Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Project Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Daily Driver

As you can read from my intro thread, I came by this '92 DX hatch pretty much out of necessity. Now this isn't my first Honda, it;s my third. I had a '90 hatch and an '89 CRX. I wrecked my Toyota and needed a car. My brothers needed to get rid of this car because it was hogging valuable garage real estate. I'm in Southern California, the car was in Colorado. My dad lives in Utah. More on that in a sec. Anywho, brother bought the car a few years ago to race it in a rally series they have in Colorado. He bought it, drove it home and proceeded to take it apart so he could seam weld everything. Now when I say "took it apart" I mean......
yeah this thing is in a zillion pieces. Good thing I got a great deal on it and he really wanted to get rid of it. Well there was a family event planned in my neck of the woods, so I was able to talk good ol dad into driving to Colorado to pick the Honda up. I ordered a car tow bar and tow lights and had them sent to him in Utah. I was able to talk big bro into getting the car rolling so it would be able to get towed. He busted his *** for a few weeks and hooked me up...... That's the car sitting in Utah about to be towed down here after being picked up from Colorado. Fast forward to the car in my driveway..... brother informed me the car wasn't completely stock.... coil overs....rear disc conversion......B18b.....AEM cam gears.....totes of every other piece of the car..... For now I just plan on getting the car back together. I need to stop driving the in-laws car that they have been kind enough to let me drive. Although I am digging the A/C. I'd still like my own car. I'll post more pics of the progress when I get a chance to work on it. Gotta find the time between the two jobs and 4 kids. And the wife may want some attention too lol.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Daily Driver

Wow, that car is in a ton of pieces. Good luck with the rebuild, hope all goes well. I'm liking the rims, and is it sitting on groundcontrol/kyb agx?
Old 08-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like ebay sleeves on agx

I like those konig divas too, despite being rattle canned.

Goodluck bringing her back to life
Old 08-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Inspiring! Hope all goes well with the build. I hope to break down and rebuild my car as soon as my girl gets a daily! Good luck!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been there, done that lol. Bought a totaled car. Only lca and axle were broken along with bumper and fender damage. Still not the best idea. Fixed it. Alignment shop said frame was bent so I had to start over and went and bought a shell. I've taken apart just about everything on there. Only thing I haven't gotten to yet is the heatercore. Which will be getting replaced when winter rolls around. And I have yet to crack open the tranny since I haven't had any reason to yet.

Looks like a good project though. It should turn out great. It's too bad you didn't take it apart yourself though. Once you get the steering, wiring, and dash in it should be fairly smooth sail from there. Finding all the right bolts and clips will be fun also.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Grey_Ej - no idea what brand they are. Everything that is on the car was on it when my brother bought it.

JuggerNaut-CTR - I didn't know what they were, just that they are a little too small for my taste being 14s. I'm a Mercedes/Smart/Sprinter tech. Some of the newer Smart cars have 195 wide tires on 15s and I can get them fairly cheap. My goal with this car is to be able to operate it for as little cost as possible. Kinda like an ongoing challenge with myself. Like today I scored some windshield urethane and primer for $15 which wod cost $90 normally. So I'd need to get some 15s to be able to run those tires. If I keep my eyes open I can get some good quality used ones from work for free. 14" tires are nonexistent at work so I'd have to buy some. 17s would be ideal, I can get those all day at work for free but they would be at least 225 wide and I'd rather not do any fender rolling.

