Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Problem: Transmission isn't getting power to the wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 06:02 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem: Transmission isn't getting power to the wheels

Here's a quick little summary (err, not so quick).

We crash my 95' Civic into the side of the I-10 bridge near New Orleans. No real body damage was done - the driver did a real good job of saving it. What damage happened was my driver side lower control arm was snapped clean off. We had to get towed/flatbedded off the bridge (those highway service guys are awesome).

We ended up in Slidell, and had a horrible day. We were towed to an auto shop, but this auto shop was closed for the day... good thing Slidell had a Pepboys down the road. We showed up at opening time, and told them our problem. We then had to get the car towed AGAIN, and the guys looked at it. Later on, after we got our hotel room so we could get some rest, they told us that we have a problem... it would take a week for them to find a new lower control arm (3xx.xx dollars - ugh).

We had to be back in Savannah the following day, so me and my friend had to hunt down parts from a junkyard... Slidell has a TON of junkyards, so we were extremely lucky. We found a place that would pull us an LCA for 50 bucks, but we would have to wait till Monday. We said expletive it, and told the guy we'll pay him 150 right now to pull it off right then and there. We also had to pick up a rim, because my old front left wheel was mangled. We got both for 190 dollars.

We took our parts over to Pepboys, and we proceeded back to the hotel to get some god damned rest... we get a call later, not 30 minutes after I laid down to get some rest - bad news: our CV axle assembly was too bent to be drivable; we have to replace it. They told us that the total cost of all this work would be around 500 or so, so me and my friend felt extremely hopeless. We had only 200 dollars, and almost had no means (my friend had his parents wire him 300 already earlier). I ended up having to get 400 wired from mine to cover the cost of the repairs, and the trip home.

We have this all done by 7:00 P.M., so we get some rest. We don't wake up 'till 8:00 A.M. - we shower, go out to pick up our money, and then hit the Pepboys to pick up the car. We get the car, everything seems fine... there is a nasty little vibration in the car when you get up to speed, though. We believe it's just the mis-matched wheel that isn't balanced, and the car has an extremely right-hanging mis-alignment, so we think nothing of it.

We drive all 650 miles back to Savannah, and the vibration in the car has gone down significantly. I drive the car home, and call it a night to get ready for school. Wake up the next morning, and as I'm heading to school, I hear a "clunk". I was wondering what the expletive it was... I just thought my transmission slipped out of gear. I put it in gear, and try to drive like I usually drive - no go... the car is in first gear, and the clutch is completely disengaged - no stall. This is weird, I'm thinking... I don't know what to do. I have no idea how the hell my car drove over 650 miles and is now just crapping out on me again.

Anyway, I just got the car up on jackstands not long ago. It's looking like something in the shaft that connects to the transmission is disconnected - the transmission wants to turn something, but the axle isn't recieving any power. Anyone experience this before? Anyone know what I can do to fix it? I'm thinking I'm going to have to pull the CV axle assembly and inspect it. I'm hoping this isn't a transmission problem, but a CV axle assembly problem.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Cliffs: Got in a wreck, got it fixed (for a lot of money). Drove home, went to sleep, woke up, axle isn't turning anymore (new axle, supposedly).
Old 05-08-2006, 06:17 AM
* B A N N E D *

Please... anyone?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem: Transmission isn't getting power to the wheels (TypeRWanter)

neither wheels are turning?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:31 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Problem: Transmission isn't getting power to the wheels (dema12co)

Neither wheels are turning.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem: Transmission isn't getting power to the wheels (TypeRWanter)

clutch or flywheel could be shredded, but you would probably still see them trying to turn. Worst case your tranny is fuxed, could have destroyed some gears or your shift fork so it's not going in gear. Pop your axles out and see if the gears are turning, cause it could be your inner cv joints on both axles but thats not likely, other than that you might have to buy a new tranny or have yours rebuilt.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:49 AM
* B A N N E D *

