Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Problem when installing coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem when installing coilovers

So I was lowering my del sol today and I ran across a problem. The bolt which holds the shock into the fork was seized, so I didn't even bother with it. Instead I undid the bolt which goes into the lower control arm (btw this is in the front). And I undid and removed the axel. This way the brake assembly would pivot around and I could let the strut assembly which was still connected to the fork, fall down and I could remove it.

Now here is my problem. I installed the coilover sleeve on this particlar shock. I put it back in, but now the brake assembly will not pivot back all the way so that I can put the bolt back into the lower control arm. I put the axel back in, but it's like the whole assembly is being held back or something. I just can't figure out why this is. When I took off the whole works before to have my wheel bearings replaced, I know I had this same problem but I just can't remember what I did to fix it and it's really frustrating me. I know it has to be something simple. Any ideas?

Old 11-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Problem when installing coilovers (devney)

i'm having a hard time visualizing what you did from just reading it, but have you tried removing the tie rod, that will make the hub pivot (left to right).
Old 11-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also having a hard time visualizing it also.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It should pivot on the tie rod and the upper control arm once the bolt that goes through the lower control arm has been taken out of the hole. It will pivot towards the rear of the car so that it is out of the way. Now when I try and rotate it all back to put the axel back in and lift it to put the bolt back into the lower control arm, it won't pivot back so that it is straight and I can't figure out why. I guess I don't know how else to explain it.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What I am trying to say is that I undid the nut on the lower ball joint, undid the axel nut, and took the axel out of the hub. I pivoted the hub assembly back out of the way and now that I want to put it back together, it's like my axel is too long. I can get it back into the hub but the hub won't go all the way straight again. In other words if I were to put my tire on it would look like my steering wheel is turned. It's like my axel is too long. I don't get it. Help anyone?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could the inner joints on my axels have popped out of place or something?