Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

problem with vtec

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with vtec

i have a 98 civic d16. i have read that if the cel is on then it want let the vtec work? if this is true could i not just wire the silonid to a button and work it that way till i got my cel off? i not really sure how all that works. someone please help
Old 08-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when the cel is on, it puts the car into limp mode. you can't go above 3500 for a reason, its so you wont damage your engine internals. read the CEL sticky and find out what code you are throwing. you need to get this cleared up before you try to hotwire some **** and expletive your car up. then you'll be asking how to do an engine swap next....
Old 08-04-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: (gsxr1k05)

if 3500 you mean rpms then i can hit the rev limiter. but the code is for the secondary o2 sensor. just not really got the money for one at the miniute
Old 08-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsxr1k05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when the cel is on, it puts the car into limp mode. you can't go above 3500 for a reason, its so you wont damage your engine internals. read the CEL sticky and find out what code you are throwing. you need to get this cleared up before you try to hotwire some **** and expletive your car up. then you'll be asking how to do an engine swap next....</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol no no this isnt a volkswagen. When the CEL turns on, it just means there's a fault with whatever component that the CEL is on for. The car will still go to redline unless there's a mechanical fault that's preventing it from doing so. The ECU does not limit RPMs under redline for anything except speed cut. Which, I believe, only happens with JDM ECUs.

VTEC needs these things to activate:

VTEC solenoid and oil pressure signal (duh)

Certain RPM (duh)

Coolant at normal operating temperature (The ECU has to be able to recognize
this electronically thru the coolant temp sensor)

Oil pressure

Speed sensor signal (car is moving)

Throttle input

It will activate unless something mentioned ^^ above is not right.

Vtec may or may not operate for you depending on what your CEL is for. Find out...and have it fixed. Easy sleazy.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Re: (B serious)

its the secondary o2 sensor
Old 08-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b serious, while you are correct, wouldn't the sec. o2 have something to do with vtec sense it helps manage fuel delivery
Old 08-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

98exturd, that's not true. You can have a CEL and the vtec still work, depending on the code that it is throwing. You should find out what the codes are so you can see if they have anything in relation to your vtec or just other problems with the car that need fixed. In addition to the comment b serious left, check your knock sensor. When my knock sensor broke, it disabled my vtec. Don't try to hotwire something up though. It will only cause problems for you in the future.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (theblob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98exturd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 98 civic d16. i have read that if the cel is on then it want let the vtec work? if this is true could i not just wire the silonid to a button and work it that way till i got my cel off? i not really sure how all that works. someone please help</TD></TR></TABLE>

It depends on what CEL it is, if it's a VTEC related check engine light then it won't work. If it's not a VTEC related CEL, it will still function fine.

A CEL will NOT throw it into limp mode like gsxr1k05 says it would unless it's something catastrophic (like your knock sensor is detecting a knock).

Use this link to find out your CEL:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557

Find out what CEL you're throwing and get back to us.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98exturd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its the secondary o2 sensor</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-05-2007, 03:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsxr1k05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b serious, while you are correct, wouldn't the sec. o2 have something to do with vtec sense it helps manage fuel delivery
</TD></TR></TABLE>

the SECONDARY O2 has nothing to do with fuel delivery. It's a monitor. It monitor's the cat's function. The primary controls fuel delivery.

The primary O2 voltage will jump between 0(lean) and 1(rich) volts back and forth over and over to keep adjusting fuel delivery in CLOSED LOOP OPERATION. (car warmed up, at a constant, lower percentage throttle opening)

The secondary O2 voltage should stay relatively constant. around 0 volts. It should be seeing mostly oxygen. That's how it knows that the cat is working and present.

OP: is your cat present? maybe your secondary O2 is bad and it needs replacement....maybe there's bad wiring. You'd have to look at it.

It has NOTHING to do with VTEC, however.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It depends on what CEL it is, if it's a VTEC related check engine light then it won't work. If it's not a VTEC related CEL, it will still function fine.

A CEL will NOT throw it into limp mode like gsxr1k05 says it would unless it's something catastrophic (like your knock sensor is detecting a knock).

