Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Problems with ABS on a used car purchase

Old 06-03-2006, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with ABS on a used car purchase

I just bought a used 92 del sol and I just found out a problem with the ABS. First of all, the light doesn't turn flash on upon startup and when driving in the rain, when slammed on the pedal, the brakes lock up, no abs working at all. Also, the fuses are all in tact under the hood for the abs slots and on top of that, tried the diagnostics by jumping the wire and no codes, just a steady check engine light.

I'm wondering if the previous owner fucked around with it or broke it and just took out the light bulb for the abs light. Can't really contact him as I bought the car from someone on behalf of the owner because the owner left the country.

Anyway, some help would be great. Thanks
Old 06-03-2006, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Problems with ABS on a used car purchase (ludelvr)

are you sure it has ABS? My Si del sol didnt have them.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludelvr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just bought a used 92 Del Sol...</TD></TR></TABLE>USDM DelSol Models were from 93-97... USDM 95-97 DelSol Models had ABS as an option...
http://www.slhondaparts.com/br...ors=2
I'm not sure how CDM models differ...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludelvr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... I just found out a problem with the ABS. First of all, the light doesn't turn flash on upon startup and when driving in the rain, when slammed on the pedal, the brakes lock up, no ABS working at all. Also, the fuses are all intact under the hood for the ABS slots and on top of that, tried the diagnostics by jumping the wire and no codes, just a steady Check Engine Light.</TD></TR></TABLE>What code for your CEL? Get that fixed first... whether or not it is related to your problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludelvr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm wondering if the previous owner fucked around with it or broke it and just took out the light bulb for the abs light. Can't really contact him as I bought the car from someone on behalf of the owner because the owner left the country.</TD></TR></TABLE>Sounds a little suspect to me... What kind of confidence can anyone have buying anything from someone who is no longer in the country? Did he leave the country after selling the vehicle? Who are the people who sold you your car? What are they saying about the vehicle, and how willing are they to help you? Was this problem not checked when you test drove your vehicle?

Either way, go to your local Honda Dealership or a mechanic that specializes in Honda/Acura models. The problem with ABS is that it isn't a purely mechanical system, and with so much of the car's electronics involved, it can come down to the wiring and/or an electrical component. Have you used anything (DMM) to test ALL of your ABS Wiring? We won't be able to give any definitive help unless we are there with you looking at your mystery DelSol...

Take off your Rear Wheel. Do you have Rear Disc Brakes? Do you have ABS Sensor Wiring coming through the Caliper Mudguard? Do you have a Magnetic Tone Ring Collar around the base of your Hub/Bearing Assembly? These are some things that can help identify what you have, but we still might not be able to help determine what's wrong... Give us the first 8 digits of your VIN, and maybe we can help figure out what you REALLY have... I vote for a Trip to the Dealership...

Anyway, let us know how things go!
JasonGhostz
Old 06-03-2006, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Problems with ABS on a used car purchase (JasonGhostz)

hey thanks guys for the replies. I am located in New Zealand at the moment and the car was imported from Japan. The guy who was selling the car was a younger guy who left the country to work overseas. His dad's friend is the one selling the car on his behalf. Seemed like an okay guy, but this day and age, you never can tell.

The car does have ABS, as it has the indicator on the instrument cluster. As well, there is the fuse box in the engine bay with the relays and what not and finally, there is the pump located next to the firewall by the battery in the engine bay. Normally I wouldn't give two ***** about abs but unfortunately in New Zealand, they have a thing called warrant of fitness (WOF) and on older cars, you need to have this done every 6 months or so and they do an inspection on the car to see if it's roadworthy. items like rust around the frame, leaky exhaust, pipes, fluids or anything can cause you to fail. Rust around teh windows, leaky windows misalignment and other things like that will also cause you to fail. They are pretty stringent here and you guessed it, having a car equipped with ABS and not having it working will also cause me to fail.

I'm taking it to buddy who's a mechanic and he actually does the WOFs so he'll see if he can diagnose the problem, but that's gonna be next week. Was just trying to get a head start to assess the problem.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dang, dood... When I was in NZ, I had a rental car. I never imagined things could be so tight anywhere else but Germany...

I wish there were a way I could help, but if all the parts are there, I'd say it's an electrical problem with one of the many ABS components. The only thing I can recommend is looking into the Helm Service Manual for the vehicle, and/or having the guy doing the WOF look into it...
http://www.helminc.com/helm/Re...DEP06
(There's even an ABS Service Video!)

Anyway, here are some of the DTC readings from my 96-00 Civic Manual...
DTC: None
ABS Indicator Light: OFF
DIAGNOSIS/SYMPTOM: ABS indicator light does not come on when ignition switch is turned on (II)
PROBABLE CAUSE:
- Open in the power source circuit for the ABS indicator light
- Blown ABS indicator light bulb
- Open in the ABS indicator light drive circuit
- Short to power in the WALP circuit
- Faulty ABS control unit

The troubleshooting flowchart (again, for the 96-00 Civic) recommends checking the 5-pin connector for the Gauge Cluster (the 1st, 3rd, and 5th wires from left to right). I'm not sure if this would be the same for the DelSol, but it's about all the help I can offer for now...

I would imagine the DelSol's diagnosis is similar, if not the same. Hopefully, somone else can confirm this...
Best of luck to you overseas, man! Let us know how this thing goes!
JasonGhostz