Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

proper o ring installation- tstat to water pump pipe??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default proper o ring installation- tstat to water pump pipe??

im leaking coolant from where the black tube fits into the back of the water pump. the o ring only has 2k miles on it, but i did not replace it. however, i did put some liquid gasket on the o ring to aid in sealing. well it didnt work and its leaking, im close to taking it all off re installing the whole pipe, is there any advice on this? should i apply some lucas oil or something to the o ring?

oh yea, should the pipe be pulled out toward the tstat as far as possible, because the pipe is tapered and this is necessary for sealing?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: proper o ring installation- tstat to water pump pipe?? (blackeg)

I think the ligued gasket might be your proplem, I allways just use some white lithium grease when I do that and push the tube past the o ring but anything more dosent help or anything, If you take it off look on the inside of the tube for a crack or nick in it and make sure that isent where the tub is sitting on the o ring cause that will cause it to leak as well.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: proper o ring installation- tstat to water pump pipe?? (nocturnaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the ligued gasket might be your proplem, I allways just use some white lithium grease when I do that and push the tube past the o ring but anything more dosent help or anything, If you take it off look on the inside of the tube for a crack or nick in it and make sure that isent where the tub is sitting on the o ring cause that will cause it to leak as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i believe it was the liquid gasket. i took the metal hose out and cleaned off the liquid gasket, replaced the o ring and put a thin thin coat of lucas oil on the rubber. problem solved. totally sucks htough because i just put the motor together and had to take the intake manifold back off. grr