Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Project: EK9 facelift dash into an EG civic

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project: EK9 facelift dash into an EG civic

Hi everyone, i dont post much here but just thought you lot might be intrested in what ive been up to - i.e fitting an ek9 dash into my eg civic

Ahh the humble EG black dash, with VTi dials, all bulbs changed to orange, jdm heater controls, coin pocket, it is nice but I want some thing different, so I pondered an ITR dash, but I fancied something different, something more in keeping with the feel of Tamama, so an EK9 dash sprang to mind. I mean EK9 engine and gbox, EK9 alloys, EK9 floor mats, might as well get the dials and dash eh? One ickle problem, after a good few weeks searching the interweb I couldnt find anyone on the big Honda forums, or even on Google searches who had fitted an ek dash into an eg civic, or even tried not even tried and failed!

So 18months later after a lot of searching for a facelift ek9 dash (well if ya good do it, get the best one ) and a nice trip up to see Johnny at tegiwa imports in stone to pick up my new dash!

I got home and right away split the dash into bits. Previous experience of removing an ek dash in a local scrap yard had taught me that the ek dash bolts in sections to a main metal frame work. So the 1st place to start would be to remove the main sections of plastic and see if they would fit.

Another small problem, ek dash looms wont plug into eg fuse boxes. Now this time last year some may (99% wont) remember I was after ek wire diagrams and was kindly supplied with some, so I made a start the idea of using an EG dash loom (so it would plug in) and swapping over the ek dash plugs onto it. Took me the best part of 2 wks at work (yeah my old job I was being made redundant and no one cared anyway lol) to figure it all out using a mix of uk and usa wire diagrams but I managed to splice EK dial/cluster plugs onto a spare eg dash loom I had. Only I didnt have an ek dash, or even dials/cluster to use to test them so the whole project got put on hold while other things in my life took priority.

So now I had an EK dash and cluster I could try my loom!

It didnt really work. Half the lights on the dash worked, some didnt work at all, and some where just wrong full stop! So back to the drawing board 

After much thought I had a new idea, so I set to it right away, working 9hrs at my current job, then putting a good 2-3 hrs each night last week into redoing my research, refiguring and retesting allot a lot of wires, today that accumulated in a new conversion plan and a new conversion harness :D

My work place for the afternoon

And 3 hrs of soldering later, tadar a new conversion harness is born!

So I had to try it out before I lost daylight.

Things again didnt go well, only the radio, turn signals (and thus hazard), the high beam light, and the dash lights worked, everything else failed to work.

I figured I had made a wire mistake, or something, so back inside to check the wire diagrams but to no avail + Mrs_Gee wanted to go to the cinema so I called it a day.

Only being a sad geek while watching the film (which was quite good) I couldnt stop wondering what had scuppered my harness, and then bingo iirc from the wire diagrams all the things that had failed ran from one fuse, and the few things that did work came from different fuses it couldnt be so simple could it? So getting back from the cinema I went out and had a looky.Turns out was just a fuse, silly me had plugged the wire harness in with the keys in the ignition and power on this must have popped the fuse to the dials/cluster some how. So one 10A fuse change later and bingo success!

Before all that worked:

After:

So right now, the wiring seams to be sorted (till I find a facelift heater matrix), next up comes the really scary bit. Now as I touched upon before, the eg and ek dashes are very different, the eg dash is a one piece dash with a bit of metal frame work but its one big lump. The ek dash is a big metal frame that everything else bolts to including the steering column!

So Im pretty confident the dash will fit dimensionally, however the steering column on the EG bolts to a metal plate which is part of the chassis, as it may have dawned on you, this metal plate gets in the way, as is gonna have to be cut off if Im to fit the metal frame for the ek dash. The risk being once its cut off theres no going back I HAVE to make the ek dash fit. Plus since I dont have a facelift ek9 heater matrix ive picked up a preface lift matrix uber cheap late last year, ill use that with a std eg heater controls bodged somewhere so I have a heater that works till I find a facelift one for a reasonable price.

