Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Project si: my $300 find -- fluctuating idle and gear grind problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Project si: my $300 find -- fluctuating idle and gear grind problems

so i just bought a 93 civic hatchback si for 300 bucks from the moron kid down the street. He thought it was gonna be his pride and joy but he did more harm than fix. So i moved in to save it. It has the 1.6 d16z6 and ive already purchased the long cold air intake, the full exhaust with headers, test pipe, and back with an n1 muffler, torko hp full suspension, mugen short shift,energy motor mount stiffiners, nrg 4 point harnesses, with cheap ebay bucket seats, but im having troubles with the rpms they fluctuate on start up, i asked around and everyone just goes back to the clean up the throttle body idea and the icv dint seem to work. Also the kid tired to do transmission work but he lost a **** ton of bolts and the dust cover for the fly wheel, I belive the clutch is bad too cause it grinds going into first. If anyone has any advice i am new to the honda stuff. I orginally owned a 82 vw scirocco, but im happy with this project so far, so if you have any info hit me up.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: project si: my $300 find

Idle - Have you cleaned and adjusted the FITV on the throttle body?

Gear grind - Check the level of the transmission fluid and also replace it. If the clutch pedal feels soft or spongy, check for leaks and bleed the system.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea the throttle body was cleaned out from inside out including fitv, and the tranny i replaced the stock 10-30 with synthedic and bleeded the slave do u think its the clutch?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:01 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of fluctuation? Is it a persistent hunting idle, or is a constant up and down idle? Does it do it all the time, or just when it's warming up?

On Civic idle problems, with an unknown history of the car, I usually tell people to check the coolant first. Make sure that there's no oil mixed with it that could indicate a head gasket problem, which could partially manifest as an idle problem.

If the coolant looks good, make sure it's topped off, then bleed the system by starting the car cold with the radiator cap off and the heater all the way up. Let it run for 30 minutes, or 2 full on/off cycles of the radiator fan. Air in the coolant can easily cause idle problems.

If neither of those take care of it, then start looking at other issues.

Now if you have a persistent up/down idle, look for a vacuum leak first.

As for the grinding problem - have you checked your clutch fluid level? For some reason, I don't think 1st gear is synchronized on Civics, but I could be wrong... otherwise I'd suspect a synchro. I will say that in my experience, all Honda transmissions prefer genuine Honda fluid. I KNOW the manual says 10W30 is okay, but Honda fluid is almost always best.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you have pics of the si.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
What kind of fluctuation? Is it a persistent hunting idle, or is a constant up and down idle? Does it do it all the time, or just when it's warming up?

On Civic idle problems, with an unknown history of the car, I usually tell people to check the coolant first. Make sure that there's no oil mixed with it that could indicate a head gasket problem, which could partially manifest as an idle problem.

If the coolant looks good, make sure it's topped off, then bleed the system by starting the car cold with the radiator cap off and the heater all the way up. Let it run for 30 minutes, or 2 full on/off cycles of the radiator fan. Air in the coolant can easily cause idle problems.

If neither of those take care of it, then start looking at other issues.

Now if you have a persistent up/down idle, look for a vacuum leak first.

As for the grinding problem - have you checked your clutch fluid level? For some reason, I don't think 1st gear is synchronized on Civics, but I could be wrong... otherwise I'd suspect a synchro. I will say that in my experience, all Honda transmissions prefer genuine Honda fluid. I KNOW the manual says 10W30 is okay, but Honda fluid is almost always best.
X2.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Idle - Have you cleaned and adjusted the FITV on the throttle body?

Gear grind - Check the level of the transmission fluid and also replace it. If the clutch pedal feels soft or spongy, check for leaks and bleed the system.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project si: my $300 find -- fluctuating idle and gear grind problems

at warm up it goes up and down then after abt 20-30 mins if only at idle it will stop but when u drive it at lets say a stop sign it will start back up and do it i will try the coolent thing and as for the tranny the fluid is fine, the oil ill find this honda oil and try but something like a clutch is a minor problem for me i have the tools and time, the kid that owned it dint really know how to drive a 5 spd and even though the clutch is like a spec 3 idiots can still wear them down pretty quickly. i do not have pics yet but ill take some and post them or links