Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Problems with my coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with my coupe

Ok I have a few problems that I really need help with.
First I will list my mods so that there is less confusion.
DC full exhaust system.
Short Shifter
Some kind of aftermarket suspension.
Some kind of aftermarket fuel rail.
I bought the car the way it is so I don't really know too much about the aftermarket on it and the dealership I bought it from said there was a new block put in for more power but i think they were full of ****.
OK so lately I've been hearing a weird sound kind of like air escaping through a crack or somethin. There is also now a sound like something is rattling around maybe in my cat?
Also when I turn corners I hear a weird bumping sound coming from my trunk area. A friend said that his sisters car did the same thing when the boots in the rear drums were worn down and my dad said to jack up the rear end and make sure that the struts are tight. Right now it's way to ******* cold to do that so I figured I would get some opinions.
Also when I started my car today my power steering was out. I used to drive a crx and my civic felt super heavy where the crx i never really noticed. But by the time i got to taco bell and my car warmed up the power steering kicked back on in the drive thru.
Also my speedo,odometer and gauge lights dont work. sometimes the speedo kicks on and the lights have came on a couple times after i hit bumps.
i appreciate any help u guys can give me.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Problems with my coupe (EXEGCoupe93)

Do they have a lemon law in your state? how long ago did you buy the car? Sounds like you got F'd by the dealership (another reason I don't buy cars from "professional automobile salesmen").
I might be able to help a little with the gauge cluster lights and the rattle. It sounds like the bulbs in the back of the gauge cluster are loose or burnt out. You have to figure out how to take the cluster out (I have no idea how to do this in an EG - I know you have to take the plastic molding off somehow), then look on the back. You should see little black plastic circular things...those hold the bulbs. Just twist and pull out. Sometimes the bulbs are just regular 194s that you can get at any auto parts store. When I had my Evo they were a special order part Just make sure that the bulbs are in all the way and that the holders are properly inserted into the cluster.
The rattle might be from the shifter. I know I have an aftermarket shifter on my HX with an aftermarket shift ****, and it rattles a little bit. I think it's just the shifter vibrating against the shift ****, so I'm going to take some silicone or something and squirt it down into the shift **** where the shifter threads on. That might be the problem, or it might be the case that you have metal shifter bushings that aren't completely tight at the linkage - those might be vibrating against the bottom of the shifter. That's just a guess though...old cars have many rattles.

Good luck
Old 12-04-2006, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with my coupe (AntiStock)

yeh i really did get fucked on my car but i already checked my bulbs and they seemed to be fine. i went to autozone to get a few and check but i didnt see them there.
i have had the car since probably feb or march and the bumping sound in the back started after i took out the spare and the floor peice that covers the spare a couple months ago. im not sure if these 2 things are linked but the only thing in my trunk now are wires.
thanks for the post
by the way i know this is gonna be a dumbass question but i dont even know what a lemon law is. lol
Old 12-04-2006, 10:03 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_law

it's all in there
Old 12-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check this out...

http://autopedia.com/Lemon/IN_lemonlaw2.html

lemon law for indiana. Did you know about these problems when you bought the car or did they start now?
Old 12-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with my coupe (dr92cx)

they told me that the speedo worked most of the time but it works once in a while and they told me my cd player worked but the face plate was at another shop so i went and got it and it didnt work. it was the fist car i had ever bought and i made a lot of dumb mistakes but u live and learn.
so i come out today and my drivers side door is keyed. ******* love my life. but i also got a job at a body shop as a porter today so........****** sweet.
since i already have a thread going im just gonna ask this question here. ive read around on ls/vtec and crvtec swaps and i was wondering.... u use the ls tranny and crv trannys right? or could u hook up a better one? im thinkin about doing one of these swaps and its gonna come a lot sooner now that i make 10 an hour full time and a lot of my cars expenses are cut down because of me working at a shop where i can do my own body work.
also i think i have read on here or another website that one of the 2 swaps make around 180-190 whp. what about the other? and about the trannys again; so either of them have lsds in them?
thanks
Old 12-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could use any b series transmission, as in gsr's, b16's most jdm trannys have lsd, if not you could always put one in
Old 12-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with my coupe (vlc92189)

yeh i was just wondering in case i bought a complete swap which tranny i would want to use