Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Only respond if you have successfully swapped y8 internals into a y5 head

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only respond if you have successfully swapped y8 internals into a y5 head

Hello guys i bought a 96 ek with a minime swap. Y5 head and y7 head. I completely hate the y5 head and was wondering if i can swap the internals of a y8 into the y5 head. Ive heard it will work and wont work. Dont Want to swap the head since i have 175psi across the board and dont want to spend alot of $ since im in school. i need a real answer not a rookie guess. Thanks guys in advance
Old 02-14-2014, 01:34 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: y8 internals in y5 head

You could but it'll be easier just to find the Y8 head instead of someone just trying to sell the valve train. Plus with the Y5/Y7 exhaust manifold and Y7 transmission the Y8 head alone won't feel like much of an upgrade. You'll also have to find a P2P ECU and do some wiring of the IACV to a two wire if that hasn't been done already.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:54 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Yeah better to swap out the head. Before swapping heads get the replacement checked for warpage and make sure they keep the head within spec or you'll run into problems.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its already running with a y8 ecu, y8 intake mani, iacv 3 to 2 wire, knock sensor wired in, i just found out that its a y5 head and dont want to damage the motor. Also i dont want to deal with a headswap because i have 175psi all across the board.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive already found a donor y8 head for cheap. Dont want to spend money on a machine shop, headgasket and stuff. But i just want to know is it possible to swap the internals over???
Old 02-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pnwjdm
i just want to know is it possible to swap the internals over???
Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
You could...
Old 02-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So id have no problem swapping it over? Every thread ive seen (only 2 on this topic) says something about the oil passages being different. Just want to make sure.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just want to make sure.
What would you read or hear that would make you sure?
Old 02-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From someone whose done it before and been successful. I dont want to take my valve train apart and find out the y8 wont bolt in/work properly
Old 02-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From someone whose done it before and been successful. I dont want to take my valve train apart and find out the y8 wont bolt in/work properly
Will you also need notarized documentation to verify? Otherwise, somebody might not tell the truth.

You'll be hard pressed to find somebody more credible than Hero.

I changed your thread title to clarify your stringent demand for credible information.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:28 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Only respond if you have successfully swapped y8 internals into a y5 head

The Y5 and Y8 heads both have the P2J casting code. Logically, that would tell you that they are the same head when bare. Following that same train of logic, that means you can swap out all of the "internals" from a Y8 head into a Y5 head. For a question like this, you should look at the part numbers in a parts catalog. If they're the same, then they're the same part. In this case, they are both 12100-P2M-010.

In short, yes, you can swap everything from a Y8 head into a Y5 head, but you have to swap EVERYTHING except the caps.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Only respond if you have successfully swapped y8 internals into a y5 head

Ok thanks that makes sense notaracist . Also ron sorry for being extra careful. I dont know anyone here so i wouldnt know anyone whose credible or not i dont spend 24/7 on ht
Old 02-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for changing the title... *******

Last edited by pnwjdm; 02-17-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for changing the title...

Ok thanks that makes sense.
Haha, so fickle!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
The Y5 and Y8 heads both have the P2J casting code. Logically, that would tell you that they are the same head when bare. Following that same train of logic, that means you can swap out all of the "internals" from a Y8 head into a Y5 head. For a question like this, you should look at the part numbers in a parts catalog. If they're the same, then they're the same part. In this case, they are both 12100-P2M-010.

In short, yes, you can swap everything from a Y8 head into a Y5 head, but you have to swap EVERYTHING except the caps.
Can i keep the y5 valve springs? Its not a problem if i got to swap them since ill be changing the valve seals anyways

Last edited by pnwjdm; 02-17-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:53 AM

The valves are the same part #. The exhaust valve springs are the same part #, but the intake springs are different. The seats, retainers, and keeps are all the same part #.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Will you also need notarized documentation to verify? Otherwise, somebody might not tell the truth.

You'll be hard pressed to find somebody more credible than Hero.

I changed your thread title to clarify your stringent demand for credible information.
ROFLMAO. You crack me up.

OP its possible as you already said, the heads are identical. You just have to put everything in the order you took it out, don't mix the cam holders, make sure you clean and oil everything. Everything also HAS TO BE TORQUE TO SPEC or else you risking tightening it too much or snap a bolt. The worst I can tell that CAN happen is the cam holder bolt snapping as you torque it down. Thats why I personally say you find another head and swap it in.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Ive already found a donor y8 head for cheap. Dont want to spend money on a machine shop, headgasket and stuff. But i just want to know is it possible to swap the internals over???
Can i keep the y5 valves? Its not a problem if i got to swap them since ill be changing the valve seals anyways
You don't want to go to the trouble of a head swap because oyu don't want to deal with the machine shop, head gasket etc, yet you are willing to swap valves.....

This is irony..... Can't take the valves out to swap em without pulling the head...... Nor can you seat the new valves without pulling the head.....
Old 02-15-2014, 05:46 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by TomCat39
You don't want to go to the trouble of a head swap because oyu don't want to deal with the machine shop, head gasket etc, yet you are willing to swap valves.....

This is irony..... Can't take the valves out to swap em without pulling the head...... Nor can you seat the new valves without pulling the head.....
hehehe...Thats why I always refer them to the helms manual to do further research.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know where everyone reads it works because it doesn't .. these heads are different... vtec e had roller rockers and the y8 didn't and the lobes will not line up correctly .... I remember reading this before... I could be wrong
Old 02-15-2014, 08:40 AM

apexi, the cams and rocker assemblies are both completely different. You can't put Y5 roller rockers on a Y8 cam, and you can't put Y8 rocker arms on a Y5 cam, but you CAN put Y8 rockers and a Y8 cam in a Y5 head. The bare heads are identical.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When i meant y5 valves i actually meant valve spring. My mix up. Well i swapped everything over and while i did it, i did new valve seals and new timing belt and water pump. Car is working pretty nice and overall im happy i swapped everything. Car feels like it gained more torque and i like that. Thanks for the positive responses
Old 02-17-2014, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39

I made a mistake. I meant valve springs. The reason i even asked is because i read they were different and didnt know if it was correct
Old 02-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
I don't know where everyone reads it works because it doesn't .. these heads are different... vtec e had roller rockers and the y8 didn't and the lobes will not line up correctly .... I remember reading this before... I could be wrong
Than you probably haven't read into what we are talking about.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Leave it stock. Your only gonna **** it up and then cry about it.

Quick Reply: Only respond if you have successfully swapped y8 internals into a y5 head