Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Protection for my car???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protection for my car???

ok so i got a 99 si just bought it like 2-3 weeks ago only thing i got for protection is a wheel lock wehich isnt much but its a start i wanna know everything i can possibly do to my car to protect it
and yes ive been reading around and i read the how to do this and that forum safety thing but i want other ideas ..i havent really done any wiring so before i figure out where to put kill switchs and how to do it whats the next best things i can do until then?
Also do you really trust people at best buy and circuit city to do the install?? or can it be done yourself f??

to many cars being stlen lately
Old 06-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Protection for my car??? (BJA86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BJA86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so i got a 99 si just bought it like 2-3 weeks ago only thing i got for protection is a wheel lock wehich isnt much but its a start i wanna know everything i can possibly do to my car to protect it
and yes ive been reading around and i read the how to do this and that forum safety thing but i want other ideas ..i havent really done any wiring so before i figure out where to put kill switchs and how to do it whats the next best things i can do until then?
Also do you really trust people at best buy and circuit city to do the install?? or can it be done yourself f??</TD></TR></TABLE>

how much are you willing to spend on security?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Protection for my car??? (bmoua)

as of right now im low on funds so somewhere around 200 bucks to get it somewhat safe ..i dont work in the greatest of neigborhoods so i need something until i can dish more out until im satisfied and im not half scared to death when my coworkers *** with me telling me my cars gone ...azzholes
Old 06-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just so you know that wheel lock isnt gonna stop anyone. you can cut it off with a hack saw. i would recommend getting a quick release and a pedel lock. as for getting your alarm done at best buy and what not. i think you gonna have to get it done there or something. because you just said you havent done any wiring before so i highly doubt you could wire up an alarm.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Protection for my car??? (dannis.)

yea i know wheel lock isnt enough thing with bestbuy is i had a friend that had a friend that worked there ..god horrid stories of him mickey mousing peoples cars even breaking things and covering it up ...jesus if i do have to get it installed im gonna be like dude im gonna watch you do it
Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 PM

Kill switches are awsome ideas. If you can do more than one!!! Normal punks split when the cross up the harness and nothin happens. And even more stop when they find the first one and or bypass it only to be stumped again. Also a battery disconect discretely hidden works great to!!!!. I wouldn't trust anyone else to install my stuff, exspecialy something like that. One of the best killswitch installs i have ever seen retarded spark, so the motor would be trying so hard to start, but wouldn't quite fire up. This was on an open header chevelle. So needless to say the thieves wouldn't sit there for a half an hour trying to fire it up. Killing spark but not killing the starter is a great choice too. That way there is a good chance that the stupid theif will just sit there and crank the thing trying to fire it up, but doing nothing but draining the battery and drawing attention.

It doesn't really matter in the end cause if someone wants it bad enough they WILL get it. You can't protect against a roll back. And if you see a rollback taking a car, do you walk up and say "Hey are you stealing this?" of course not. You assume that they are just doing there job towing cars. You could do like me. Park your car right beside you open window, so that your cracked out dog flips out and wakes you up if someone gets withing 30 feet of your car lol.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Protection for my car??? (dannis.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dannis. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just so you know that wheel lock isnt gonna stop anyone. you can cut it off with a hack saw. i would recommend getting a quick release and a pedel lock. as for getting your alarm done at best buy and what not. i think you gonna have to get it done there or something. because you just said you havent done any wiring before so i highly doubt you could wire up an alarm.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can get wheel locks where hack-saws don't do **** to them. They're very specialized.

