Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Proportioning valve adjustable? pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 04:54 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proportioning valve adjustable? pics inside.

i have a 2000 civic with disc brakes. it came with drums. now are our prop valve adjustable to make it work like the 40/40 prop valves? i came across few pics that will help make things sence.

this is how the prop valve works. basically reduces the rear pressure compared to the front. like a ratio.

as the front brake pressure increases the weight transfers to the front leaving less traction in the rear. thats why the pressure is reduced.

lets look at the "ideal" line as the line pressure for drums (not totally accurate but jus for visualization) and the red line for disc.
as the line pressure increases at a certain point the rear brake line pressure increases slower than disc because drums are self energizing. so matmatical form would be something like p=pressure discP+1x= drumP something like that. i think everyone knows that much or more so i'll move on.

i found this pic on the helms manual on my computer.

i saw the words "proportioning control valve" a few days later i decided to start this tread so i went down to take a pic of the actual valve.

so of course its gonna be there. its the bottem bolt. so my question is, which way should i turn it.

does the 40/40 valve also have this adjuster nut? im hoping that the drum prop is the same as the disc but with different settings. im probably wrong but i'll fiddly with the nut.

if anyone can give me some info or input to you.
(its 5:53am and i still havent gone to bed. )
Old 06-02-2004, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Proportioning valve adjustable? pics inside. (Mr. Choi)

i didnt even know if they were adjustable...it would be cool if it is, cause my fronts lock up way too early
Old 06-02-2004, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Proportioning valve adjustable? pics inside. (duh blacksheep)

That's just a bolt that holds the part onto the car. You can not adjust that.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:22 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

If you want and adjustable proportioning valve, buy one.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (DaX)

not adjustable... get a Wilwood or better yet get a OEM 40/40 like I did
Old 06-02-2004, 11:47 AM
New User

Default Re: (bbarbulo)

not adjustable? thats not what this pic is telling me.

as soon as i find my sharpie or white out i'll play with it.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha... you're dumber than you first appeared

go head, play with yourself

I'll repeat myself, the proportioning valve is NOT adjustable. You're misinterperting the label in the picture.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr. Choi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Choi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not adjustable? thats not what this pic is telling me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The picture is wrong.

N O N A D J U S T A B L E
Old 06-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm very interesting...........keep us informed I'd like to know if this is possible...
Old 06-02-2004, 11:52 AM

Default Re: (Mr. Choi)

The phrase "Proprotioning Control Valve" in the picture is just the part's name or label. Its not referring to the bolt as an adjustment valve. Honda prop valves are not adjustable.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's a shame you put so much into this thread - most production vehicles do not have an adjustable proportioning valve. (notice that it does NOT say adjustable on the diagram, don't know how you came to that conclusion). think of the liability - people like yourself getting under the hood turning screws 'just to see what happens.' then you go out, lock up the rears on the first turn, and slide into oblivion.

Old 06-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Proportioning valve adjustable? pics inside. (ruthless013)

So where in "proportion control valve" is the word "adjustable" in it??

The "proportion control valve" = distribution block and the proportion is permenately set.

I took out the stock proportion valve out of my civic and put in the one from a civic si. Its just a moutning hole that you are pointing to.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:11 PM
New User

ahh ok i got it now. i guess i thought it was adjustable because i was looking at this thing at 5:53am without having any sleep.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ruthless013 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
it's a shame you put so much into this thread....people like yourself getting under the hood turning screws 'just to see what happens.' then you go out, lock up the rears on the first turn, and slide into oblivion.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea its a real shame i wasted 5 mintues of my life on this tread. we all have questions to ask. i guess all you have are stupid remarks. and who brakes that hard while turning?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bbarbulo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha... you're dumber than you first appeared

go head, play with yourself

I'll repeat myself, the proportioning valve is NOT adjustable. You're misinterperting the label in the picture.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Modified by Mr. Choi at 8:27 PM 6/2/2004
Old 06-02-2004, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

by any chances is your car is a dx? cause if it is ,its the same part from a 99-00 si,but only dx's thoe,if not go out get a si valve or get a willwood valve,if you wanna play with the settings,have a nice day
Old 06-02-2004, 08:24 PM
New User

Default Re: Proportioning valve adjustable? pics inside. (jdm civic 2000)

i have a LX, its basically a DX but with power windows and stuff. yea im trying to keep cost down if i can. dont feel like spending $80 for a new valve or spend my life searching for a used one.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well then you are $80.00 richer ,because you dont need a porportioning valve hip hip hoooooraaaayyyyy
Old 06-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ruthless013 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
it's a shame you put so much into this thread - most production vehicles do not have an adjustable proportioning valve. (notice that it does NOT say adjustable on the diagram, don't know how you came to that conclusion). think of the liability - people like yourself getting under the hood turning screws 'just to see what happens.' then you go out, lock up the rears on the first turn, and slide into oblivion.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

don't take my quotes out of context by cutting them up, choi. i was being sincere when i said it was a shame, because this thread had the potential to be a good faq. the real shame was that you put in the effort on something this stupid, and i was nice enough not to just come out and say it, like others did.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Choi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i guess all you have are stupid remarks. and who brakes that hard while turning?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 06-03-2004, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yo, sometimes I feel bad... for all I know I could be crapping on... like my neighbor or somebody's parent who's just trying to get informed. not everyone has the resources or the knowledge or even the interest to know as much as some others. we should collectively try to be more helpful... without all the crapping on each other.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:32 AM

I put full GSR brakes on my hatch. I left the prop valve booster and master and it is fine. If for some reason you want to change the prop valve you mine as well change the booster and master as well. If you do not have abs you will need a non abs prop valve for all discs.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlazeInEk)

the valve he fine on,he dont need to replace the booster hes fine with, also the master cylinder does thoe need to be changed to a 99-00 si master on your lx

i run willwod fronts brakes and 94 ls discs in the rear,with stock dx valve stock dx booster and 00 si master cylinder,and my setup stop very nice on my 00 dx
Old 06-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The picture isn't wrong, just the arrow is a bit misleading.

The arrow is pointing to the valve as a whole, not the bolt specifically.

It's kind of hard to see....but both the top and the bottom bolt holes are hollow; they just hold the valve to the firewall.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:46 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bbarbulo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yo, sometimes I feel bad... for all I know I could be crapping on... like my neighbor or somebody's parent who's just trying to get informed. not everyone has the resources or the knowledge or even the interest to know as much as some others. we should collectively try to be more helpful... without all the crapping on each other. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree.

jonathan i got your PM

why do i need a new mc and booster? its not like it'll help me in braking. only thing it'll do is shorten the pedal travel and also make me step on it harder. anyways i guess i dont need a new proportioning valve.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:49 PM
New User

don't take my quotes out of context by cutting them up, choi. i was being sincere when i said it was a shame, because this thread had the potential to be a good faq. the real shame was that you put in the effort on something this stupid, and i was nice enough not to just come out and say it, like others did.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i guess?