Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

purchased my project hatch today!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purchased my project hatch today!

I just purchased my new project car, its a 1992 CX hatchback :: 2 owners 168,000 miles. I have lots of plans for it, going to be my autocross/roadrace ***** If anyone has any advice on what I should do w/ my suspension since I'm a newbie autocross/roadrace driver it would be greatly appreciated.

my plans so far:

new paint (dont know what color)
B18C1 (NA for now maybe boost later on)
TEIN coilovers (dont know which one exactly, so help me)
SRR LCA
5 lug conversion
roll cage
Recaros/or some other buckets
i cant get carried away need money first

here are the pics:

engine bay

exterior

interior

Let me know what you think, I'm a little nervous, but hopefully everything goes smoothly
Old 08-18-2003, 10:57 AM

Default Re: purchased my project hatch today! (Carlo)

looks really clean, if you don't mind, how much did you have to give for it. Good luck!
Old 08-18-2003, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Paint still looks shiny. Maybe you shouldn't paint it if its going to be a track *****. Otherwise looks like you are on the right track.

Could also do a straight up GSR brake conversion for good functionality with less bling.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:03 AM

Default Re: purchased my project hatch today! (White Lightnin)

good start and good luck on your future plans for it

Old 08-18-2003, 11:07 AM

Default Re: purchased my project hatch today! (A51_H22)

hey....how did you get a passenger side mirror?? i have a red 92 CX just like yours. i thought they didnt come with one?
Old 08-18-2003, 11:08 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: purchased my project hatch today! (White Lightnin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Lightnin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Paint still looks shiny. Maybe you shouldn't paint it if its going to be a track *****. Otherwise looks like you are on the right track.

Could also do a straight up GSR brake conversion for good functionality with less bling.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great points there.

I would research before going heads in on this project.'

Boost for autocross....not the best idea. Especially doing an engine swap, boost, and a ITR brake setup, will put you against some crazy cars and drivers, whch won't make it so fun.

GSR brakes with good pads and rotors will do just as good as the ITR's, especially in a light car.

good deal u found.. have fun with it
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: purchased my project hatch today! (civickidd99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Lightnin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Paint still looks shiny. Maybe you shouldn't paint it if its going to be a track *****. Otherwise looks like you are on the right track.

Could also do a straight up GSR brake conversion for good functionality with less bling.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I still want it to look alright since I'll be driving it in the summer

Whats the price difference on the GSR brake conversion compared to ITR 5 lug?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civickidd99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks really clean, if you don't mind, how much did you have to give for it. Good luck! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I paid just about 3k for it since I have to ship it from Florida to CT

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Boost for autocross....not the best idea. Especially doing an engine swap, boost, and a ITR brake setup, will put you against some crazy cars and drivers, whch won't make it so fun.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the heads up, I'm not really looking into winning right now - I just want to have some fun So no boost for autocross and I should get GSR brake conversion instead. Keep 'em coming, I could use all the advice I can get.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: purchased my project hatch today! (A51_H22)

be sure to check out the different classes in road racing and auto crossing. some of the mods you are choosing will probably put you into a class where you will be blown away. now if you don't mind driving by yourself around a track( i don't) then go ahead with the mods, but if you want to battle it out for a podium finish then you should research what mods are legal for which classes.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:33 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Carlo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks for the heads up, I'm not really looking into winning right now - I just want to have some fun So no boost for autocross and I should get GSR brake conversion instead. Keep 'em coming, I could use all the advice I can get. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ITR brakes are bigger than GSR's, but still plenty big for your 1900 lbs hatch.

With GSR brakes and spacers, you could run some 13 inch Lensos which makes a WORLD of a difference on an autocross course. Wide/lower stance, quicker final drive, etc.

If you wanted the stopping capabilities of the ITR, do a different setup.

Prelude calipers, redrilled Prelude rotors, and your're set. That's the same caliper as ITR and same size rotor for much less and you're still 4x100. Check the "how to put X brakes on Y car" thread for ideas.