"Roll-backs" don't occur nearly as often as people might think. Repo's do.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Protection for my car??? (civicslayrx)

Took me a while to write that up, kinda off topic now... this thread moves quick lol.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Protection for my car??? (civicslayrx)

think someone with pretty mch zero exp with wiring can install killswitches?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly...your car won't be safe unless you put the time/effort/money into doing the stuff yourself....if you haven't wired anything before i would have bestbuy or someplace do the alarm install...and then just go back and add a piezo siren, backup battery, tilt and glass breakage sensor

http://causeforalarm.thecarthi....html
Old 06-12-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Protection for my car??? (ke98248)

oh where can u find these wheel locks ...well mine has 4 bars instead of club just 2 so if its cut still the other 2 they gotta deal with so they woukld have to cut the wheel in like 3-4 places if it can even be taken off besides haking it not sure how strong it is with that
Old 06-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Protection for my car??? (ke98248)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can get wheel locks where hack-saws don't do **** to them. They're very specialized.</TD></TR></TABLE>

then you can cut the steering wheel.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Re: (alacard)

ofcourse i want to do it myself but i lack the knowlege and experience but until then i need some kind of protection heh
Old 06-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BJA86)

you can get something like this.
http://simjack.com:8185/Secure...1.JPG
Old 06-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BJA86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ofcourse i want to do it myself but i lack the knowlege and experience but until then i need some kind of protection heh</TD></TR></TABLE>
In that case, this is what I would do. Buy an autolock from autozone for your pedal..This is not foolproof but it is another obstacle a theif would have to go through. Then take what you have left from your budget and spend maybe 15-20 bucks on kill switch parts and wire that up. There are PLENTY of write ups on killswitches and many different people who can help you. Including myself. After that...you can sleep a LITTLE better at night...but I would not feel comfortable until I got a full alarm setup Which you will need to do some more research to get in.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 PM

Default Re: (alacard)

awesome thanks,yea that does sound like a plan ill go get one tommorow morning and ill definatly research more on alarms ...theres just so many ..my car has the old school viper (non Pager)but the thing is that it kinda dosnt work its just good for locking unlocking door i can make the alarm sound but only with pressing the second button down ive tried everything to make it work but not sure xactly what it needs to work but i doo know that it is connected to sound kind of siren

if u guys have any more suggestions keep em coming Thanks
Old 06-13-2007, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of tools do you have? Please don't say a test light and a screw driver. Are you comfortable taking your car apart. I can send you some info on wiring up a kill switch
Old 06-13-2007, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://causeforalarm.thecarthi....html
Old 06-13-2007, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (uneek360)

for you're area and your resources i can't really give you help with your car, especially for 200 dollars.. but with me, i was able to buy a viper pager alarm from a friend for 50 with sensors for hood and trunk, locking lug nuts, steering wheel lock.. my area isnt the best but by no means is it the worse.. people know what i do for a living and see what i carry inside after work, so that right there is a deterant..

id say best bet is a good alarm, kill switch for fuel pump, locking lug nuts, wheel lock, and a garage.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Re: (uneek360)

i got tons of tools thats np and im comfortable taking the car apart only if i know exactly what im doing or have some kind of manual or guide

im not so worried about my neigborhood its just everywhere else like work and going to stores even at my college there is alot of theft but im not in school now so while im not in school i wanna get it secured as much as possible
Old 06-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what are you trying to do? wiring on a honda is cake.. if you're compitent you can wire almost anything on a honda
Old 06-13-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Re: (g23_ej1)

right on then
Old 06-13-2007, 09:21 PM

i got the siren working on my car just rehooked the battery but now i get annoying beep when i turn alarm on and off but i dont mind since i have alarm sounding its the old 2 button viper alarm
Old 06-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one of the cheapest and safest ways to keep your EM1 from theives is keeping it at home. Just think before you take your car anywhere, going to the mall? take your buddy's or gf's car. Most people dont understand that you dont take your car anywhere unless you absolutely have to or you know that you'll have a safe place to park.

Whats crazy is, in the past year i've never seen a ITR parked anywhere other than there garages.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:55 AM

Default Re: (bmoua)

yea screw malls and shady places ..you are right no one understands that i dont wanna park in crappy usafe places. they dont know how much we love our cars

Quick Reply: Protection for my car???