This next stage wont be happening for a week or so, as ive got tams MOT next week so Im gonna run the std dash as I know it works 100%, pass the mot then start cutting. With some luck it might be all ready for japfest. And if not anyone wanna buy an entry ticket and track time :lol:

Ta for looking

Chris_Gee

p.s sry if this is posted in the wrong section, but i wasnt sure where to put it
Old 04-12-2008, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Project: EK9 facelift dash into an EG civic (Chris_Gee)

good stuff!! wish i had RHD here :[

are you going to do the door panels and carpet to match CTR?
Old 04-13-2008, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Project: EK9 facelift dash into an EG civic (slacks)

I dont run with door cards normally, but i have some spare ones that im gonan try to fit once the dash is all bolted in - as i knew ppl would ask :D

Chris
Old 05-11-2008, 01:59 PM

And so my friends we continue our tail

So at last England bathed in sun and heat and stuff! Decided to get cracking on with bolting the dash into place, sure the electrics work, and sure the plastics all rested into place but theres a lot more to get done.

Thus after stripping back out the EG dash (as I had to refit it for its MOT test which it passed with flying colours ) my initial plan was to cut the plate which the steering column and eg dash bolts onto off as the EK dash has a big frame work which it all bolts to instead (stupid eks )

Now cutting bits off the chassis, never good especially when you have no idea if the end result is actually going to fit or not, however I couldnt think of a better way to do it, so I got prepared:

As I crouched in the car, both the doors shut (too keep noise in the car), the sun beating down, running over the plan in my head tbh scared sh1tless that it wasnt going to work and I would have written off my car just to fit a dashboard :lol: So I sat and thought and sat and in the back of my mind a voice in an obi won type way kept repeating itself from a conversation I had with a mate of mine just the day before (who will remain nameless to save his growing ego ) why not cut the ek framecan I cut the ek frame?........ And then I thought why not! Cut up the ek frame work where the steering column mounts and use the original EG one so obvious! so simple! hell it had got to be worth a shot, and at least if it didnt work I could still us my car, and all eks have the same dash frame!

So I got out the car and things moved pretty fast!

Basically it fitted :D Though I still had to cut one bit of the chassis this bit:

But I can still fit my eg dash without any problems  so it just left some brackets needing to be made up each side, so I set to making them :D

Old 05-11-2008, 01:59 PM

Again things moved fast so sorry for the lack of pics was hot wanted to get it done

Nice new £10 OEM CTR red stitch gear gaiter 

Had to make the driver side air vent feed a bit smaller to fit over the EG steering column plate, smaller but the air can still pass down it 

Also test fitted some EG door cards, as I knew I was gonna get asked ‘ahh but can you fit door cards’ – even tho I don’t use door cards cus im…. Dead good or something…

So there, eg door cards fit and tho not 100% its pretty good if ya ask me.

Anywho I just kept at it, fitting bits, and more fitting bits and then suddenly….Tadar….

So yeah… its all in, need a few more std ek brackets, mainly the one at the bottom in the middle of the dash and the 2 that the gear and handbrake trim mount to, but they are pretty firm as they are for now 

Oh I kinda got these as well

A pair of Bride Low Max Gias Sport FRP Reclining Seats and today I altered my old custom bride seat rails to suit :D

Currently got the dash out again as im playing around with a few little things, but ill get some good piccys when its all back in and the seats are in :D

Ta for reading!

Chris_Gee
Edit oh and im currently running no heater matrix what so ever, couldnt use the eg one, my dad lost my prefacelift ek one and i cant find a facelift one for reasonable price so ill run without till i find one
Old 05-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chris_Gee)

Nice write-up man!

Things are looking good, keep up the work!!
Old 05-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, looks great.

interesting that this hasn't been done before.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good man u got my vote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, nice work! I've never seen an EK dash in an EG. I like it!
Old 05-12-2008, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks really good Chris, i really like how it fits together - need to get an Ek9 dash into my EJ6 :lol: but i'll not need all this work...i hope

keep up the good work
Old 05-13-2008, 12:33 PM

Default Re: (haggis)

Thanks all :D

And now. All done :D

Last 2 brackets made for the passenger side

And made a slight cut to the dash so the cluster fitted better.

And tadar.

Thank you and goodnight to 18months of thinking, homework, part finding, money spending, late nights, stress and worry I have problems what can I say

Chris_Gee
Old 12-16-2021, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project: EK9 facelift dash into an EG civic

Can I get a reup on the pictures I wanna try to do this but cant find much info on it
Old 12-18-2021, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: Project: EK9 facelift dash into an EG civic

Originally Posted by Guttahlocc
Can I get a reup on the pictures I wanna try to do this but cant find much info on it
Chances are you are SOL... the OP hasn't logged in to this site in over twelve years.