Use this link to find out your CEL:

Find out what CEL you're throwing and get back to us.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hondas dont really have a "limp mode". If it knocks...the ECU just retards timing as much as it can until it cant anymore. That's why turbo cars with piggybacks still blow up. There's really no limp mode.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:35 PM

so why is my vtec not comin in. vtec is some then that is easy to tell when it comes in right?
Old 08-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe this will help...

Old 08-05-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: (98exturd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98exturd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so why is my vtec not comin in. vtec is some then that is easy to tell when it comes in right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

depends on the car. have you ever been able to notice your vtec cross over?

D series VTEC only comes on on the intake side. If you have an exhaust, it sometimes drowns it out.

What kind of car? what mods?
Old 08-05-2007, 07:24 PM

ok i have a 98 civic ex. i dont know about the cross over thing? i bout the car with no motor and then put one in. and i have an intake and full exuast. i dont know what kind all i know is its really loud and sounds like dammit. so are you saying maybe i dont hear it. my gf used to have a 00 si and you could really hear it. but wouldnt i feel it?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: (98exturd)

00 si has a B16A. DOHC vtec is usually VERY noticeable. Except for on the GSR.

What motor is in your car?

Single cam VTEC is usually not too noticeable. The D16Y8 has a pretty loud cross over (primary camlobe to VTEC camlobe change) for a SOHC. SOHC vtec only happens on the INTAKE side. So yes, if you have a very loud exhaust, it will drown out the VTEC noise.

If this is a SOHC, it's not going to sound ANYTHING like a B16A's loud *** VTEC. Nor will it feel like it.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">00 si has a B16A. DOHC vtec is usually VERY noticeable. Except for on the GSR.</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you saying its not noticable on gsr motors???? i can feel the vtec in my boys 4dr gsr..IMO you really cant feel SOHC vtec once you feel the vtec from a DOHC you will know what it is suposed to sound and feel like...

Old 08-06-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: (blanco617)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blanco617 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

are you saying its not noticable on gsr motors???? i can feel the vtec in my boys 4dr gsr..IMO you really cant feel SOHC vtec once you feel the vtec from a DOHC you will know what it is suposed to sound and feel like...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a 99 gsr with an intake, header, and skunk2 manifold. Since VTEC engages at 4500, you really cant hear it that well. If you have the stock manifold, you can hear and the butterflies open at 6k. A lot of people think that VTEC is at 6k on GSRs.

Or maybe I'm spoiled lol. I had a B16A with skunk manifold, intake, header, exhaust....and that was a super loud crossover. I also have an S2000 with an intake...it sounds like the apocalypse when it goes into VTEC.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:50 AM

oOo well on all my gsr motors my vtec kickd hard one of them chirped the tires when vtec engaged at 4500k. the type r motor i had hit really hard vtec i had an edelbrock intake manifold on it and it was kick ***
Old 08-07-2007, 02:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (blanco617)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hondas dont really have a "limp mode". If it knocks...the ECU just retards timing as much as it can until it cant anymore. That's why turbo cars with piggybacks still blow up. There's really no limp mode. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I've never actually seen it's limp mode but I know it has it. I just assumed it had to be catastrophic to engage since I've seen it all and no limp mode.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blanco617 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can't feel jack **** in a SOHC, but you can definitely notice the pitch change. Especially if you have a louder exhaust.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my B18C5 its like night and day when the V-tec hits. I've had jackasses say what was that noise when you just went past? hahaha
Old 08-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (HarfordCTR)

but you won't feel that in a SOHC. U can barely even hear it in a SOHC
Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: (HarfordCTR)

so to be sure its working how would i tell?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You can't feel jack **** in a SOHC, but you can definitely notice the pitch change. Especially if you have a louder exhaust.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well...you'd notice it LESS with a louder exhaust since the VTEC is only active on the intake side on a SOHC.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98exturd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so to be sure its working how would i tell?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Set up a LED to light when the VTEC solenoid grounds out.

Usually when VTEC is inoperable, there is a check engine light either for the VTEC solenoid/pressure switch, or there is a CEL for some of the other things that i said before. Like a coolant temp sensor CEL or a speed sensor CEL for example.