Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Properly tuned car will pass smog?

Old 10-16-2005, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Properly tuned car will pass smog?

Just a question i had in mind since 99.9 percent of those in this forum have a modded engine whether it be I/E/H or other aftermarket performance parts.

I was told that if a car is properly tuned after modding, passing smog wont be an issue. Is this true? If so, can anyone who's reading this, provide some details on the engine you modded also tuned. Im just trying to be street legal as possible.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Properly tuned car will pass smog? (klomast3r)

as long as they are all carb labled you should have no problem passing, i have never seen someone tune for i/h/e ive heard of one person on this board doing it but u will not come across it often at all....
Old 10-16-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Properly tuned car will pass smog? (Slow_CvC99)

so a NA car most likely have to put stock parts back on to pass.
Cause there's only so many CARB parts. Major sacifice especially when it comes to smog 'test' only center.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow_CvC99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as long as they are all carb labled you should have no problem passing, i have never seen someone tune for i/h/e ive heard of one person on this board doing it but u will not come across it often at all....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-17-2005, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you OBD2?

OBD2 could care less about CARB parts. If you're OBD2, then the station is going to hook up a scantool to your OBD2 port and check to see if the readiness monitors have been run and are set. If they are not set, even if the CEL isn't on, you still won't pass. This is similar to someone thinking that if their CEL was on, simply resetting the battery would clear it and thus get them to pass - not the case.

There is no aftermarket ECU that can communicate with OBD2 scantools.

If you were using an OBD2 ECU with some form of piggy back to tune, then so long as the interaction between the piggy back & tune, OBD2 ECU and your driving style allowed the monitors to be run and set - then you pass.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Properly tuned car will pass smog? (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you OBD2?

OBD2 could care less about CARB parts. If you're OBD2, then the station is going to hook up a scantool to your OBD2 port and check to see if the readiness monitors have been run and are set. If they are not set, even if the CEL isn't on, you still won't pass. This is similar to someone thinking that if their CEL was on, simply resetting the battery would clear it and thus get them to pass - not the case.

There is no aftermarket ECU that can communicate with OBD2 scantools.

If you were using an OBD2 ECU with some form of piggy back to tune, then so long as the interaction between the piggy back & tune, OBD2 ECU and your driving style allowed the monitors to be run and set - then you pass.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hes obd2 and live in cali so carb is vital reading ownz
Old 10-17-2005, 08:41 AM

I live in cali, have OBD2, have AEM intake, DC sports header, and magnaflow exhaust, passed with no problems.................no extra tuning though
Old 10-17-2005, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heres a better way of doing it. Tell us your set up and well tell you if you could pass or not.

But if you are OBD2 good luck if you did any serious modding. You have to run your stock ecu and have to get carb I/E/H. Also a piggy back system (VAFC, etc) will not let you pass. You will fail when they see you on the spot.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow_CvC99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hes obd2 and live in cali so carb is vital reading ownz</TD></TR></TABLE>

How do you know he's OBD2? Did he mention it somewhere in one of his posts? I can't seem to find it, so I guess reading is certainly owning me. Can you point it out for me, please? Make sure you find it because I wouldn't want reading to own you like it has me.

If he is OBD2 and has to get the OBD2 scantool hooked up to his ECU in order to check things, all the CARB parts in the world ain't gonna help him when his CEL is on.

So while it'd be nice to have CARB parts to show the officer when he pulls you over citing that you're 'emissions legal', the emissions insepection guy will laugh at you when you tell him "But they're CARB parts....".
Old 10-17-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Properly tuned car will pass smog? (EE_Chris)

Where is the list of CARB legal parts.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Properly tuned car will pass smog? (poptik)

Sorry guys, I should of mentioned my car.
Yes it is OBD2 (00 si)

Here's my current setup Luserkid:

Mugen 4-1 header w/ 2.5 collector to 2.5 highflow cat (magnaflow CARB, supposebly) ES oval muffler BLK, and CTR cams. All else is stock.

I understand i wont pass with the header, so will putting my stock header back on and possibly the cat, with existing setup pass??? asking due to CTR cams that is left.

I might consider selling the mugen header for a CARB DC 4-1 to stay emisson legal as possible.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klomast3r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just a question i had in mind since 99.9 percent of those in this forum have a modded engine whether it be I/E/H or other aftermarket performance parts.

I was told that if a car is properly tuned after modding, passing smog wont be an issue. Is this true? If so, can anyone who's reading this, provide some details on the engine you modded also tuned. Im just trying to be street legal as possible.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well in my particular case, I have a 92 civic which means it's OBD I. I have an Injen intake, DC 4-1 header, Greddy Evo exhaust. The basic bolt ons. Since my intake and header had the carb numbers on them I passed the visuals. As far as "tuning" on my end, I just did the normal tune up anyone would do to pass smog on an older car:

- Changed cat conv. (Kragen $90, bolt-on too, no welding had to change cat as the last time I smogged, it BARELY passed the readings)
- Got another O2 sensor from junkyard (I got to choose the one I wanted, I chose the one that looked in better condition. I had to change my O2 sensor as I had erratic idling and it threw a code, once swapped, it fixed my idle problem.)
- Changed spark plugs, wires, and cap
- Oil change/flush
- Used carb cleaner in the manifold
- Cleaned air filter (Used the K&N charge kit)
- Bought that garaunteed to pass smog test injector cleaner at pepboys. (I forgot what brand, but it's the one everyone posts about on these boards)
- Re-tuned my timing ( I actually retarded it like 1-2 degrees)
- Made sure tire pressure was where it should be.

And I passed smog no problem.

Assuming you're smog person will be **** and go exactly by the book, yes you will have to put your oem header and YES the Cat back on. Don't worry about your exhaust, it's after the cat and it doesn't matter.

As far as your CTR cams... hmmm they should be the same ones as the last model ITR (since the 00-01 US ITRs finally had the same intake cam as the CTR, the previous US spec 97 ITR had a less agressive intake cam), so I believe you can keep your cams in place.

Modified by Sasebonian at 10:17 PM 10/17/2005
Old 10-17-2005, 09:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

sorry I double posted.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Properly tuned car will pass smog? (Sasebonian)

thats one positive feedback, come on bring more.