Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Problems with instaling sway bar on Civic Cx

Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Problems with instaling sway bar on Civic Cx

I have been trying to mount a front 22mm sway bar from a civic ex I got the ex lca's on there but my problem is the pre threaded holes under the sub frame for the sway bar brackets bolts are oxidated and rusted I have tried searching around but haven't found much but 1 person who used a 8mmX1.25 tap Im thinking about using a hard wire brush to clean off rust but I don't know if that's gonna work and If I use the tap tool is that gonna change the thread? Can anybody who has had this same issue let me know what they did???
Thanx
Old 10-04-2012, 05:49 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Problems with instaling sway bar on Civic Cx

Use the tap, it won't change the threads, it'll just clean the rust out. Buy a small can of this stuff to put on the tap:
Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you man and another issue I have also is that the first time I tried bolting it on is that one of the bolts snapped on me so Im in the middle that Im gonna have to get a left hand drill bit to get it off
Old 10-04-2012, 06:25 PM
GDD Member

Go to harbor freight and grab a screw extractor set. It'll come in a little orange box like this and cost around four bucks.

I buy em all the time when I'm not near my regular tools and they work alright, but you can only use them once and the drill bits usually break in half immediately afterwards. Drill a hole through the bolt, put the extractor in, set the drill to reverse, then send it down the hole and it'll pull the bolt right out.

Using a lefthanded drill bit works as well, but the drill bits aren't tapered, so they don't really grab onto the broken bolt very well and often times end up drilling (as they were meant to do) rather than extracting.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thread chasers are actually the proper tool for this but a tap can work in a pinch. Chasers are meant to clean threads while taps are made to cut threads.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM
GDD Member

Good luck trying to find an M8x1.25 thread chaser in stock at your local tool vendor.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slomofo
Good luck trying to find an M8x1.25 thread chaser in stock at your local tool vendor.
True.

Could make one out of a bolt I guess? Something like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Inex...thread-chaser/
Old 10-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i either lube a bolt up and SLOWLY work in back and forth with a wrench to break up the rust, or take a bolt and cut 3 grooves in it like a tap has and try that. Just make sure to go slow and work it back and forth, and take it out every couple turns to let the dirt/rust out and lube it back up.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was planning to use this

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=2040015
Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lazii_boi08
That will work, just use plenty of fluid with it.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 PM
GDD Member

Originally Posted by lazii_boi08

Find a spare bracket or something that has an M8x1.25 hole in it, then run the autozone tap through that hole first after applying a few drops of tap magic. Great neck tools are okay for small jobs, but their tap & die sets are junk for the most part due to poor quality control. I'm not telling you to run out and buy a good quality tap because that could set you back as much as 40 bucks for the one tap by itself and IMO, that's a waste of money for something you're likely to use once in your life. What I am telling you is to be very careful with these Great Neck tools and inspect them thoroughly as well as test it once before you use it on your car.

I've personally used these taps and they're hit/miss. You have to inspect the individual threads for consistency because I've seen a few of them with deep burrs in the center threads which will thread in just fine, but halfway through your tapping job, the burr will enter the hole and start ruining all the threads you've just created/cleaned, so the end result will be a cross threaded hole. I've also seen others where the threads match up perfectly with the bolts, but once you start running it through, you realize that there's a slight taper to the tap so the bolt that you insert into your new threads ends up fitting loosely.

So the best way to combat hokey tools is to test them out first by running the tap through a clean pre-threaded hole and if you feel any dragging or sticking, then exchange the tool for a different one.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

man I thank yaw so much for the Info But 1 more question is there any other chemical I can use besides Thread Magic or similar to it?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 PM
GDD Member

You can use WD40, mineral oil, regular motor oil, or if you happen to be sitting inside of a Wendy's, you can order a Classic triple and hold the burger over the tap and about a gallon of grease will drip off of it.

Just get some lube on it, but higher viscosity lubes don't work as well.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well you guys I finally got the B!tch on there I had to put it like that since I been trying since the summer and Hell that I had to go through to get it on there the 8mx1.25 tap worked well on the pre threaded holes for the sway bar bracket even though one had a broken bolt that I tried extracting and out of my "Luck" as I tried hammering the extractor in it instead broke the pre thread hole off (basicly the Nut) with the broken bolt still in it and left a hole and I used a 10mx1.5 tap and threaded and got the same size bolt for it and it worked then it was such a pain Maneuvering the bar around the exhaust pipe yea it was pain maybe cause the car was on jack stands but its done now and man that is a huge weight off my chest now the car responds better when your steer left and right But I thank yaw very much for being helpful now its time for me to order the rear sway bar end links lol
Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for anybody else who wants to instal sway bars on Civic models CX/DX here is a nice DIY that I found on it
http://lowmotion.org/viewtopic.php?t=81104