Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Project plans

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project plans

Ok this will be a sort of long post, with a bunch of general questions, just to warn you.

I am looking to start a project civic hatch (years 92-96 or so). Money wont be much of an issue, but obviously I dont want to waste money. I want it to be a good all around package. The engine i've been looking at is the JDM b16A from the 92-93 integra. If you go to http://www.hmotorsonline.com, its the 3rd engine listed, item 30003. How easy is this to swap, and is it a good choice. I want to build it up to about 200 whp, then eventually beef up the internals and run 225 horsepower with a 50 or 75 shot of nitrous. So heres my basic plan for upgrades on the engine.

Intake manifold, cold air, throttle bodies, 2.5 in headers and exhaust, cams, cam gears, valves, valvesprings, some kind of ECU tuning device like hondata, rods, pistons, and nitrous.

Are my previously mentioned goals reasonable with this setup? Im looking at mainly skunk2 products. Any comments or suggestions, am I going in the right direction?

Ok now with the rest of the all around package.

Drivetrain- With the updgraded power i want to make sure the drivetrain can handle it. The car wont be driven hard on the street, but i will go to the dragstrip once a month or so and maybe autocross it occasionally. I dont really know which brands to go with on this stuff, so i need some help here. I'm thinking about:

Upgraded clutch, lightened flywheel, beefier axles or any other part that could break (need info here, i dont know where to find these things or what will typically break when driven hard with extra power. I dont want to skimp out in this department as it will be a daily driver).

Handling department- I want to get coilovers and lower it and stiffen it up a bit. What do you guys reccomend. Also, should i get adjustable camber plates or other things like that. What tires and wheels are good also? I love the Volk TE37s, in the 17 inch size.

Brakes- After driving my dads EVO 8 I LOVE BREMBOS. They are expensive though, what alternative brake kits are there? I'd also get stainless steel brake lines.

Looks- I want to get it repainted, all black, black wheels, black tinted windows. Also i want a nice body kit. What would you recommend? Nothing too flashy or aggressive looking, just enough to make the front and rear end not look so econo-carish, and side skirts to match. Also a carbon fiber hood with vents.

Miscellaneous interior things- I want weight kept to a minimum. I will strip out the interior, but cover it up with carpet or something so it doesnt look dirty. The rear seats will go, and the fronts will be replaced with some lightweight racing seats. I want a nice sound system but not too loud. Head unit, high quality speakers, an amp and a couple 10 inch subs is fine for me. I also want to get a short shift kit, a cool ****, and some nice looking guages.

Ok thats my general (and pretty extensive) plan for my project. How much would this cost? Assuming I got a car for 1500 or 2k, maybe 15 thousand total if I do all the work myself except the dyno tuning? Please correct me if there are obvious problems with my plan. Also I need some suggestions in the areas i mentioned, such as drivetrain strengthening, coilover kits, and brake kits. And finally what kind of numbers would i put out with this. I'm hoping for 225 whp plus nitrous, weighing about 2000 pounds or less. Estimated 0-60 and 1/4 times? This isn't extremely important to me, i will still be happy with the car even if it isnt the fastest out there. I know 200+ horsepower in a lightweight car with well set up suspension will be plenty sporty and fun enough for me. Thanks for reading all this and any advice you can give.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:23 PM
California,The only state

Default Re: Project plans (PTskater944)

what kind of project car is this? sounds like every other street car in SD.

edit: how old are you?
Old 11-01-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Project plans (Millenion LTD.)

Luckily i dont live in san diego. I live in kansas, and this car would be fairly unique around here. Also, i dont have to worry about smog testing and **** poor gasoline. I'm fairly new to hondas but not cars in general, and i've been reading this board as much as i can to learn.

And I'm 22.

Now that thats out of the way, can anyone give me some advice.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just want to remind you to consider a couple of things...

What kind of road quality will this car be seeing? I don't know what roads are like in KS, but if you encounter a lot of dips, potholes, debris, pebbles, insects, etc., keep this in mind. Things like ride height, alignment, and paint protection are greatly determined by the roads you ride.

Tires Tires Tires. If you want to run 17s, keep the above in mind, as well as clearance issues for when you lower it. Around my neighborhood, you'll need at least an 86 load rating unless you like spending $1000 every year for new wheels/tires. If money really isn't a problem, then get 2 sets. I won't run anything bigger than 16s for my neighborhood streets, and save my 17s for other use. Your choice will depend on how often you want to replace them, how much you want to spend, and what kinds of surfaces it will encounter. TireRack.com has a decent review and testing section, but not the hugest selection of high-performance tire brands. Search before you spend and google that ****!

Security. It's not a given, and don't put it off. Unless your project plans include a post on "Another Stolen Civic... (with pics!)", you must not neglect this. For as much as you are looking to spend on your stuff, you shouldn't mind spending at least $500 for a NICE security setup.

Other than that, I'd say it sounds like a bit much for a DD... But that's just me.
GL, and have fun with **YOUR** car (whenever you get it).
JasonGhostz
Old 11-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would go with an engine with a hydraulic transmission(sirII) rather than a cable transmission that is on the xsi motor. I like the feel of the hydraulic better, they generally have less miles on them and your 92-95 civic is already set up for one. But thats just my 2 cents. Good luck with your build
Old 11-01-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Project plans (slcivic)

Thanks for the replies. Roads aren't bad here. I will keep that in mind though. I will probably go with 16's instead of 17s on the wheels too, keep it closer to stock and keep the unsprung weight down.

And i will be buyin a good security system too, i just didn't mention it in the post to keep length down, and because I can compare and select those on my own.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:34 PM
California,The only state

if youre going to be racing , tires come and go, so be prepared to buy tons of tires