Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Project from 93 Civic EX to 92 VX -- got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Project from 93 Civic EX to 92 VX -- got some questions

hey,

I will be getting me a hatch project for racing purposes of both Auto-X and Drag.

I'll be transfering a lot of the interior parts from the EX over to the VX to have power everything (dash, steering column, doors and front seat), as well as the H22 swap (of course) and everything else I can transfer from my EX over to the VX.

The main reason for transfering the interior parts over is because I will have electric everything, and on this hatch's steering column, the steering lock is broken and my EX lock is just fine.

With transferring the whole steering column, which would mean I would have to use the EX keys, (transferring the doors as well) -- Is there a way I can use the VX key locks on the doors and ignition, or shall I use the EX keys for the door/ignition, but the VIN's at honda would not match for the key code?

Basically, if I used the whole EX steering column doors, I would have to use the EX keys in the VX to obviously use the car, but if I ever went to Honda, and they looked up the VIN's, the key patterns/codes would not match.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Tom -- watch out y0. H22 hatch in the making from ground up!
Old 02-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Project from 93 Civic EX to 92 VX -- got some questions (poison)

well i would not do any of it maybe the interior parts of the door but leave the skin's on if they are in good condition. also im assuming youre transfering to a hatch because of the weight advantage. if so then why transfer over all those parts. electronic's break the hand crank windows and lock don't. plus they weight less. i wouldn't bother with any of it except the motor
Old 02-26-2003, 05:05 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're swapping the dash, doors, steering column and everything else. Why don't you just use the EX keys? The VIN on your dash still matches the doors and ignition cuz the dash came from your old car.

I don't know why you want to waste your time swapping **** over when you could just send your fat *** off to jenny craig and lose the 200 lbs that you will when getting the hatch. To top it off, Eddie's hatch isn't much better than your coupe bodywise.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Project from 93 Civic EX to 92 VX -- got some questions (slammed_93_hatch)

Yea, I am transferring all parts for weight advantages and chassis. Plus, I've had the EX for three years.

I want to transfer the door panels and electrical parts for the tweeters on the door panels, and the interior charcoal black color. Plus the hatch's dash is a little dented and the EX is in perfect shape.

As for the ignition lock, I must have that. I do not want a broken ignition lock, plus I'll transfer the tilt steering as well.

I do not mind keeping the manual windows and manual locks for them not breaking and lasting a lot longer than electrical since Honda wiring blows.

But I definitely would like to have the tweeters as they are placed on the EX and the charcoal black interior with dark grey carpet. Just not too sure what I would do in this case.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the steering column thing, you can just transfer the ignition switch itself, no need to swap the entire column (unless you do like you said and want it for the tilt). Also, what are you planning to do with the EX? just junk the shell or what?
Old 02-26-2003, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Project from 93 Civic EX to 92 VX -- got some questions (b16a ferio)

For the steering column, I could use the VX keys, but for the doors, would the VX locks be transferable? There is a crack in the VX door, so I'll have to use the EX doors wth the electrical unless I stick with the manual windows and fix the crack in the VX door.

As for the EX shell I will probably part it out then junk it.

And for the Dash swap, I'll have to trade the VIN tags on the dash for obvious reasons (chassis do not match). So, it's probably a must to transfer the locks which should be transferable.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:48 AM

bump ^
Old 02-27-2003, 09:52 AM

ooOOoo Poison I may have to come check this project out man sounds awesome.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Project from 93 Civic EX to 92 VX -- got some questions (UtahRockabilly)

ooOOoo Poison I may have to come check this project out man sounds awesome.
we need to meet up Are you going to the Auto-X meeting this friday?

