Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Problems running and starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Problems running and starting

I have 1992 civic VX with stock D15Z1 Vtec-e motor

When engine gets to temp it stutters when cruising along. It is worse when it’s warm out and moist out. When it’s very cold (below freezing) it’s not a problem. The higher the revs the better it runs. When the engine is cold it starts and runs fine until th engine gets to temp; and the it starts stuttering.

It is warm out now and has been wet last few days and now in addition to stuttering at low rpm when the motor is warmed up it will stall when idling. And it will not start again. It will crank over and sometimes while cranking will make a funny dying sound like it missed during cranking. If i wait 6-8 hours for the motor to cool down it will fire right up no problems and run great until engine gets to temp and then the stuttering and stalling return. The only way I can keep it from stalling or stuttering is to keep the revs way up. As soon as the revs drop below around 3000 it starts stuttering when given gas, and will stammer and stall when given gas while idling.

I changed the plugs, wires and cap and there was no improvement. It is not throwing a check engine light.

Thanks for any any ideas on this!
Old 02-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Re: Problems running and starting

When it's doing it, pull the plug off each injector, one by one and see if there is one injector that makes no difference in the idle. The one that makes no difference is the culprit. I've heard of the windings inside the injectors going crazy when warm. Also, pull each plug wire while its stuttering. Same thing, if it doesn't make a difference, that thats your culprit. Check the plugs after it's been running for a while; one should be a different color than the rest.

Check your fuel pressure at the rail, spark test, injector pulse test, yadda yadda

Also...one more thing. When it wont start, turn the key just so the fuel pump primes. If it primes, or only intermittently, then it's most likely the main relay (VERY common issue) causing the fuel pump to be wonky.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Problems running and starting

The OBD1 system does not detect misfires or throw misfire codes, so a manual dead cylinder test like LiteraCola said is important. However, you should not disconnect the spark plugs while running. The same thing will be learned by disconnecting the fuel injectors.

The 5 wire O2 sensor used on the VX can go bad in a way that doesn't throw codes but does cause runnability problems. It is an expensive part though so rule out other stuff first.