FairlyImprudent - From what I can tell the frame is straight. Everything for the car is in those totes. Some things I'll need to buy new like the radiator. It's kinda in bad shape. My cost is $50 on a new one. Rotors are like $12 each for me too. The harnesses are in the totes too. I also downloaded the factory service manuals for the car and for the motor. My brother was pretty good at putting random pieces in baggies and labeling them. Miscellaneous nuts and bolts not so much lol. Should be like putting a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle together without the lid lol.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just took apart the rest of my junked civic. I'll be sending it to the scrapyard to recycle the steel soon. I have everything from the cabin and some extra stuff. So in case you're missing anything I'll probably have it. And it should be fresh in my memory how stuff comes apart and goes together haha. We'll see how long that lasts. Shouldn't be that difficult if it's somewhat organized and you also have the manuals
Old 08-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interior parts are virtually non existent. It was stripped like a sumbitch. I was thinking coating the floor and at least up to the bottom of the side windows with rubberized under coating or truck bed liner. I just need to get my fat *** out there and start working on it.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interior parts are virtually non existent. It was stripped like a sumbitch. I was thinking coating the floor and at least up to the bottom of the side windows with rubberized under coating or truck bed liner. I just need to get my fat *** out there and start working on it.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gathering all the interior parts and slapping them on honestly wouldn't be that hard if you find a parts car. But if your *** is too fat to do the work, well then it's all on you. I just don't like gutted cars for dding so I'm just letting you know. Not a bad idea though and sure would make it easier. And I guess you can call my *** fat too. I've been needing to paint my car for almost a year
Old 08-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol I'm not necessarily fat, but I could stand to lose 20 lbs. I just need to stop doing other things like going to the gym when I have a free hour. I just need to hunker down and get this damn thing drivable.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey I didn't mean it personally lol. I just meant it as laziness. I need to gain like 20 more lbs. I gained 35lbs over the 6months so I'm doing good so far. You can imagine how skinny I was then, but then again I'm 6'6" so it takes more weight to look noticeable. So, I also, need to go to the gym lol. I'll stop typing before I miss the target of this thread anymore
Old 08-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha I didn't take it personally. I actually lost 20 lbs and gained it back, and not in a good way lol. Im only 5'7" on a good day so 20lbs is quite noticeable on me. On an automotive note, I am going to invest in a flood light tomorrow so I am not constrained by the sunlight. The problem is I lack a garage so this is all going to be done in the driveway.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool project
Old 08-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've worked with a flood light before during nights. Couldn't stand it. I kept misplacing tools and parts and kept having to move the light around to see what I was working on. If you only have time to work on it at night I would suggest to go out and buy fluorescent shop lights and hang them up over the drive way where the car is. Those give out much better light than flood lights. You can even use an ez up to hang them up on which will be nice when the weather changes. It's still not gonna be that great though since the light won't have much to reflect off of unlike a room with walls
Old 08-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Flood lights are great in a garage have never worked on a car in the night out in the open tho. I can imagine it's not too easy and you'll need ALOT of light to be able to work properly/safely. I have 4 halogen flood lights on stands and 2 classic 60W bulbs in a little holder lol works great. You may have said it already but what are your build plans after you get the car back together ? looks fun tho piecing it back togther
Old 08-27-2013, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just did front and rear brakes on a Sequoia with the flood lights. It was kind if a bitch like you guys said but it was better than nothing. I have a fluorescent light that I can use also and a Stinger flashlight I use at work. It's more of an issue of this is what I have to do to get this car together. Like I said, I work two jobs and do side jobs also. Daylight is extremely limited for me. Plans for now are to get it running and drivable and registered in California. Plans are to legally register it. I'll need to talk to a smog ref to see what I need. I'm unsure of what will be required because the car isn't originally a California car. After that we will see what future plans will be. I've had several Hondas but none with a swap. There is plenty I'd like to do but not all of them I can afford. I'd like to turbo it in the future for sure. I've had turbo cars before and they be fun
Old 08-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice project...
Old 08-27-2013, 11:31 AM
tyb
Honda-Tech Member

nice build

make sure to clean the whole shell and get it painted all at once so u don't have to deal with it later... it'll b much easier

good luck
Old 08-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the car salvaged? Not sure if it was junked or non op'd. But I'm assuming most likely it is.

Just tell the DMV you don't have a title for it and bought the car all in one piece. And they can run the VIN and nothing should show up if it was out of state or not registered in CA for 7 years. And tell them you bought it here for dirt cheap like 200 so you pay less for registration. Nothing will show up for the VIN other than they year make and model. So they start a new record.

Get a bill of sale to show the DMV from the owner to you. Have the VIN number printed on there with both signatures. And a date from say 7 years ago. I would say use a DMV ownership transfer form but then they'll see it's from out of state. And then you'll have to get a chp inspection. Which can take months just to get.

They'll give you a temporary permit after you pay for registration and then you have to smog it. Then after you pass smog they'll just make sure the VIN plate matches what you say on the form and make sure you have a stock motor. They don't even know what to look for other than a turbo and aftermarket stuff. You could probably just leave the B swap in there (if it's noticed, just take it to another DMV or come back later and talk to a different person). Then you get your license plates and go on your way with a clean title.

