Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Proplem shifting into 2nd from 1st

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proplem shifting into 2nd from 1st

Like the topic says when im driving hard, i cant shift into second. I push the clutch to the floor and try to shift running about ohhhh 6-7k rpm and doing about 50mph in first- Now i try to shift into second and it grinds the gears. I dont recall it doing this b4 but all of a sudden it is, so when it grinds i have to wait for the engine to rev down and then it will engage when it hit around 2-3k. Also durring normal driving its also hard to engage sometimes like i need more then normal effort to engage the gears. The tranny was just rebuilt and checked out less then 500 miles ago and is all good. So im thinking it could be some worn shifter bushing for my short shifter, or possibly low tranny fluid? i had a leak b4 and i thought i fixed it so im gonna check that but i want to get some more idea's to check out while im doing it..... Thanks in advance ppl!
Old 06-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Electrician

1. Tranny was rebuilt. Maybe or maybe not a good job on the rebuild.

2. What transmission do you have that you can do 50mph in 1st? I have the longest DX transmission in the world and I can't do 50mph in 1st.

3. Short shifter woes. Some say it ***** synchros up, some say it doesn't. Since you are shifitng at 6-7k, you are probably stressing the **** out of your synchros with that short shifter shifting fast.

4. Check tranny fluid. Change to GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh.

5. Come back and tell us what can you have EXACTLY and if the problem persists.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Proplem shifting into 2nd from 1st (nocternaldragon)

- Tranny might be good after 500 miles but maybe its falling apart?

- Mentioned a tranny fluid leak, it is possible that the leak isn't stopped yet.

Temporary solution to keep things "as they are" for further analysis would be to not drive the car hard. If its either one of the 2 and you continue driving hard then the tranmission will go to hell in a hand basket.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Proplem shifting into 2nd from 1st (ZX6RR)

I finally got around to checking the tranny and it was at least a qt low so i filled it up and ill check it again tomarow....... i think its a improperly installed axel seal
Old 06-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2. What transmission do you have that you can do 50mph in 1st? I have the longest DX transmission in the world and I can't do 50mph in 1st. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. I think you're talking out your ***, Stunna. 37mph redline in first with said DX tranny, but you don't even take it that high because the powerband starts dropping off at about 32-33mph. If you tell the truth you might get some help.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JRI94)

also don't try to shift fast with a short shifter, or you'll need another tranny rebuild soon.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Electrician

Default Re: (JRI94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah. I think you're talking out your ***, Stunna. 37mph redline in first with said DX tranny, but you don't even take it that high because the powerband starts dropping off at about 32-33mph. If you tell the truth you might get some help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What the **** are you talking about you shmuck? I'm not the one posting this question with a problem. It's called sarcasm you fool. I don't have the longest tranny in the world, but one of them. So does everyone else running a DX tranny. Have you evem driven a DX tranny? 4th and 5th gear are pretty useless on the highway, 3rd gear to 95mph. Plus. I haven't seen ANY Honda tranny that can do 50mph in 1st. So, before you go bashing about something you don't know, shut the **** up!

You are a ******* tool.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ummm...I think he was quoting you then backing up your statement. The "Stunna" comment was directed to nocternaldragon.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What the **** are you talking about you shmuck? I'm not the one posting this question with a problem. It's called sarcasm you fool. I don't have the longest tranny in the world, but one of them. So does everyone else running a DX tranny. Have you evem driven a DX tranny? 4th and 5th gear are pretty useless on the highway, 3rd gear to 95mph. Plus. I haven't seen ANY Honda tranny that can do 50mph in 1st. So, before you go bashing about something you don't know, shut the **** up!

You are a ******* tool. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BeerMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ummm...I think he was quoting you then backing up your statement. The "Stunna" comment was directed to nocternaldragon.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BeerMan is correct. Calm down Dimi...you damn n00b Of course I've driven one of the DX tranny's. I do everyday! I was refering to the stunna saying he was going 50+ in first.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:48 PM
Electrician

Oops, thought you were directing it at me bro. My bad man. No hard feelings. It's just that there's soo many n00bs signing onto H-T that it kinda makes me blood boil when someone attacks my statements, especially if they are true. My apologies again bro.