Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

pros cons 92-92 hatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pros cons 92-92 hatch

I am selling my 99 coupe next week and am now going to be in the market for a 92-95 hatch, any reasons why si is better, (besides hp/tq), or should I go for a different badge, vx, dx, or whatever else. I'll be looking to do a swap and want to know which chassis is better for b16 or b18, and what I should look for in them when looking around. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: pros cons 92-92 hatch (civickidd99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civickidd99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am selling my 99 coupe next week and am now going to be in the market for a 92-95 hatch, any reasons why si is better, (besides hp/tq), or should I go for a different badge, vx, dx, or whatever else. I'll be looking to do a swap and want to know which chassis is better for b16 or b18, and what I should look for in them when looking around. Thanks in advance!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Si has more torque and horsepower because of the engine if your swapping then forget about it.

SI has 4 wheel disk (are you planning on upgrading?)
SI has a sunroof dammit Honda we want performance not weight as high as you can put it.

VX has Vtec and EGR wiring already in it. Makes swapping simple.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:45 AM

Default Re: pros cons 92-92 hatch (Spade)

did they make all the models all 4 years or did they decide on new ones halfway through the body era. Just wondering, cause the vx had vtech already and si doesn't, right?
Old 07-29-2003, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the si has vtec and the vx doesnt, but the cx is wired for it so if your gonna swap go with the cx because itlighter and easier then the dx and vx but if you not go with the si i bought one a couple weeks ago and i love it.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: pros cons 92-92 hatch (skuby_do)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skuby_do &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the si has vtec and the vx doesnt, but the cx is wired for it so if your gonna swap go with the cx because itlighter and easier then the dx and vx but if you not go with the si i bought one a couple weeks ago and i love it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't post if you don't know facts.

1992-1995 Civics:

CX - 70hp, 1.5L 8-valve non-VTEC shitbox engine
VX - 92hp 1.5L VTEC-E 16-valve engine
DX - 102hp 1.5L 16-valve non-VTEC engine
Si - 125hp 16-valve 1.6L VTEC engine

Also all 1992 Civics are pre-wired for VTEC regardless of trim. After that from 1993-1995 only the Si and VX are pre-wired for VTEC. CX and DX are not from 1993-1995.

Sorry to be an ***, but misinfo really sucks.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Si will give you creature comforts such as sunroof, adjustable stuff, bleh bleh bleh. wired for vtec.

VX is very light, has decent wheels to begin with (albeit small) and is already wired for vtec. You best option if you can find one.

CX is very light as well, not wired for vtec.

DX is fairly light, not wired for vtec.

As Tom said, all '92 hatches are wired for vtec no matter what trim level. 93+ Si has dual-airbags, not sure what else has dual airbags (if any).
Old 07-29-2003, 10:02 AM
can I haz?

Default Re: pros cons 92-92 hatch (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't post if you don't know facts.

1992-1995 Civics:

CX - 70hp, 1.5L 8-valve non-VTEC shitbox engine
VX - 92hp 1.5L VTEC-E 16-valve engine
DX - 102hp 1.5L 16-valve non-VTEC engine
Si - 125hp 16-valve 1.6L VTEC engine

Also all 1992 Civics are pre-wired for VTEC regardless of trim. After that from 1993-1995 only the Si and VX are pre-wired for VTEC. CX and DX are not from 1993-1995.

Sorry to be an ***, but misinfo really sucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>
ahhhh beat me to it. and dont doubt B18C5-EH2, he knows his hatches
Old 07-29-2003, 10:04 AM
Former Moderator

Here, read this topic to see each model broken down by options, and weight:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=150315

For lazy *******:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay, I see a lot of posts about vehicle weight and the differences between the various CX, VX, DX, and Si models.
I'd like to set this **** straight so nobody else is confused.

First of all thanks to Shawn Hayes here on H-T for hooking me up with the 1992 Civic sales brochure, which had all the specs for every 1992 Honda Civic available, meaning hatchbacks and 4-doors only since the coupe wasn't offered until 1993.

Anyways, here go the base weights as measured by Honda in 1992:

1992 Honda Civic:

CX hatchback: 2094lbs.
VX hatchback: 2094lbs.
DX hatchback: 2178lbs.
Si hatchback: 2326lbs.

So that's the weights of each vehicle STOCK.

Notice the exact same weight for both the CX and VX? This should dispell those "VX is the lightest" arguments. In fact, in theory would you not think the CX would be even lighter since the VX had light-*** alloy 13 inch wheels while the CX had heavy-*** steel wheels? This would leave me to believe a few different things:

Body for body (which matters more because you swap out the wheels anyways, I mean 13'' wheels, come on!) I think this may mean the CX is lighter still. The only thing I can think that would make the VX the sane weight but has much lighter wheels might be that the VTEC-E motor weighs more than the CX 8-valve motor.

