Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Problem replacing driver side axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem replacing driver side axle

Ok, I've been over the posts here to replace your axle, followed the example with pictures (nicely done by the way) but ran into a snag trying to remove the axle from the wheel spindle. Tried the "tapping" on it, no luck. Checked a couple of other sites and one guy says he uses a 5lb sledge to knock his back through the spindle... hmm... Needless to say, some gentle tapping and some more insistant banging and liberal use of some WD40 didn't have much affect.

This a 2-man job? One pulling out on wheel assembly while the other tries to knock the axle back thru the spindle? Adjust the wheel angle? Looking for a good suggestion short of disconnecting the whole wheel assembly, taking it out with the axle and then trying to free it.

Thanks for all the great advice here. Has helped a ton with other repairs.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Problem replacing driver side axle (wraetthu)

did you already take off the caste nut on the lower balljoint?? if yes then try putting a socket against the axle head and tap it while pulling out on the spindle
Old 11-12-2006, 08:18 AM

Yeah, got that off and was following the tips from https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=382416

it's a 93 Del Sol SI 1.6 without ABS. Already removed the caste nut on the lower ball joint and freed it and removed the thru bolt on the lower control arm. Tried tapping while pulling out on the spindle, no luck.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could be rust thats making it hard to get out get some Wd40 and spray it in and leave for a couple minutes. And then try poundind it a bit to see if it comes out.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Multi-paradigm

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wraetthu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looking for a good suggestion short of disconnecting the whole wheel assembly, taking it out with the axle and then trying to free it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you've tried everything you could then I don't know of any better solution than to do the above. That's how I did my last axle swap when the original axle wouldn't budge. It's not hard and doesn't take long at all to remove the wheel hub assy., and then I just used a large gear-puller and an impact gun to push out the spindle.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:33 PM

Have a feeling that wheel assembly is rusted solid on that axle...

Neighbor came over with a wheel puller made for pulling wheels off axles for some older cars and we slapped that sucker on. We cranked it hard, but the axle wasn't budging. Had already WD40'd the hell outta it yesterday and today. Things not looking good.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:56 PM

Your going to need to take it to a shop and get it pressed out. The same thing happened to my 99si, when i tried to replace an original axle. I'm 100% positive. Take it before you break something from all the baning all these other people are telling you to do.