You'll save salvage fees and $200 for not needing a brake and lamp check. Also insurance fees as well. And you wouldn't need to wait months for a chp to inspect it. No need to talk to a smog technician

The smogging part may be tricky with the B swap. I passed with a d15b7 and it was supposed to be a d16z6 since my civic was an ex. So I don't even know if they look at the stamp. They've seen plenty of civics so they might be on top of things. Who knows. Just ask for a visual inspection before paying for smog and see what they say. The first time I failed because the technician said my timing was at 19 degrees and it's supposed to be between 14-16. Before I even smogged it I set it to 15... So I changed it down to 14 and passed... It was bullshit.

The registering part might be the worst part out of getting this car driving on the roads. But that should fix everything. Don't ask why I know all of this lol.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:32 PM
tyb
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FairlyImprudent
Is the car salvaged? Not sure if it was junked or non op'd. But I'm assuming most likely it is.

Just tell the DMV you don't have a title for it and bought the car all in one piece. And they can run the VIN and nothing should show up if it was out of state or not registered in CA for 7 years. And tell them you bought it here for dirt cheap like 200 so you pay less for registration. Nothing will show up for the VIN other than they year make and model. So they start a new record.

Get a bill of sale to show the DMV from the owner to you. Have the VIN number printed on there with both signatures. And a date from say 7 years ago. I would say use a DMV ownership transfer form but then they'll see it's from out of state. And then you'll have to get a chp inspection. Which can take months just to get.

They'll give you a temporary permit after you pay for registration and then you have to smog it. Then after you pass smog they'll just make sure the VIN plate matches what you say on the form and make sure you have a stock motor. They don't even know what to look for other than a turbo and aftermarket stuff. You could probably just leave the B swap in there (if it's noticed, just take it to another DMV or come back later and talk to a different person). Then you get your license plates and go on your way with a clean title.

You'll save salvage fees and $200 for not needing a brake and lamp check. Also insurance fees as well. And you wouldn't need to wait months for a chp to inspect it. No need to talk to a smog technician

The smogging part may be tricky with the B swap. I passed with a d15b7 and it was supposed to be a d16z6 since my civic was an ex. So I don't even know if they look at the stamp. They've seen plenty of civics so they might be on top of things. Who knows. Just ask for a visual inspection before paying for smog and see what they say. The first time I failed because the technician said my timing was at 19 degrees and it's supposed to be between 14-16. Before I even smogged it I set it to 15... So I changed it down to 14 and passed... It was bullshit.

The registering part might be the worst part out of getting this car driving on the roads. But that should fix everything. Don't ask why I know all of this lol.
unless the b swap is built and not completely stock then he will
a stock b16 will pass BAR certification
yesh the timing is f***** up lol
Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not so sure about the BAR cert. You may need a title for that. Just makes things a little more complicated. But if it works out then great. And yeah, CA makes people miserable with their smog regulations. They need to make it an LA county law and leave it at that. And timing doesn't make a damn difference to begin with
Old 08-28-2013, 06:18 AM
tyb
Honda-Tech Member

well timing has to do with the ignition system and if its igniting too fast there's more emissions being put out of the car so thats why they do that

yeah i think u might need a title that would suck

ALL california has this stuff

theres a reason
theres 38 million ppl in cali with roughly 19 million cars
no other state in the whole country has that many cars or ppl
just go to la and go on a bad weather foggy day and you'll see why we have these regulations
Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The timing does but it isn't noticeable. At least in my case. I just looked at my two charts and the only difference was lower c02 and HC was 10 higher at 15mph than compared to the second test. 25mph were both the same. That is if it was even advanced too far like the smog tech said.

All said and done, it would be much easier to register it out of state in some family members name. It would give you the chance to go on a road trip and have a visit
Old 08-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info. It is registered in an out of state family members name. As a last resort I can always "smog" it for an extra fee. But I was trying to get it legal to avoid that. I had to do that with my last car that was stock. From what I've been told it still has the charcoal canister and emissions equipment. I don't think it has egr. The car is a '92 and the motor is a '94 so I'm ok there. I'll need to get an intake with a CARB sticker on it. An AEM short ram is $100 through one of my jobs. I don't mind going through the extra work to get it legal to avoid hassle by the cops if I get pulled over which it being a Honda in California there's a good chance of that. I want the car registered in my name and in my state. I do have the title to it also. I've had issues when being pulled over with an out of state license and an in state car. Evidently driving with an out of state drivers license plate in California is the same as driving without a license. As for the egr issue, if the car is out of state and never had it I doubt California would make me install it....of course this is California so you never ******* know.

Quick Reply: Project Daily Driver