Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

problems with b18c turbo....

Old 10-16-2002, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with b18c turbo....

hey,

i've got a b18c in a civic coupe. i put a drag 3 turbo kit on it and it runs fine but lately it has been running in "limp mode" right around when vtec kicks in. i redid all of the vacuum lines but the problem persists. I've set the boost at 5 psi because of this and it is still running bad...the car runs good from idle to 4500 rpm, but then after that, the cars starts to bog really bad and it won't even pick up speed while the rpm slowly goes up...i just want to know if there is something wrong with my engine or if my turbo is jacked up...i have a huge list of mods done to the car...it might be one of my mods too...please help me...
Old 10-16-2002, 09:56 AM

Default Re: problems with b18c turbo.... (orientalgunz_00)

hey,

i've got a b18c in a civic coupe. i put a drag 3 turbo kit on it and it runs fine but lately it has been running in "limp mode" right around when vtec kicks in. i redid all of the vacuum lines but the problem persists. I've set the boost at 5 psi because of this and it is still running bad...the car runs good from idle to 4500 rpm, but then after that, the cars starts to bog really bad and it won't even pick up speed while the rpm slowly goes up...i just want to know if there is something wrong with my engine or if my turbo is jacked up...i have a huge list of mods done to the car...it might be one of my mods too...please help me...
Did you reset the ecu? I had that problem...same setup as you...but S-afc hack. Could be you're running too rich. But reset the ecu first and see
Old 10-16-2002, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problems with b18c turbo.... (cinq)

i dontknow much in details about tuning a turbo motor but its basic tuning i think....do you have a FPR? cause if you dont it tends to boog when it gets high RPM. but then again it was fine before....i've seen theese little spacers thats sits between the map sensor and TB i dont know what their called but motorsports technics(hayward,ca) makes them... it pasues the air flow long enough to get the boost going... hopoe this helps...

[Modified by DOHCtorTHRUST, 8:04 PM 10/16/2002]
Old 10-16-2002, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problems with b18c turbo.... (DOHCtorTHRUST)

Yes, this is a map sensor issue. The stock honda map sensor is not supposed to recognize more than 1 pound of boost or vacume. So therefor, any actual boost ***** with the MAP and then your car doesn't work anymore.

I don't know very much about boost. I bet the guys in the forced induction forum could write a book on this though.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:06 PM

Default Re: problems with b18c turbo.... (Plan B)

i know what you guys are talking about...those spacers that go between the map sensor and the throttle bodies are called "Missing Links" these replace the check valves that regulates the boost...i have a missing link on there, but it still does this...by the way, i have pics, if you want to see them, click on my name and click on my homepage...please, tell me what you think of this problem please...thank you all for replying....

dx
Old 10-17-2002, 08:38 PM

Default Re: problems with b18c turbo.... (orientalgunz_00)

<U></U>
i know what you guys are talking about...those spacers that go between the map sensor and the throttle bodies are called "Missing Links" these replace the check valves that regulates the boost...i have a missing link on there, but it still does this...by the way, i have pics, if you want to see them, click on my name and click on my homepage...please, tell me what you think of this problem please...thank you all for replying....

dx
<U></U>

I would of said check your check valves because it sound like your map sensor is seeing boost...But then you mentioned this missing link thing...Which I've never heard of...It still sound's to me that the map sensor is seeing boost...check if that missing link thing is working correctly, by replacing it with check valves...at least this way you might be able to isolate the problem better...

Also check you plugs, cap, and rotor! Good luck~