Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Pulstar plugs Fake or Real gains?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulstar plugs Fake or Real gains?

So i went down to my local Kragens today just to pick up my airfresheners and i see all these advertisements about pulstar plugs yadayada you know so i ask n the cashiers like yea they dont call them spark plugs there called pulse plugs and they are supposed to make your car improve in every area with the increased spark and also they come with a 4 year warranty (if the company actually decides to stay around) but anyway they are basically $49 for 2 plugs... i was thinking these people are crazy but the HP TQ and gas mileage gains are worth it IF it works. So does anyone know if it does REALLY work or not cause if it does then ima buy me a set LOL thanks HT
Old 01-14-2009, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pulstar plugs Fake or Real gains?

LOL!!! Dude no. Stick with NGK. Seriously. Wow.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheRappist
Dude did you ever think you could gain 5+ hp with spark plugs? it might be true and i would do it just because of the gas even if it was .001 hp gained cause its the point that its better AND it has a warranty, also looking for someone that has used the pustar plug and i hope its not true cause i dont wanna drop $100 on plugs lol
Old 01-14-2009, 02:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont think it would make much a difference. definitely not worth $100 for plugs. stick with NGK's.

quoted from another site..

"A spark plug is a spark plug. Its a 20,xxx ohm resistor designed to create an arc to ignite fuel.

How is an electrical component going to change the psi in a combustion chamber? How is it going to make the fuel burn better? These are factors controlled by your fuel delivery system, and induction system. The only way a spark plug can change the way a car runs is if it's a cooler or warmer running plug, and the length of the gap, which alters the resistance of the plug. However, these things really only control efficiency with a teensy bit of performance at different driving ranges (i.e. highway cruising, low speeds, etc.) or cause pre-ignition.

The differences between copper, platnum, iridium, etc is simply how long they are good for before you have to replace them."
Old 01-14-2009, 03:30 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The poster above me is 100% correct.

I can see you're only 20 years old. Let me give you one piece of advice - something that I learned years ago with a 1970 Honda CT90 when I was 12 years old and still holds true to this day. Remember this for the rest of your life:

Do not use any brands of spark plug other than NGK or Denso in any Honda engine.

If there were some magic miracle spark plugs that actually did do any of those things, it would be no secret only known to chain parts stores. We'd already be running them. Don't get suckered in by advertising.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Targa250R

I can see you're only 20 years old. Let me give you one piece of advice - something that I learned years ago with a 1970 Honda CT90 when I was 12 years old and still holds true to this day. Remember this for the rest of your life:

Do not use any brands of spark plug other than NGK or Denso in any Honda engine.

If there were some magic miracle spark plugs that actually did do any of those things, it would be no secret only known to chain parts stores. We'd already be running them. Don't get suckered in by advertising.
I realize it but i was just wondering cause it looks like a good concept but im not really wanting to fork out the $100 for the plugs i was just happy about the warranty! I have always ran NGK plugs in my cars that ive built and my DD cars, and so far ive had no problems except buying new plugs lol but anyhow if anyone wants to try em please let me know your experience with the plugs and if they affected your performance or mpg or made it worse who knows!!!! well thanks for the input guys!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheRappist
Originally Posted by Targa250R

^^Whats so special about NGK???? ...If you say don't fall for advertising, then why are NGK plugs so great? Were's the proof NGK or Denso are the best? They have a 350z on dyno before and after they install the pulstar plugs, and its something like a 15hp gain? But their advertising might just be B.S.

OP-I personally use Bosch, but I have used NGK before and I can't tell a difference, maybe someone else can?

If your looking for some gains in your electricals, don't worry about plugs. Instead invest in a grounding kit, were you will get some very obvious improvement in engine performance/efficiency/electrical efficiency. With a grounding kit you can actually race with A/C on with no power loss, thats just an exapample of the benifits of a grounding kit.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is so special about NGK? They are honda OEM. They are ment to be in a Honda engine, as well as many others.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude, just go to kragen and get the OEM NGK's.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there was an article of a guy making cut spark plugs. meaning he would cut the elctrode(i think that's what it's called) so that the arc of the spark would be bigger. im pretty sure patrick knows what im talking about. anyways, when you do this, it basically turns it's self in to a pulse star plug. only difference is that you use the cheaper copper plugs, and the down side is that you'll have to change them sooner. now you also have to remember that copper plugs are also cheaper, so it's not that bad.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by T3KNiQe
^^Whats so special about NGK???? ...If you say don't fall for advertising, then why are NGK plugs so great? Were's the proof NGK or Denso are the best? They have a 350z on dyno before and after they install the pulstar plugs, and its something like a 15hp gain? But their advertising might just be B.S.

OP-I personally use Bosch, but I have used NGK before and I can't tell a difference, maybe someone else can?

If your looking for some gains in your electricals, don't worry about plugs. Instead invest in a grounding kit, were you will get some very obvious improvement in engine performance/efficiency/electrical efficiency. With a grounding kit you can actually race with A/C on with no power loss, thats just an exapample of the benifits of a grounding kit.
Time and time again NGK has been proven to be the best in most applications besides possibly some domestic vehicles.

Put it this way, I tried to use Bosch plugs ONCE in my lifetime, and that one time I tried them, they utterly let me down. The performance was terrible. I replaced them with a set of AC Delco $1.50 spark plugs and they outperformed the Bosch ones 100 fold. The Bosch set would cause the vehicle to stutter upon hard acceleration, whereas the AC Delcos did not. A friend of mine also decided to give the Bosch plugs a try and funny thing is, two of them brand new out of the box were BAD.

Out of the bazillion sets of NGK's I've installed I have yet to see a bad one. Out of all the Jeeps I've pulled at 30,000 miles for maintainence not yet once have I seen one misfire, and they are the stock equipment plugs. Now, you start talking about the Champions in the Town and Country, and you've got some real pieces of **** on your hands.

NGK simply makes a superior spark plug and product when compared with other spark plugs. Not only are they cheap and work amazing, they are the OE plug for almost all imported vehicles along with quite a few domestic vehicles. If they weren't anything great I'm sure manufacturers would not be using them.