Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Problem with my 92 EG Automatic Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem with my 92 EG Automatic Overheating

I posted this in the ITR forum as well but obviously its better off in here.

Basically what it comes down to is my EG hatch is overheating, in a very serious way. It recently (withing the past few months) got a new radiator and thermostat, and it ran like a champ since. Now suddenly this problem. Heres the symptoms:

- Temp gauge way past "H" lol
- Coolant spilling/spewing/exiting/spitting/squirting out of overflow can
- Upper radiator hose WAS "bulging" somewhat, then went back to normal
- while engine running, upper radiator hose kinda soft, almost like no pressure in the system.
- the car does use up coolant somewhat (I think the head gasket is going), and I recently added some (withing the past few days) and drove fine afterwards.

Im guessing the first things to check would be pressure in the system. But I dont have a tester. As far as I know, there should be some pressure in the system, and the radiator hoses should be firm, not soft. Well mine was soft at the time of over heating. Since I know the radiator and thermo are new, Im thinking maybe water pump problem which has probably never been replaced (130K). Probably a good time to change the timing belt as well. Someone else mentioned the "fan switch". I havent been able to verify yet if the fan comes on or not (I didnt notice at the time either).

What do you guys think? I need this car back on the road ASAP so any help is appreciated.