Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Purge solenoid..?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purge solenoid..?

what would happen if i have no vacuum line to my purge solenoid? I know that the cannister wont function correctly without being pressurized but are there negative effects like car blowing up from fumes ..my car is an obd 2 civic si converted to obd1 i want to get rid of some of this stuff to clean my engine bay up a little if possible. What im talking mainly is solenoid mounted on top of fuel rail on obd2 b16s.. This is a pic of the POS bugs the hell out of me...

Old 06-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Purge solenoid..? (Treblarefils)

U probably won't throw a code like you would as if you were running a OBD2 ecu. But it is possible. So I would say extend the hose and tuck it behind the IM like I did. You can check by just leving it unplugged, and if it don't throw a code leave it off. But if you do then its gotta stay on.

But, I have a huge favor I need from you man. I don't know anyone with an si locally. So can you check one thing for me, ok as your looking at you purge control valve in the picture above, see how there is a 3" red hose well on the other side if it is a little canister looking thing, thats called the "purge joint" Know that only came on some 99-00 civics and it came on the Si's. The reason i ask is becasue I have a JDM 2nd Gen b16a in my 98 civic and i'm getting the p1457 code and I replaced every solenoid and valve in my evap system I even had to take it to honda and they didn't know. But i know that the only thing I'm missing is that "purge joint" which is $90 from Honda. So Can you PLEASE take it off and look into it for me, because I wanna know if its just open, or if there is something in there that opens and closes with vacuum, like a door thingy. This is very important to me, becasue I spent so much money on **** that i didn't need before and i don't wanna spend anymore for guesses. I didn't wanna make a post about this becasue i don't think anyone would know what i was talking about, but now that you have this picture up you can just barely see the purge joint. THANKS, I WOULD TRUELY APPRECIATE IT!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Purge solenoid..? (hondadriver)

are you talking that little round ball looking thing that connects to the red hose?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:05 PM

well i just took the entire thing off started the car no codes its basicly just running open right now looks a lot nicer too i can put it right back if i get a code. but it seems fine.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:11 PM

If you are talking that little canister...Well i thought the same thing when i was taking it all apart im like i wonder wtf this is i took it off and thought it was a one way check valve...well it doesnt do jack squat only thing i can think is its a just in case type thing to hold excess pressure just in case....

To answer you question you can blow right through that little canister it both ways it does nothing a hose in its place wouyld do the same thing IMO. And 90 bux wtf...
Old 06-24-2005, 03:50 PM

taken from this site

http://forum.mpt.org/messages/...63760

It has come to our attention through automotive trade publications1 that some Honda vehicles are susceptible to internal corrosion of the EVAP control canister vent shut valve. This corrosion is caused be salt-laden water in Snow Belt areas finding its way into the internals of the canister vent shut valve. Honda has released an updated EVAP control canister vent shut valve to address this problem. But, as far as we know Honda does not have a recall to address this problem. Sometimes, if you wait until the “Service Engine Soon” light on your dash turns on it could be too late, because sometimes when the old valve shorts out internally, it could zap the PCM (Powertrain Control Module or car computer) in the process. Then you would need to replace the computer to solve the problem, which could be very expensive.