Another thing is the gas tanks.

CX and VX has a 10 gallon tank, while the DX and Si have the 11.9 gallon tank. Keep in mind these specs are striaght from Honda, so regardless how much gas you've squeezed in your CX, VX, DX, or Si it dosn't matter. Honda probably only measures TANK volume, not the filler and what's already in the fuel lines, etc.

So you also see that the DX is 84lbs. more than the CX/VX. Why would this be? Here's what I came up with:

Bigger fuel tank - tank is steel, so bigger = heavier
Rear wiper/washer
More tar - seen it myself. DX has more tar than the CX/VX.
Side moldings - plastic, but still weighs more than the non-existent side moldings on the CX/VX
Rear cargo cover std. it weighs something, right?

That just might be the difference. Things like the cargo cover and tar, rear washer/wiper can be deleted to get closer to CX/VX, so it's not a huge deal.

You also see that the Si is one heavy PIG compared to it's other hatchback brothers.

One more hilarious thing here for you guys with Si hatches that say "coupes are heavy, that's why I have a hatch" which I see often, and used to say myself.

How's this strike you:

1992 Civic 4-door with manual tranny:

DX 4-door: 2275lbs.
LX 4-door: 2319lbs.

Why did I bold the LX 4-door weight?

Because it has power windows, doorlocks, cruise control, power steering, etc. and is STILL lighter than the Si hatchback! So what do you think of the coupes now? If the 4-door is lighter, what about the 2-door coupes? The DX coupe is a good deal lighter than the Si hatchback.

Don't get all pissy if you own an Si - I used to have one, but after getting beaten by others in CX, VX, and DX hatches with less whp I sold it to build up a CX hatchback.

So, does anyone else on H-T here have this kind of info on the 1994-1995 hatchbacks? I know they weigh more because they added another airbag in 1994-1995, and some Si hatches came with ABS too. All that **** adds weight.

One last thing to keep in mind here:

These cars were weighed BONE STOCK.

This means:

No A/C - was NOT std. on any hatchback in 1992
No radio - again radios were NOT std. on ANY hatches in 1992
Only Si had 2 mirrors std. Add the weight of a mirror if you got 2 on your CX/VX/DX
ONLY the Si had powersteering - the DX auto did too, but I didn't list that one. I listed the manual, which had no p/s
Stock wheels. VX had lightweight 13'' alloys, CX/DX had 13'' steels, Si had heaviest 14'' steelies with wheel covers

So think about all those things that we can take out of our cars to get the weight down. This gives you a basic idea of what your car should weigh with no A/C, p/s, etc.

Also think about what ADDS weight to your car. Stereo, SWAP, bigger brakes, swaybars, bigger wheels, strut bars, etc. So don't think your 1992 CX weighs 2094lbs. if you have 2 mirrors, A/C, radio, SWAP, etc. You might be over the stock weight.

Has anyone ever seen real data on how much a D-Series motor/tranny weighs compared to a B-series tranny? Not guesses, but where somebody weighed them both?

The reason I ask is because my 1992 Si was rated at the 2326lbs., but the last time I weighed it at the dragstrip it was "only" 2289lbs. This was with a Type R swap, bigger front spindles from a GS-R, strut bars, full interior etc. So this leads me to believe that the B-Series doesn't add much weight, and if it does than it is very easily made up for by various things that we do to our cars and might not even realize it.

The only thing I did to make it lighter was take out the spare. Other things that we do to lighten them up that we may not realize are the following:

Wheels/tires. If you own a set of lightweight wheels then you reduce that stock weight because stock wheels are steel (unless you got a VX:hammer and wheels like SPOON, Rota, Racing , Mugen, etc. that weigh 8.5-14lbs. will drop your vehicle weight considerably because you multiply it by 4.

Exhaust. Stock exhausts are heavy as hell. If you have a regular cat-back stainless stell exhaust with mandrel bends from a company like DC, Tanabe, Greddy, 5Zigen, etc. then your exhaust is much lighter than stock. Some exhausts like the new Tanabe Racing Super and Hyper Medallion are even lighter than before.

That's about it really. Of course we can all do other things like take out A/C, switch to non P/S racks if we have Si/EX/LX/DX auto, but since the cars didn't even come with this junk all we're doing is getting back to base weight, or trying to.