Old 08-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should give me your front seats. and get some recaros
Old 08-18-2003, 11:52 AM

Default Re: purchased my project hatch today! (civickidd99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civickidd99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you don't mind, how much did you have to give for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
...yeah, so how much did you pay for her?...looks nice.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He already replied with the answer earlier.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:57 AM

Default Re: purchased my project hatch today! (Atom)

about the TEINS I suggest getting the SUPER STREET DAMPERS. 1. because the car will never be used to the full capacity to where you will need anything more expensive. 2. Its a honda, not a type r or any other type of race car. Other than that enjoi the money you will waste on your car instead of more important things.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey....how did you get a passenger side mirror?? i have a red 92 CX just like yours. i thought they didnt come with one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm cooler thats why. haha j/k I don't know I haven't even seen the car in real life yet. My cousins in Florida looked around there for a nice EG and they bought this one today and sent me pics of it.

If you want the mirror, I'll probably be buying a set of spoon ones soon so if you want it I can IM you when I get the new mirrors
Old 08-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

save up more and get a R swap. It is worth every penny. I regret buying a gs-r motor.

The srr LCA is just a bling item that isn't needed especially if you get JDM Tein's. You need to use the ITR/EG6 LCA.

BTW, get some used Teins from Rcrewracing.com. I got HA's for a real good price.

just my $0.02...

goot luck with your project.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:26 PM

Default Re: purchased my project hatch today! (b(series)cruz)

Dont forget sway bars if you are goin to race the thing. Good luck man! Rick
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Carlo)

Looks mint as ****.

Your cousin got you a nice find.
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

security.
theft prevention.
alarm.
etc.

do it all now. before you forget!
Old 08-18-2003, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

security -&gt; tires/wheel -&gt; suspension -&gt; brakes

THEN increase power.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:31 PM

nice find...hope you have fun building it up
Old 08-18-2003, 12:42 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

do you actually plan on road racing,
or actually rolling over??

if not then **** the roll cage
Old 08-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you actually plan on road racing,
or actually rolling over??

if not then **** the roll cage</TD></TR></TABLE>

I plan on road racing. I don't plan on rolling over but **** happens and I rather be safe than sorry + I'll be using harnesses and I don't want to flip the car and have my head squashed in.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The srr LCA is just a bling item that isn't needed especially if you get JDM Tein's. You need to use the ITR/EG6 LCA.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, I keep learning more and more
Old 08-18-2003, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like it is in pretty damn good condition man! Have fun with that, I know that it will turn out good! Keep us posted man! ;}
Old 08-18-2003, 01:52 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Default Re: purchased my project hatch today! (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Great points there.

I would research before going heads in on this project.'

Boost for autocross....not the best idea. Especially doing an engine swap, boost, and a ITR brake setup, will put you against some crazy cars and drivers, whch won't make it so fun.

GSR brakes with good pads and rotors will do just as good as the ITR's, especially in a light car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tony Lemon's boosted D-series EK is quite fast and I believe he trophied fairly well at the SCCA NT @ Bremerton this year.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The srr LCA is just a bling item that isn't needed especially if you get JDM Tein's. You need to use the ITR/EG6 LCA.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They are lighter and have better bushings than stock. Good for people looking for LCAs with swaybar holes and/or new bushings and don't feel like trying to hunt down GSR LCAs which usually go for around $90 at junkyards unless you are lucky.

Oh, and TEIN has most of their lineup available for the US style LCAs so you shouldn't have to worry about finding ITR LCAs.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">about the TEINS I suggest getting the SUPER STREET DAMPERS. 1. because the car will never be used to the full capacity to where you will need anything more expensive. 2. Its a honda, not a type r or any other type of race car. Other than that enjoi the money you will waste on your car instead of more important things. </TD></TR></TABLE>

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. right. Only ITRs can be raced, eh? Stop posting.

Quick Reply: purchased my project hatch today!