Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Problems after replacing stock radiator

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after replacing stock radiator

Hey, I'll be giving a sort of lengthy story on this one to give the most information i can, better to give too much than not enough i guess.

All stock z6, radiator **** the bed a couple weeks ago. It sat until i could get the money for a new one, yesterday bought a mizu and put it in. The install went fine, i let the fan turn on 3 times while bleeding the air from the coolant system. While replacing coolant accordingly as the coolant levels dropped so no more air would get in.

I figured that would be good, well no i drove it for ten minutes came back and air/coolant was spurting from the side of the upper hose connecting to the block, almost as if the clamp wasnt tight eough. I let it cool down and there was a good amout of coolant missig from the radiator filled it up and continued the bleeding process again. I stood there for i kid you not about 75 minutes watching air come up, the fan kicked on 15 times and still there was air, it was getting dark so i quit.

I had to drive it to work today so i took it for a little 10 minute drive, came home everything seemed fine, my temp gauge has read normal this entire time. Come home and the upper radiator hose is ballooned to almost twice the size like the thermostat isnt opening, but my temp gauge is still cool.

I dont know if my thermos bad or if theres still a huge amout of air in the system or what?

Sorry for the long *** post,

a little summary, replaced stock radiator, bled the air out for a hour+, upper radiator hosed ballooned up.

Any ideas? my buddy told me the little valve on the block where the hose connects is also used to bleed air so im gonna wait for it to cool down and probably give that a shot...
Old 09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Problems after replacing stock radiator

did it overheat at all before you replaced the radiator?
Old 09-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope, the radiator just started spittin out fluid at the top, temp gauge has been good before and after
Old 09-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Do a compression test. I'd almost put money on a blown head gasket.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93EssEYE
Any ideas? my buddy told me the little valve on the block where the hose connects is also used to bleed air so im gonna wait for it to cool down and probably give that a shot...
how were you bleeding it originally? someone is gonna chime in with bleeding the air with the rad cap off and the bleeder valve by the upper rad hose while having the the front end up in the air. what kind of coolant are you using? im not gonna ride the honda bandwagon on this one but i hope its a 50/50 mix of some sort. i would of went with a oem rad than some aftermarket. what about the radiator cap?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Unfortunately, I suspect this^ is the unwanted answer to your problem. Remove the head, have it milled flat by a machine shop, and install a new OEM gasket. Many people can advise you through the process.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to verify your HG possibility warm the car up with the rad cap off and see if bubbles come up. if so smell the bubbles and if it smells like exhaust then there u go HG is toast
Old 09-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by E-Money
how were you bleeding it originally? someone is gonna chime in with bleeding the air with the rad cap off and the bleeder valve by the upper rad hose while having the the front end up in the air. what kind of coolant are you using? im not gonna ride the honda bandwagon on this one but i hope its a 50/50 mix of some sort. i would of went with a oem rad than some aftermarket. what about the radiator cap?
Yeah originally i was bleeding it with the radiator cap off, letting the bubbles come up through there. I would add coolant(yup, 50/50 mix) when it was getting low enough to let more air into the radiator, i wasnt using the valve on the block cause i didnt know about it then.

Haha and what can i say, im a sucker for shiny metal lol, i got it for only 30 bucks more than stock so at least its a good price.

Originally Posted by 94EG8

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Unfortunately, I suspect this^ is the unwanted answer to your problem. Remove the head, have it milled flat by a machine shop, and install a new OEM gasket. Many people can advise you through the process.
DAMN...**** alright ill try to get my hands on a compression tester..i've only seen one done once. It was with a tester and he turned the engine over 5 times for each cylinder with the dizzy disconnected i believe..isn't there another way to do it, a leak down, ahh well im sure i can find it in another thread on here or on youtube.

Thanks for the responses guys, ill see whats up tomorrow in the morning since i dont work. Ill probasbly be back in here with more questions lol.

Oh yeah, ill try that, rad. with the cap off and smell the bubbles, theres still air in there so ill be able to ugh
Old 09-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Click the Compression link in my signature.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh, ha convenient thanks bro ill check it out
Old 09-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93EssEYE
Come home and the upper radiator hose is ballooned to almost twice the size like the thermostat isnt opening, but my temp gauge is still cool.
Temp sensor/switch?