I'm gonna go to Honda and talk to them about the issue with the locks and experiment myself
Old 02-27-2003, 10:03 AM

nah I will be working my screwy days off are tuesday and wednesday. Where are the autocross meets at anyway?
Old 02-27-2003, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Project from 93 Civic EX to 92 VX -- got some questions (UtahRockabilly)

Taylorsville HS at 7 pm

it's on 5400 so and redwood
Old 02-27-2003, 03:07 PM

Sweet *** thats not far from work I will have to come check it out when I get off at 7:30
Old 02-27-2003, 03:25 PM
Trial User

I have a hatch project.... does your have to be done in 65 days????
Old 02-27-2003, 04:11 PM

Sweet *** thats not far from work I will have to come check it out when I get off at 7:30
yes come!
Old 02-27-2003, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Project from 93 Civic EX to 92 VX -- got some questions (purek9hybrid)

I have a hatch project.... does your have to be done in 65 days????
don't really have a time limit, I plan on starting it all when I get every little ding (which there isn't that much) out of the car, paint job and getting itr 5 lug. Then it'll be started which will be within a month.

what's the deal with your project?
Old 03-16-2003, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like another fuun filed night that I will be helping out with a lot again as I helped out with the H22 swap the first time. Call me later brandon
Old 03-16-2003, 09:43 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Project from 93 Civic EX to 92 VX -- got some questions (Ninja_Jc7)

we did the same thing to my roommates hatch.. EX door doors for the power locks, windows, and mirrors.. as for the key problem you can switch out the key cyninder in the doors its not hard at all to do.. or since you will have power door locks now, you can always get an alarm w/ keyless entry and not have to worry bout it.. but as for the wiring and such its not hard it will all plug into the vx fusebox.. IM me if you have any questions
Old 03-16-2003, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project from 93 Civic EX to 92 VX -- got some questions (Hybrid95CivicEX)

so you want to keep the vx door locks right but use the ex doors with power?! so that way you can use the vx key to open the door?

You can remove the lock mechanism from the door handles and switch them. It's a pain in the ****.....but it can be done, I believe there's like a metal clip holding it in...
Old 03-17-2003, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Project from 93 Civic EX to 92 VX -- got some questions (Hybrid95CivicEX)

we did the same thing to my roommates hatch.. EX door doors for the power locks, windows, and mirrors.. as for the key problem you can switch out the key cyninder in the doors its not hard at all to do.. or since you will have power door locks now, you can always get an alarm w/ keyless entry and not have to worry bout it.. but as for the wiring and such its not hard it will all plug into the vx fusebox.. IM me if you have any questions
sweet, thanks

95hbMatt -- correct. Ya I have keyless entry right now with a full alarm system and some other things in the EX. Hopefully everything will transfer and clip in.

I was thinking of using the EX door locks/ignition key on the VX for security purposes (people copying keys), and paranoid that someone out there has a VX key able to get into the car (this hatch was handed around a couple friends), when I know where all the EX keys are.

Has anybody done that or have ideas on that? I'm not worried at all on 'losing' a key for the EX.

Another thing as well on the idea, is when the EX is all said and done, one of my friends wants the shell, but obviously he'll have the vin. I'm trustworthy in him but still would like to shut out the possibility of having another key made from the EX and using that key to get into the VX.

TIA
Old 03-17-2003, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you just never stop
good luck with the swap. it sounds like everything will work. with time, money, anything is possible. can't wait to see the new H/B with all the goodies
Old 03-17-2003, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Project from 93 Civic EX to 92 VX -- got some questions (cccya)

you just never stop
good luck with the swap. it sounds like everything will work. with time, money, anything is possible. can't wait to see the new H/B with all the goodies
ohh no I won't stop I better be 12's with the hatchie (slicks of course).

I plan on doin massive clutch (probably Clutchmasters 3 stage with Fidanza flywheel combo).

you need to get some times adam!
Old 03-17-2003, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to get some times adam!
Yeah well it finally got to 50deg, today here, and the track still has snow and tons of water all over it. wont be till end of april, or may, till my track opens. GOD i hate Me.
Race for me, at least someone i know is have fun at the tracks!!!