Clutch/flywheel were working fine when I was driving to school - I mean perfect. I wasn't driving hard, or anything. I do believe my transmission is working - it wants to turn something, but it can't. We'll see soon.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

D or B series trans?

what motor/transmission?

when the car is up on jacks and both wheels in the air, start the car. put it in neutral. do the wheels turn slightly??
Old 05-08-2006, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if it didn't stall then its turning, but its not connecting to your clutch/gears/cv joints, if it wasn't slipping at all then it's probably your shift fork, try putting it in 3rd gear and see if it starts to turn, I think that tranny has a different shift fork for 1,2 and 3,4,5 but try all the gears to be sure.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:23 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mabye that new axle popped out of the tranny or otherwise broke. Look closer at it and pull it if you need to.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:26 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dema12co &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it didn't stall then its turning, but its not connecting to your clutch/gears/cv joints, if it wasn't slipping at all then it's probably your shift fork, try putting it in 3rd gear and see if it starts to turn, I think that tranny has a different shift fork for 1,2 and 3,4,5 but try all the gears to be sure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guarentee it's connecting to the clutch and the gears. I can engage the clutch, and hear it engage. My MPH shoots up. I could throw it in 5th gear and rev the ************ 'till fuel cut-off speed. I doubt it's the shift fork if the above two is the case.

The CV axle assembly is broken - I would put money on it. It was a remanufactured piece of **** from Pepboys. =/
Old 05-08-2006, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MooGoCow3)

the other axle should still be turning though
Old 05-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah but both would have to break in order for neither tires to be turning so it's more likely your shift fork, try other gears
Old 05-08-2006, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably the axle backed out or something. Check the axle they replaced. The other axle shouldn't turn unless he has an LSD.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:48 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Problem: Transmission isn't getting power to the wheels (jolt-tsp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jolt-tsp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Probably the axle backed out or something. Check the axle they replaced. The other axle shouldn't turn unless he has an LSD.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Roger.

The only axle that turns on my vehicle is the driver's side axle (I don't have an LSD). It probably did back up. I ran that ****** up to 120 in 5th... the wheel started turning.

It probably did back out, but having my transmission engage my axle at 120 mph was probably not a good idea - probably tore the **** out of my transmission and my axle. Most likely going to have to replace it - those Pepboys guys should foot my bill for the replacement.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:07 AM

That's wierd. Can you put it into gear without using the clutch?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem: Transmission isn't getting power to the wheels (jolt-tsp)

That should be pretty obvious from looking underneath though, the cv joint would be crooked as hell. Post what you find when you get it fixed man, Im curious.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im pretty sure the axles are fucked, spinning freey in the cv...but what astounds me is that BOTH would have to sprin freely....so i dont know
Old 05-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem: Transmission isn't getting power to the wheels (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

Thats what I thought, Jolt is sayin that since neither are spinnin then his axle popped out
Old 05-08-2006, 06:02 PM
* B A N N E D *

Got it fixed.

The axle did back out of the transmission.

Simple fix.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool i was gonna say that, push taht mother in and ur set, but u found out 1st
Old 05-08-2006, 06:23 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (CRXified)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXified &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cool i was gonna say that, push taht mother in and ur set, but u found out 1st </TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha, it was a bitch at first.

We didn't knock it in hard enough, so it slipped back out again after driving it about a mile.

We re-did it, and we made sure that bastard was in there (we hit it hard, and over 6 different sets of about 15 reps ).

Seems to be working great now!
Old 05-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it happens again, make sure that they actualyl put a snap ring on the axel. i had a moron mechanic actually put an axel in one of my 1st cars i had without a snap ring and i backed out the shop and the axel came out. needless to say i pushed it back in and he fixed it for free.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRXified)

next time man u dont need to tell a story lol also i would pull out the axle and make sure the inner gears on the inside of the axle is stripped. that would cause it to pop out like that.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i like stories