break off the key cylinder trick. But the wiring would need to be done properly and a kill switch should most likely be added</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well yeah it's aesthetics, what else could it be?

JDM Parking Polls & power folding CTR mirrors are bling **** too, but that doesn't stop people from loading up on 'em.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:08 PM

Default Re: push button start??? (Syndacate)

I was actually thinking about putting a push button start, but it seems like so much work. I know if you go and buy a remote starter for your car and get it installed thats kinda like a push button start
Old 01-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aludew5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how?

but, push button starts are expletiveing gay. they are just and extra step to start the car. it's a 'bling' piece for sure but your the only person who will ever see it so it kinda fails in that aspect as far as grabbing attention from others.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think its a kick *** Idea. May do it myself. Just b/c you don't like it doesn't make it wrong. I'm sure you have lots of **** on your car other ppl think is "gay".
Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 PM

Default Re: push button start??? (ca-rs)

i thought about having a switch that has to be held down when you turn the key for a little extta safety. but with a relay any switch could be used
Old 01-25-2008, 12:04 AM

it actually is possible really simple to do a buddy of mine did it to his teg
Old 01-25-2008, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: push button start??? (missingboost)

If you do choose to use the stock s2000 button, they are rather deep. Ignited makes the same switch with minimal depth for easier mounting.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:00 AM

Default Re: push button start??? (ca-rs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ca-rs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I think its a kick *** Idea. May do it myself. Just b/c you don't like it doesn't make it wrong. I'm sure you have lots of **** on your car other ppl think is "gay".</TD></TR></TABLE>

you probably do think good brakes, good tires, and extra wheel horsepower is gay. but my car just so happen to come with push button start from the factory and i can tell you that it's just a little annoying extra step everytime you want to drive ur car. granted it's cool at first, but that soon wears away.