Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

problems with civic exhaust and general questions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with civic exhaust and general questions?

helloi have a 99 honda civic ex SOHC 1.6L d series engine. i recently bought an exhaust system from a fellow honda owner but there were alot of fitment issues so the exhaust was mofiied by me and my mechanic but it hangs low with about 2 inch clearance but i want to lower my car but am afraid in doing so i would have to get a new exhaust i am using lexani lowering springs that give me a 1.4 inch drop and am getting some new shocks. can any one give me ideas on how to pull the exhaust up for a better fit so i can lower the car. also here are some noob questions, im not a total noob i do know about cars but i am looking for some information from people that have done these modifacations. i have a AEM intake headers and full cat back and a cat delete now would i have to retune my car and how would i got about doing this. this is one aspected i dont understand would i just use a flash tuner? i would like to get my civic to about 160-180hp just to have fun on the streets and have more passing power. i belive that stock my car makes around 127hp so how would i get it up another 30-50 without a turbo and with the mods i already have. any information you can offer is helpful ik alot about preformance parts but would like information on what parts from other honda owners have used for a daily driver car to make more power. hopefully i wont get alot of probloms for asking this question this thread was created mostly for my exhaust problom
Old 01-25-2013, 12:40 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Default Re: problems with civic exhaust and general questions?

To make it faster either a swap or a turbo. Exhaust Intake and a Header will not do anything.
Get a new exhaust that fits correct, or maybe try some different hangers.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A lot of times with after market exhaust people put the mid pipe where the resonator is up side down, I'd try flipping it and fitting it that way before doing anything else.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:06 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by powerpunk5000
i would like to get my civic to about 160-180hp ...how would i get it up another 30-50 without a turbo and with the mods i already have.
Simple. You can't.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Simple. You can't.
your right that was worded wrong, with what mods besides a turbo could i get an extra 30 or so hp. i was thinking about a cam but from what i have read most cam give more power in the high rpms and at redline i want more low to mid rang power for daily driving
Old 01-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by EFfin Sedan 91
A lot of times with after market exhaust people put the mid pipe where the resonator is up side down, I'd try flipping it and fitting it that way before doing anything else.
the way i have it fitted now is the headers then the cat delete then the mid pipe with the resanator connected to the s pipe
Old 01-25-2013, 01:46 PM
The Grumpiest

This.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/all-motor-%2A-sohc-%2A-chime-1771904/
Old 01-25-2013, 02:01 PM

your right that was worded wrong, with what mods besides a turbo could i get an extra 30 or so hp. i was thinking about a cam but from what i have read most cam give more power in the high rpms and at redline i want more low to mid rang power for daily driving
If you want the power get a turbo, if you want a headache and to spend a ton of money then go all motor.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by doctorake
If you want the power get a turbo, if you want a headache and to spend a ton of money then go all motor.
i just dont have the money for a decent turbo set up, sure i could get a cheap turbo but i dont want that on my daily driver
Old 01-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Icon6 Re: problems with civic exhaust and general questions?

have you tried making the hangers shorter so that it would pull the exhaust so you wont have it hanging too low?,
Old 01-25-2013, 02:55 PM
The Grumpiest

i just dont have the money for a decent turbo set up, sure i could get a cheap turbo but i dont want that on my daily driver
Then research that thread I pointed you at.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by ckrs_civic
have you tried making the hangers shorter so that it would pull the exhaust so you wont have it hanging too low?,
well the hangers are welded to the pipes, i would have to cut and re weld the hangers back on, do they make shorter hanger mounts?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Trial User

i have been looking at it thanks for pointing it out i also found some threads on a d series form. ik its hard to build a powerful Na d series and looks like at most ill get 160whp with pistions rods cams
Old 01-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Trial User

from what i see you have the same engine as me (your 96 ex) at some point did you ever think of going with an na build? and how much was your turbo set up since you still have stock internals? do you just use the turbo for fun on the streets or do you go to the strip? i thought your car was very well built esc. the point you got it from
Old 01-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're running the same engine I am, a d16y8. Yeah I wouldn't mod that unless I knew for a fact that I would never be able to get ahold of a B to swap it. So as for power, don't mod the D. Swap it and the power peak is way higher.

As for the exhaust. Get rid of it and get a legit exhaust MADE FOR YOUR CAR after you lower it to where you want. Keep the fart can off of it. Maybe have a mechanic or someone who's good at welding fab one up for you.

But really biggest deal to me is to NOT mod the D you have. Unless you just want a little more power and you're not looking to beat people off the block all the time. If that makes sense. However if you do swap, keep the D series as a backup. I will never sell my y8 in case I need the spare. Ya never know.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:15 AM
The Grumpiest

at some point did you ever think of going with an na build?
Absolutely not.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by doctorake
if i got a turbo it would most likley be a cheap turbo running at 5psi i think 5 psi would get me good pick up without hurting my motor. like i said my motor has under 60k on it and is my DD so could i run a god speed turbo (i heard there decent on dseries.org) everything ecp an intercooler. after how would i beggin to tune it?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:58 PM
The Grumpiest

5PSI don't mean a thing so that tells me you don't know much about turbos. If you have to ask those questions just forget about going turbo. The only questions you should have is after you have a complete parts list in front of you.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Simple. You can't.
Supa-charga!
*shot*
^^;;

In all seriousness though, either swap the motor or go turbo for more power, or just enjoy the gas mileage and ease of maintenance with your D-Series
Old 01-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Trial User

5PSI don't mean a thing so that tells me you don't know much about turbos. If you have to ask those questions just forget about going turbo. The only questions you should have is after you have a complete parts list in front of you.
ik 5psi does not mean anything, every turbo has a diffrent "map" and puts out a diffrent amount of hp per psi. i would like to have 150-160whp. from what i read stock d rods can handle around 210. what information would i have to supply to get some opinions, im just trying to weigh all my options
Old 01-27-2013, 06:28 AM

Usually the people that get the most help in the forced induction subforum have done research and understand how a turbo system works. They then post a parts list and ask a few final questions.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:34 AM
The Grumpiest

Too many variables to answer your question. Get a parts list together and then ask your questions. But I'm guessing that once you get to that point you will be able to answer your own questions.

But right now I'm guessing you want someone to hand you some information so you can decide what direction to go without having to do any research yourself. Seen it too many times.