Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Problem with my fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with my fuel gauge

Okay I just picked up a Civic Type R cluster and installed it on my 99 Civic Hatch. The the tach, speedo, temp work fine but am having problems with my fuel gauage moving around alot and some of the lights no workring. My fuel gauge on my stock cluster was working perfectly fine when I took it out so I dont think it would be the sending unit. I know that the fuel gauge may move around under quick acceleration and cornering but what else could be causing it to move around so much? Could it be my suspension being a litte on the stiff side? (I have buddy club n+ spec dampers and do alot of driving)

What could cause the lights not to be working if bulbs are good? (my door open light, low fuel and e-brake lights do not work. all of these worked fine on my stock cluster)

Oh, just in case this matters, the cluster only has 32,xxx miles on it
Old 04-04-2008, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Problem with my fuel gauge (714DC4)

Is it a stock replacement? also check fuses
Old 04-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with my fuel gauge (hondabadtoy)

I will check the fuses. Yeah its an EK Typr R cluster and was installed on a 99 civic hatchback.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 714DC4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay I just picked up a Civic Type R cluster and installed it on my 99 Civic Hatch. The the tach, speedo, temp work fine but am having problems with my fuel gauage moving around alot and some of the lights no workring. My fuel gauge on my stock cluster was working perfectly fine when I took it out so I dont think it would be the sending unit. I know that the fuel gauge may move around under quick acceleration and cornering but what else could be causing it to move around so much? Could it be my suspension being a litte on the stiff side? (I have buddy club n+ spec dampers and do alot of driving)

What could cause the lights not to be working if bulbs are good? (my door open light, low fuel and e-brake lights do not work. all of these worked fine on my stock cluster)

Oh, just in case this matters, the cluster only has 32,xxx miles on it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like your stupid JDM **** cluster is bad.

Why the hell does that sound like the fuel sending unit.

Action 1: You drive the car, original cluster, fuel gauge works fine.
Action 2: You swap out the stock one, for some JDM bullshit KPH one.
Action 3: fuel gauge doesn't work right.
Action 4: Some of the indicator lights on the cluster don't work right.

Your conclusion: Must be the fuel sending unit.
Your conclusion: And the fuses...

Actual conclusion: Holy **** - I got screwed when I bought this overpriced JDM peace of ****!

Alright:
I'm gonna try to not be a complete ******* here and help you out.

If that JDM crap cluster is like a normal cluster, than you can use a small screwdriver and unscrew the gas gauge from the front after you remove the clear plastic peace - you can put a new/working one in.

As for your dummy lights, there's just a light bulb on the back, unless the board is scarred, you should be able to change them out.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with my fuel gauge (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actual conclusion: Holy **** - I got screwed when I bought this overpriced JDM peace of ****!

Alright:

If that JDM crap cluster is like a normal cluster, than you can use a small screwdriver and unscrew the gas gauge from the front after you remove the clear plastic peace - you can put a new/working one in.

As for your dummy lights, there's just a light bulb on the back, unless the board is scarred, you should be able to change them out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

See its dumb asses like you that make me and others not want to ask for any help on here because all we get is your dumb answers and opinions and no real answer. I didnt ask your opinion on the JDM cluster did I *******? I simply asked a few questions to see if anyone on here has ever experienced this problem and maybe has a solutions.

So keep postings the great responses you jack ***!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

All the functions that now aren't working are associated with a single connector (connector B) at the rear of the cluster. It might be worth checking whether this connector isn't tightly seated.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with my fuel gauge (RonJ@HT)

Thanks for the info, one question though, which one is connector b? Is it the small or big connector?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Large connector, middle top of gauge assembly:

Old 04-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with my fuel gauge (RonJ@HT)

is there anything that I could use to clean the areas that make contact with the connector b? Do you think that I could switch over all the gauges from the Type R cluster over to my stock cluster and have it work?
Old 04-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 714DC4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

See its dumb asses like you that make me and others not want to ask for any help on here because all we get is your dumb answers and opinions and no real answer. I didn't ask your opinion on the JDM cluster did I *******? I simply asked a few questions to see if anyone on here has ever experienced this problem and maybe has a solutions.

So keep postings the great responses you jack ***!</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 Totally agree.

There are obvious bs posts where people could have just looked up the info themselves but there was no need to rip this guy a new *** for a legitimate question.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 714DC4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

See its dumb asses like you that make me and others not want to ask for any help on here because all we get is your dumb answers and opinions and no real answer. I didnt ask your opinion on the JDM cluster did I *******? I simply asked a few questions to see if anyone on here has ever experienced this problem and maybe has a solutions.

So keep postings the great responses you jack ***!</TD></TR></TABLE>

x3
Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with my fuel gauge (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Alright:

As for your dummy lights, there's just a light bulb on the back, unless the board is scarred, you should be able to change them out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

DAMN!!!!! Get a Girlfriend ..... or quit losing them !!!!!!