Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Pulls left when shifting - Noob Chronicles #4

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulls left when shifting - Noob Chronicles #4

Forgive my noob-ness. I feel like an idiot most times I post, but I must admit I learn a lot, the wealth of knowledge on here is incredible and I really appreciate your replies.

I've been waiting a while to post this, as I was unsure what was happening when I was driving it, and also I lacked the ability to describe it.

I got this '93 del sol for free, and it has a rebuilt status. It has had another minor accident since then, front end hit a concrete baracade at a relatively slow speed.

During any normal driving it goes reasonably straight. Handles almost perfectly normal. Most of the time I don't notice anything irregular. But when I really rev it up and shift it seems to pull to the left.

If you make a hard pull in second, for example, and engage the clutch to shift, it pulls to one side when the power to the wheels is released.

Now my question really is, do I assume this is from the previous accidents and it's just a tweaked frame, or could it possibly be something else? Does the behavior give me any other clues as to what it might be?

I don't want to take it to a frame shop (right now anyway), because I just can't afford to have it straightened out professionally. Although I am considering this for later on. There is also a stripped down del sol at my local wrecking yard with (what appears to be) a straight front end "frame", so I was considering doing an entire front end frame swap. (I use the term frame loosely)

What could it be other than the frame?

I should note the previous owner said it pulled left when he shifted before the last accident.

Also, the steering is stiff. I suspect it needs new tie rod(s), and lubrication. The power steering fluid looks fine but I suppose the pump could be shot. (I'll look into how to test that right now)

Thanks for your time, I know this one is a little long winded.

Depending on when you ask me, I think I should sell this thing and start with something with a better frame (del sol's suck frame wise even with a straight frame)... But then, I've put so much time into it and am enjoying it more every day, I might just have to go all the way with it.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pulls left when shifting - Noob Chronicles #4

I should perhaps note I have put about $1000 into this car so far (all used parts). Towing cost, replaced and painted the bumper and support, bashed the radiator support back into (somewhat) shape, wheels and tires, wires, plugs, cap, rotor, valve cover, springs, steering wheel, hood hinge, changed coolant, oil, tranny fluid... And I've still got a list a mile long to do.

It's a likeable car for sure, but maybe I should cut my losses?

The panels line up reasonably straight...

Old 07-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Did you bother to get the alignment checked?
Old 07-05-2014, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Thanks for the reply.

You know, at first I didn't because I knew I was going to change the wheels. Then I changed the wheels and I didn't because I was going to change the springs. Then I changed the springs...

And then I completely forgot. Like I said at the top of the post... I feel like an idiot, but it was still worth posting because I wasn't thinking of it...

I'll get that done and hopefully that'll do it. I'll get back to you.

Meanwhile... ARRGGHHH
Old 07-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
That's what i was going to say. Either that or you have some hell of torque steer.