Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

pully bolt broke

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pully bolt broke

i was driving home and i notice the my battery light came on. as soon i exited, i hear this rattling noise and i knew it was my pully becuase i had that problem before.. but this problem was worse.. i came home and jacked up my car and notice that the pully bolt broke in half and the other piece is still in the motor. the end of the crank shaft where the pully goes, was completey stripped and the little rectagular piece wan chew'd up. tryin to avoid the repair shops, what the best way to get my car running again.. i was thinkin about welding the pulley on but i dont want to regret that decision.
POSITIVE INPUTS PLEASE.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: pully bolt broke

honestly a repair shop will be the best bet unless your able to remove the broken part the bolt does not bottom out so it should come back out unless it was cross threaded. as far as the key way you will need to post some pic's and lets have a look see.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

0 my god. I been their and done that. Let me share my experiences with you.

I had a full D16z6 and i dropped it in. I worked for 3 days on drilling out the old bolt spending more than 20 bux on 100's of different drill bits that no matter what broke. i finally got the old bolt out and the threads were ****ed. So i cried. then i got over it and welded the pulley on with a weak welder. a week later it flew by me on the highway. so i parked it at the shop for 2 weeks. then welded it again with a strong welder and did the best welding i could possibly do. 2 months later it came back off. I had a professional welder come out and weld another pulley on... 3 days later the bitch came back off. Then my car sat at my shop for 3 months untill one day i had this bright *** image in my head..

HEY! The reason why it keeps coming off is because the pulley is to ****ing heavy. ok, I get a old alternator and take the pulley off of it and weld it good and strong to the crank and bam *****! It worked I had to special order a small *** belt and the alternator didn't charge untill 1500rpm's because the pulley was smaller and didn't spin the alternator fast enough. so every time i came to a light the entire car would relie on the battery. a value craft battery at that! well 6 months later i thought it was a good car and was done with no more welding lol. well i went on a road trip 400 miles away and on my way back 5 miles from the shop that bitch came the hell off right along with my timing gear and bent 12 valves in the head. I said **** this. i bought a new block!

So, If your a good welder you can do it for a temporary fix ONLY! But either change out the crankshaft or buy a new block bro.

Good Luck!!!
Old 06-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i also did the same!!!^^^^^ doesn't last long lol....im buying a new block this weekend
Old 06-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TravisCadello

I had a full D16z6 and i dropped it in. I worked for 3 days on drilling out the old bolt spending more than 20 bux on 100's of different drill bits that no matter what broke. i finally got the old bolt out and the threads were ****ed. So i cried. then i got over it and welded the pulley on with a weak welder. a week later it flew by me on the highway. so i parked it at the shop for 2 weeks. then welded it again with a strong welder and did the best welding i could possibly do. 2 months later it came back off. I had a professional welder come out and weld another pulley on... 3 days later the bitch came back off. Then my car sat at my shop for 3 months untill one day i had this bright *** image in my head..

HEY! The reason why it keeps coming off is because the pulley is to ****ing heavy. ok, I get a old alternator and take the pulley off of it and weld it good and strong to the crank and bam *****! It worked I had to special order a small *** belt and the alternator didn't charge untill 1500rpm's because the pulley was smaller and didn't spin the alternator fast enough. so every time i came to a light the entire car would relie on the battery. a value craft battery at that! well 6 months later i thought it was a good car and was done with no more welding lol. well i went on a road trip 400 miles away and on my way back 5 miles from the shop that bitch came the hell off right along with my timing gear and bent 12 valves in the head. I said **** this. i bought a new block!

So, If your a good welder you can do it for a temporary fix ONLY! But either change out the crankshaft or buy a new block bro.

Good Luck!!!
HAHA.. wow.. thats crazy man.. but i solved the problem anyways! bought a gsr! yeahhhhh sonn! haahha. D16z6 parts for sale!!! PM ME!
Old 06-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

damn not this crap again
same thing happend to my cousin 3 weeks after they fully rebuilt her motor, they fixed but about a weel later it came off again but this time it took 13 valves and a piston with it
gl with the gsr
Old 06-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The reason the pulley bolts fly out in honda motors is because they should be reverse thread.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You people who are welding the pulleys on, do you just weld on top of the two pieces as they normally meet up, or are you grinding a bevel into both to get deeper penetration? Weld simply isn't as strong as the metal you are welding on, so you need to add that bevel to get a strong enough weld.

What engine is it on, maybe you can find a crank cheap in the for sale forum.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TravisCadello

Good Luck!!!
Wow... you do realize that doesn't solve the problem either, right? Even if the smaller pulley stayed on you would have had more problems...

D16Z6 engines aren't internally balanced. The stock pulley has a harmonic balancer in it, which balances the crank. Without the stock pulley, you will eventually develop crankwalk, which will lead to severe engine damage.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Wow... you do realize that doesn't solve the problem either, right? Even if the smaller pulley stayed on you would have had more problems...

D16Z6 engines aren't internally balanced. The stock pulley has a harmonic balancer in it, which balances the crank. Without the stock pulley, you will eventually develop crankwalk, which will lead to severe engine damage.
+1
Old 06-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the bolt can be drilled out, but they are extremely hard and it does take some time. however sometimes they back right out after you get a good bite.

The keyway is a different story, if its too chewed up a machine shop will have to repair it. Considering its a d16, Its not worth the repair cost unless there is internal work done. So your left with the option of buying another engine (which it looks like you have done) or buying another crank.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:52 PM
New User

Ok to get your bolt out of there use a combination of titanium and cobalt drill bits and the Craftsman bolt removers. The bolt itself should be a 14x1.25mm. Honda sells them at the dealership for about $20. I JUST got done fixing this problem today. Go easy on the bolt remover tool and use a strong drill. The cordless ones lack the power to drill the bolt from what I found. It will take time, but keep with it and use the drill to back out the bolt once you get the remover pounded in there. Use a craftsman remover though. i tried about 4 other brands and broke them all. Those are REALLY tough to drill through. Best of luck to you, oh, and torque the crap out of the new bolt!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:01 PM

he did say he bought a gsr by the way so he no longer has the problem. And reverse drill bits are the best way to do this because most of the time when your drilling the bolt out it spins it right out