Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

problem with keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with keyless entry

i had keyless entry in my 96 civic but didn't have the remote. so i finally got around to buying a remote and programmed it. the problem is, it only works if the stock stereo is plugged in. i have an aftermarket stereo, so i tried plugging in the big white plug into the aftermarket stereo, and the 2 green ones into the stock one. from what i've read on here, that should still keep the keyless entry system working. however, it doesn't. does anyone here know what the problem could be? it works fine if the white plug is plugged into the stock stereo, and doesn't if its plugged into the aftermarket one.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: problem with keyless entry (civicdxtyper)

I would also like to know how to get this to work. I dont even know if my car has the keyless entry "receiver" or whatever you wish to call it anymore.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a couple more things; if i plug the "security control unit" in, my lights blink and my horn goes off. if i just plug in the white and green plugs into the stock stereo itself, the keyless entry works fine. does anybody have any ideas at all? this is really pissing me off; i spent 25 bucks for the damn remote and it won't even work.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:34 PM

I belive the keyless entry unit is built into the factory radio, so with an aftermarket your losing that feature. I remember reading that somewhere. ill check into it a little bit more tho and let you know.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:50 PM

Default Re: problem with keyless entry (nocternaldragon)

what i did was i bought a T harness from circuit city (it's like $22 or so) & plugged it into the after market harness & the stock stereo & then juss threw the stock under the dash. it worked.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:44 PM

ACK:! sorry i did not know someone answered it completely before this. But i added a few things and gave instructions to it.

Ah, i had the exact same problem.
Yes, as someone mentioned before, you do need to buy a specific wire harness for 96-98 with keyless entry. In a short story... you mount the stock headunit down below the ac... i put mine where my cigarette lighter is. and u have both running. The new harness will give only power to the old headunit. Giving it power for the security system. (of course the one with the least wires goes to the old headunit) and then u splice all the wires and get them together with electrical caps.

I got the whole instructions from the following link
NOTE: i dont know if there is a rule against posting a URL. So please notify me if we cannot.

http://www.installdoctor.com/I...3.pdf

Of course u will need Acrobat reader to read .pdf files
Old 10-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problem with keyless entry (OverCorrupt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OverCorrupt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ACK:! sorry i did not know someone answered it completely before this. But i added a few things and gave instructions to it.

Ah, i had the exact same problem.
Yes, as someone mentioned before, you do need to buy a specific wire harness for 96-98 with keyless entry. In a short story... you mount the stock headunit down below the ac... i put mine where my cigarette lighter is. and u have both running. The new harness will give only power to the old headunit. Giving it power for the security system. (of course the one with the least wires goes to the old headunit) and then u splice all the wires and get them together with electrical caps.

I got the whole instructions from the following link
NOTE: i dont know if there is a rule against posting a URL. So please notify me if we cannot.

http://www.installdoctor.com/I...3.pdf

Of course u will need Acrobat reader to read .pdf files</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok im still a little confused. so do you have to connect ALL of the wires together for both stereos, or only certain ones?
Old 10-02-2004, 04:26 AM

The harness that you should buy will come with 3 heads. 1 for the actual wires, 1 for the new headunit, and one that has only 3 or 4 wires going into it, will go to the old head unit, these wires are mostly the power, so the anti theft will still receive power. So you pretty much have the old head unit set up below the AC and it will still receive power for the Keyless Entry.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problem with keyless entry (OverCorrupt)

ok i got it to work. i did it the hard/cheap way; i got a stock stereo plug out of another car and wired it to the one in the car already, however, i connected all of the wires, not just the 3 or 4.

ok, time for another question. apprarently my car has the stock security system in it; what exactly does it do? i noticed that my car locks automatically after a certain amount of time if i leave it unlocked, does it do anything other than that?
Old 10-03-2004, 01:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, time for another question. apprarently my car has the stock security system in it; what exactly does it do? i noticed that my car locks automatically after a certain amount of time if i leave it unlocked, does it do anything other than that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

just locks and unlocks without turning the key... no alarm for either motion or door opening...

I use my keyless system when I'm parked somewhere safe... I turn my alarm on from valet mode whenever I'm somewhere questionable...

Modified by SirSmokeAlot at 3:54 PM 10/3/2004