I'm sorry if my post is too long, but I fell that weight is a big factor when trying to go fast. Those with lighter cars will spend LESS money to go as fast or faster than the next guy with a heavier car.

And one more thing:

Think about the big weight difference between the Si and the CX/VX. For you comfort buffs, you could have A/C, add P/S, all the little trinkets like power mirrors, etc. to the CX/VX and STILL weigh less than the Si. The main comfort feature on the Si that adds weight is that damned moonroof. I think Honda added bracing in the chassis on the Si because of the big-*** hole in the roof. The hole decreases rigidity, and adds a little less safety in the event of a roll-over, so why would they not try to brace it more.

That's why the Del Sol is so damn heavy even though it's smaller - very dense because it's braced so extensively.

Oh well, anybody with info on the weights of anything that can be added/removed to our 1992-1995 hatches please post it on this thread.

Later y0!

The CX/VX has the catalytic converter in the exhaust manifold, while the DX/Si has a totally separate catalytic converter and exhaust manifold. Design is totally different. Whether the CX/VX design is lighter, I don't know for sure.

Brakes? We know the Si is the only one with rear discs

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anything else?
Old 07-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an Si.
I wish i would have got a cx/vx with AC
Old 07-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pros cons 92-92 hatch (B18C5-EH2)

pros wieght

cons everyone has one

Old 07-29-2003, 10:23 AM
New User

Default Re: pros cons 92-92 hatch (redline201)

Cons: White Hatch: Interior that makes me want to commit suicide.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:48 AM

Default Re: pros cons 92-92 hatch

It's a moonroof people.Not a sunroof...... MOONroof.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:51 AM

Default Re: pros cons 92-92 hatch (976)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 976 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cons: White Hatch: Interior that makes me want to commit suicide.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very True,Blue interior does suck.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definantely go with a cx or vx if you can find one and you are swapping. They are the lightest.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:20 AM
can I haz?

personally i love my SI hatch and dont think that the weight is much of a problem unless you are building an all out race car.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thid92)

good info coz i just joined the EG family.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:23 PM

Default Re: (spoon_ek9)

SI's also got 2 mirrors. I hated having 1 dinky DX mirror. Dash and trunk rattled a lot too. They also crush like dixie cups. On a brighter note, it's the most simplest platform to work on.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:26 PM

Default Re: pros cons 92-92 hatch (V8s2shame)

I had a VX with blue interior it wasn't as hot as my red one now with black interior blue is ugly but it was a lot cooler on hot days than the black
Old 07-29-2003, 12:46 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (RiceNmotioN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RiceNmotioN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SI's also got 2 mirrors. I hated having 1 dinky DX mirror. Dash and trunk rattled a lot too. They also crush like dixie cups. On a brighter note, it's the most simplest platform to work on. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I had already covered that in that long-*** post as seen here:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Only Si had 2 mirrors std. Add the weight of a mirror if you got 2 on your CX/VX/DX
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 07-29-2003, 12:51 PM

i was under the impression all hatches made in canada are wired for vtec from the firewall back.
this was info from a buddy who worked at honda.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:58 PM

Default Re: (drunknbass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drunknbass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was under the impression all hatches made in canada are wired for vtec from the firewall back.
this was info from a buddy who worked at honda. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i would also like to know this
Old 07-29-2003, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lilredridinghood)

interesting, I never knew that? Fact or fiction?
Old 07-29-2003, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (b20_EK)

fiction.
---&gt; the true story is that all 1992 hatches are wired for vtec.

Also, just a guess on all hatches are made in canada... but not all 93+ have wiring for vtec.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:58 PM

Default Re: (owen_the_soyboy)

See...this is why I post things like this on here, you guys are the ****! Here goes, I found a vx (not sure on year) it has like 130k and he wants like 1,800, but he'll take 1,600. Is this my best bet, or should I go searching? Also, the body is pretty nice and the interior is in good shape, but like it was said the blue interior is just ugly. I dealt with it in my 91 integra, so I guess I'll deal. Thanks!!!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 07:23 PM

Default Re: (civickidd99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civickidd99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">See...this is why I post things like this on here, you guys are the ****! Here goes, I found a vx (not sure on year) it has like 130k and he wants like 1,800, but he'll take 1,600. Is this my best bet, or should I go searching? Also, the body is pretty nice and the interior is in good shape, but like it was said the blue interior is just ugly. I dealt with it in my 91 integra, so I guess I'll deal. Thanks!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sounds like a great deal to me since around here, hatches are going for $2300+...I know because I'm friggin' looking for one as we speak, lol. I say go for it .

Quick Reply: pros cons 92-92 hatch